Vol. 2 Story 1: Genesis By Wraith

***WARNING*** This story contains mature themes and elements (Profanity, Violence, Drug Use, etc.)

The Matthias Chronicles

Vol. 2 Story 1: Genesis

By Wraith

 

Emma Frost sat in her office across a mahogany desk from one of her students, Jamal Brown. The young man was furiously twisting a piece of paper in his hand while he was seated in a leather chair. Emma crossed her fingers in front of her face and breathed deeply.

"Jamal, we've been over this before, I am not going to give you permission to go to Japan in order to get yourself killed."

Jamal stood up from the chair and tossed the crumpled letter at Emma.

"No offense Emma, but you don't seem to understand. My coming to you for 'permission' was just a courtesy. I'm going whether you like it or not. This isn't only about Tetsuo's blood feud with me. My old sensei is dying and I have to go to see him!"

Emma sighed and stood up, "Jamal, I understand your need to see your teacher; but I cannot in good conscience allow you to go and place your life in mortal danger.

Jamal looked into his teacher's eyes and held her hands in his, "Emma, look. I understand why you really don't want me to go, but it's no good. I think maybe you should talk to the Professor about all of this. It can't be healthy for us to feel like this. Like mother and son."

***********************

Chris' room was an absolute disaster area, but he wouldn't have it any other way. The room that he shared with the new student Paul Jordan was crammed full of djing equipment. In between the two beds that bookended the room was the centerpiece, the turntables. The wheels of steel and crossfader were patched into a mixing board, a multi-track recorder, amps and sub-woofers. All of which were paid for courtesy of Jamal's wager against the Lakers the previous week. At first Chris felt like he was inconveniencing Paul, but the new student insisted that it would be no problem since he expected to spend most of his free time in the science lab.

Chris was currently mixing together a new tape for Angelo. His headphones were on so he didn't disturb the rest of the house; this is why he didn’t hear Paige knocking on the door. After her knock wasn't answered, Paige gently pushed her way into the room and saw Chris spinning, fading and cutting on his turntables. She saw the slight smile on his face and was glad he was feeling good. What she wanted to tell him would be hard enough without it adding to an already sour mood. Paige sat back for a while and watched Chris work. Everything seemed fine until Paige noticed that Chris' equipment wasn't properly plugged in, or even plugged in at all for that matter. Upon closer observation, Paige noticed that the light blue hue that signaled Chris using his powers surrounded him and the electronic equipment.

Paige spoke up, "Chris, are you using your power to supply energy to all that stuff?"

Chris looked up and noticed for the first time that Paige was in the room. He closed his eyes and the hue dissipated and the devices slowly died.

"Yeah, it's really easy. I just have to allow the electricity my body has stored to flow into this thing," Chris pointed to a large funnel shaped apparatus that sat by his feet. "Dr. McCoy made this for me. It takes a small amount of my bioelectricity and boosts it as much as I need. Then I plug stuff into it and I'm my own generator!"

Chris stared to smile and make his way from behind the large turntable centerpiece and towards Paige. "But tell me the truth babe, you didn’t come here to find out the technical specs for this thing didja?"

Chris leaned in to kiss Paige and she backed away. "What's wrong babe, I forget to brush this morning or something?"

Paige sighed and spoke, "Chris, we need to talk."

***************************

Paul sat in the science lab focused on the red-orange specimen underneath the microscope. Only occasionally did he lift his head up from the magnified alien cells to look at the computer monitor to see if any new analysis had been made yet. Unfortunately, Paul was not being shown anything new about the foreign entity that now shared his body. Paul rubbed the bridge of his nose where his glasses rested and leaned back in the chair. As he waited for the computer to finish it's next test he thought about the event that led to him sharing his body with some foreign entity.

It had been almost a year since his trip to the site of the fallen meteor on his grandfather's property. As soon as they heardand felt the crash Paul, his parents and grandparents jumped up from the nice quiet dinner they were having to celebrate the grandparents' 55th wedding anniversary. They all ran to the large bay window that overlooked the 15 acres of property that served as the family's horse training grounds.

Paul was the first to see the glow emanating from deep in the property. Paul and his father, Jonas, volunteered to ride the old pickup out to the crash site to investigate. Once there, the father and son nearly crashed the '65 Chevy into the wading pool deep crater the meteor left in the ground. Fortunately they stopped just short of it. Jonas started to open the car door to get out, when Paul stopped him.

"Dad, wait! I suggested we take the old pickup because it has lead paint and the lead will block most radiation from entering the car."

"Then what the hell did we drive all the way out here for son?"

Paul smiled and took a small box with a rod and cable attached. "See this dad? This is a gigacounter I 'borrowed' from work. I only took it so I could analyze it and make my own. Looks like I picked a good weekend to bring bring it home huh?"

Jonas was too shocked by all the events that led up to being in a truck in front of a fallen meteor to lecture his son on thievery. Instead he told his son to throw the rod out of the window and let it read the radiation levels outside of the car. Once Paul was satisfied that the radiation levels weren't harmful to humans, the two opened the doors.

"I got tell ya son, me and your mom are dumb as rocks, we don't know where the hell you got your brain from but we're glad it wasn't us!"

"Dad, don't say that."

Jonas stared at the meteor and decided the best thing to do would be calling the authorities once the got back to the house. As Jonas investigated the surrounding area to check for any damage to the property (besides the huge hole in the ground of course), Paul decided to get a closer look at the meteor. Since the radiation levels were nil, and his pyrokinetic powers would shield him from any heat in or around the meteor; he figured there was no harm in touching the space rock.

The next thing Paul remembered was waking up in a hospital room. The doctors told him he had been in a coma-like state for the past three days. While he was out cold the doctors ran every test they knew and they all came out negative. Aside from the fact that he lost consciousness for three days, he was fine medically.

Back in the science lab in Salem Center, the computer made a loud noise, indicating that it completed its analysis. Paul looked up at the screen and his heart sank. Still the computer analyzed nothing new. However, a footnote did appear. The note mentioned that while there was no listing for the compounds in the substance, it could determine two things about it. First, it was indeed organic, not synthetic. Second, Dr. Reed Richards in New York studied a similar compound and he might be able to assist in labeling the substance.

******************

Sara cracked open her eyes and stole a glance at her surroundings. Zoë was still seated "Indian-style" directly across from Sara with her eyes closed. Earlier Zoë suggested that Sara try meditating with her. Zoë figured that since both their powers allowed them to communicate with nature, the two should try meditating outside on the school's lawn. This way they could be closed to nature. For Zoë meditation was old shoe, she did it at least three times a week. Sara however simply couldn't do it. Every time she closed her eyes images and thoughts forced their way into her mind. Zoë told Sara that meditation was all about clearing the mind of all conscious thought and allowing "emptiness to become energy". All that was well and good in theory, but it was nigh impossible for Sara. Her mind was too kinetic to sit still, so instead she sat and watched Zoë finish meditating.

When the dreadlocked blonde opened her eyes Sara asked her, "So what did you see?"

Zoë took a few deep breaths and spoke. "Well Sara, many people think that sharing what you experience during meditation will dilute future sessions. I, however, am not one of those people," Zoë stood up and grabbed Sara's hand to help her up. "C'mon inside and I'll tell you all about it."

*************************

Franklin Legionnaire sat in the conference room of one of the several Manhattan businesses vying for his personal contributions. This particular one was an international real estate corporation that was in dire need of financial assistance.

"Mr. Legionnaire, as you can see by the chart here, our potential for growth is unlimited!" A thirty-year old man in a ten-year old suit nervously smiled while Legionnaire sat back and thought.

Legionnaire wasn't thinking about their offer of course, he already decided what to do about their business. Rather, Legionnaire was pondering if he should initiate the next stage of his plan. Kidnapping Sara was just a test to see if Chris and Jamal would have the initiative to go after her on their own, a test they passed with flying colors. In the end, Chris' emotional state would be key in Legionnaire's dream of domination coming to fruition. The next step would deal directly with diluting Chris' emotional strength, thereby unleashing the young mutant's true power. The only question was if it was too soon what would the repercussions be, and could Legionnaire handle them?

"I'm sorry for being so rude sir, but it didn’t seem as though you were paying attention to our presentation."

Legionnaire's introspection was shattered by the interruption, "How observant of you! No, I was not paying attention to your presentation. This is because, quite frankly you have nothing of interest to say to me."

The ten suits in the conference room murmured to themselves. From the far end of the long oak table, the Vice President of the company stood up and confronted Legionnaire.

"Mr. Legionnaire, we understand that your time is valuable, but you need to realize that our time is just as valuable! If you called us to the meeting to waste it, then I suggest…"

"No, I suggest that you all leave this building, you are all relieved of your duties," Legionnaire stood up and stared out of the large window overlooking midtown Manhattan. "I put in the proper papers and sufficient moneys to buy out your entire corporation."

The Vice President turned three shades paler as Legionnaire's words sank in. "H-how is that possible? Our company's combined worth is well into the multi-billions! Why did you do this"

"Do not concern yourselves with the how's, only realize that I have decided that I do not need any of you in order to run this international business how I see fit," Legionnaire turned to face the stunned executives. "If you truly must know why I chose your organization to takeover in this hostile fashion, it is actually quite simple. First of all, your company has several international contacts, which will prove valuable to me in my personal exploits. Secondly, I now have legal access to the company's private island in the Mediterranean. And finally, I've always wanted an office with this view."

******************

Angelo leaned back in the school van's driver's seat, with one hand resting on the wheel. Chris sat next to him in the front passenger's seat and Jamal and Sara shared a rear seat. The four friends were driving to the airport to drop off Jamal for his flight to Japan.

Chris tossed the butt of his fifth cigarette in twenty minutes out of the window of the speeding van. His thoughts were jumbled and cloudy ever since Paige broke up with him earlier in the day. He thought a trip to the airport would clear his thoughts but so far it wasn't working.

Once they parked the van and walked to the terminal, the four had a little while to wait. Jamal and Sara stood by the large window hand in hand to watch for the plane. Meanwhile, Chris and Angelo stood in a bar across from the terminal Jamal and Sara were standing at. Their fake ID's worked well enough to get them in the door, so long as they didn't order anything. All Angelo and Chris really wanted was a place to smoke their unfiltered Marlboros at.

"Ange, do you think they love each other?" Chris asked pointing at Jamal and Sara.

Angelo blew smoke out of his mouth with a sigh. "Man, ever since hayseed broke up with you you've been down. Snap out of it hermano!" Angelo put his arm around Chris' shoulder, "Hey, it's like the crazy homeless guy in my neighborhood used to say: 'there's plenty of fish in the air'!"

Chris smiled and put out his half-lit cigarette in the ashtray and walked towards Jamal and Sara. Sara rested her head on Jamal's shoulder, her long, strawberry-blonde hair spread across her boyfriend's chest and back.

Chris tapped Jamal on his shoulder. "Hey bro, figured you'd want this to go with you," Chris handed Jamal a small dime bag of marijuana.

Jamal smiled, "Thanks but I'll pass. I'll need all my senses at my disposal for this trip. I have no illusions that I'll be doing anything less than fighting for my life over in Japan."

Jamal took a brief look into Sara's eyes, turned back to Chris and continued. "This guy Tetsuo hates me. He thinks I turned his father against him. Fact of the matter is Tetsuo's insistence on learning techniques that focus on death was what turned his father away. I was just a scapegoat."

At this point, Jamal motioned for Chris and Sara to sit in the chairs behind them. Angelo, still in the bar, was finishing his final cigarette and starting over towards the other three young mutants.

Jamal continued his tale. "About four years ago Tetsuo challenged me to a duel to the death. I was just a kid then; I had no idea what to do. So I ran. I ran from Japan, from Tetsuo, and the first real family I ever had."

Sara held Jamal's arm close to her chest. "I know that you have to go and I don't want to stop you, but this is so hard for me. I don't know if I'll ever see you again. Maybe I'm being too dramatic but I'm just so scared," Sara began to quietly sob.

Jamal held Sara close to him and didn't let go. "Sara, I always knew I would have to return to Japan one day and face my past. I just never knew that I'd be leaving behind someone I loved when I did it. But it's our love that takes away my fear. I know we are meant to be together, and I know I'll return to you soon," Jamal gave Sara a passionate kiss which she returned with gusto.

Angelo flashed a lopsided smile, "Jesus Christ you two are embarrassing! We can't take you guys anywhere without you two makin' a scene!"

Chris watched the two lovers and realized that he and Paige were never going to reach the level Jamal and Sara had. All he was doing was comparing himself to Jamal; it wasn't a healthy thing to do. He had to realize he was his own person, Jamal was just lucky to have found Sara. Chris didn't need to play catch-up. It was like Angelo tried to tell him; they were young, gifted and good-looking. No need tying themselves down so soon.

Out of the corner of his eye, Chris noticed the plane taxiing next to the terminal. 'Jamal, don't make me hose you two down, the plane is here."

Jamal and Sara broke off their kiss and walked to the gate.

"Sara, I'll call you, I promise."

With those words, Jamal walked through the gate and onto the plane headed for Japan.

******************

Emma sat in Xavier's study enjoying a hot cup cinnamon herbal tea. The two powerful psychics exchanged pleasantries and got down to the cause for the meeting between them.

"Charles, I'm sure you can sense my nervousness so I'll get right to it," Emma took a sip of her tea and placed the cup and saucer back onto the coffee table. "I feel I am getting too close to one of my students emotionally. The boy has had such a horrid childhood, I can hear in his mind he's crying out for a mother. I guess I'm all too willing to oblige."

Charles Xavier maneuvered his Shi'ar powered hoverchair adjacent to Emma Frost, "Emma, what you are feeling is perfectly fine. No matter how much we may try to keep ourselves distanced from our students, we are all human. Inevitably we will encounter others who affect us on an emotional level.

"Emma, there is nothing wrong with your feelings for this boy. However I must warn you against treating him any different than your other students. Not only do you run the risk of coddling him, as you tried to by attempting to keep him from going to Japan, but you also may alienate him from the other…" Xavier's voice trailed off, as if his mind was distracted.

Emma placed her hands on Xavier's, "Charles, what is it?"

Xavier's face wore a look of unadulterated shock. "Emma! Penance…suddenly I felt her mind, her essence ripped out of existence!"

Emma felt her heart skip a beat, "What are you saying Charles?"

"Penance is gone!"


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page