Vol. 1 Story 9: Mother Figure By Wraith

***WARNING*** This story contains mature themes and elements (Profanity, Violence, Drug Use, etc.)

The Matthias Chronicles

Vol: 1 Story: 9: Mother Figure

By Wraith

Chris was breathing so hard and fast, that he thought his lungs would explode out of his chest. His arms hung limp from over-exertion at his sides. He could barely stand up. He loved it.

Psylocke was having trouble containing the smile of pride that was creeping onto her face. Last month when Chris came to her and asked to be trained in the martial arts, Elizabeth thought it was a joke. The kid didn’t look too out of shape; but he had no discipline, no conditioning, and thought that all he needed to do was through a few punches and kicks and he’d impress her. Last month his ass was a lump of white bread; now he looked like he was carved out of wood.

"Chris, are you ready? I’m going to go all out, 100%. No stopping if you say yes."

Chris wiped the sweat off of his brow and took a sip of water from a sports bottle at his feet. He balled his hands into fists so tight his knuckles cracked. His eyes were white-hot balls of determination.

"Do it."

Psylocke took a deep breath and flew at Chris with her fists extended. This exercise was strictly a defensive one for Chris. Betsy would attack Chris as fast and as hard as she could. His job was to sit back and take it.

The flurry of white skin and purple fabric that assaulted Chris was unrelenting, yet Chris was blocking almost every hit that came his way. The ones that did get through to him hurt; a lot. Chris, however simply rolled with the punches so to speak.

"C’mon Storm, is that the best you’ve got?" Psylocke was yelling at Chris as more and more of her punches penetrated his defenses. "This is pathetic! I’m almost ashamed to tell people that you’re my student!"

Throughout the diatribe, Chris’ concentration was focused on the task at hand. Despite her harsh words Psylocke was amazed at Chris’ skill. Hits that he was blocking with ease would’ve felled a bear. The ones that got through Elizabeth herself wasn’t sure she could’ve blocked.

After the exercise both mutants, teacher and student, stood gasping for precious Bio-Sphere air to refill their overworked lungs. Chris cracked a smile, he was getting better and he knew it. When Chris approached Betsy about training she asked him why. He told her that he wanted to relate to his half-brother, Jamal, better. Jamal was an expert martial artist and Chris wanted a common link. He figured that if he learned martial arts the two could train together. The more he trained with Betsy, the more he was enjoying studying the arts. He felt more energized and confident. He had only a fraction of the skill that Jamal possessed, yet felt that he could fight anyone in the world and kick their ass! He had to wonder how Jamal felt knowing he could kill anyone with his bare hands within 15 seconds of seeing them.

Elizabeth was enjoying training Chris as much as he was enjoying being taught. It had been a while since she challenged herself with a task she was not entirely sure she could complete. But she was determined to turn this boy into a highly trained and tuned fighting machine. She might’ve been obsessing because of the recent news her OB/GYN gave her. After a routine check-up, her doctor told her that she would never have children.

*****************

It had been close to 3 ½ months since Jamal was able to participate in extracurricular activities and he planned on making up for all the lost time tonight. His original sentience for leading a rouge mission to save Sara was a 3 months suspension. Legionnaire’s "friendly visit" landed Jamal in the infirmary for the remainder of his suspension and another 2 weeks after. But today was the first Friday since he got back on his feet and he was going to milk it for all it was worth. However since it was Friday, it also meant that he had a meeting with Emma in the Danger Room. It would be the first time he seriously used his powers since leaving the sick bed that was his home for a month-and-a-half.

Emma was sitting in the Danger Room’s "Victorian Breakfast" program. Jamal entered slowly and uneasily.

"Uh, Emma. Am I early, or late, or something?" Jamal looked around the holographic illusion and was awe-struck. The room was a huge Victorian England dining room complete with a large fireplace, a chandelier, a large window leading to a balcony that overlooked the city; and Emma sitting at the head of a long dinner table. A full staff of chefs, maids, and butlers were waiting on Emma as she slowly ate her breakfast of a scone, a croissant, eggs, and fruit. Between sips of her mocha, Emma was highlighting stock quotes in the New York Times. As Jamal made his way to the empty seat next to Emma, she looked up and took off her black reading glasses.

"Sit Jamal. No you aren’t late or early. I just wanted you to get a proper breakfast. For once." At this, Emma turned her head back to her paper, made a few final notations, and put the paper away. Emma folded up her reading glasses and turned to Jamal. "Please Jamal, eat!"

Hesitantly, Jamal sat down and ate some of the eggs and fruit on the plate. After he had eaten his fill, Jamal looked at Emma and asked her what the catch was.

"No catch Jamal, I just thought you might want a full breakfast before your training session. And I wasn’t going to take no for an answer." Emma cracked the most honest smile Jamal had ever seen.

Jamal couldn’t understand why Emma was so different when the two of them were alone. When the other students were around, Emma (or rather "Ms. Frost" in situations like this) treated Jamal as she treated the other students. But when they were alone Ms. Frost (no, "Emma" again) was as warm and caring as the mother he wished he had. He didn’t need to use the psychic powers he learned to use from her, to know that Emma felt a strong bond with him.

"Well, thanks for the food mo--," Jamal stopped himself as he felt the maternal title start to come out of his mouth. As he halted, he noticed a brief, bright smile cross Emma’s face. A smile of satisfaction. "Uh… I mean ‘thanks Emma’"

"No problem, Jamal. Well if you’re finished eating, why don’t we start your training?" Emma stood up from the table and spoke out loud to the Danger Room’s embedded microphones. "Danger Room, close program VB1710. Open program JBW1980."

The Victorian surroundings slowly dissolved away into a static circuit board-like background. Jamal’s old torn sweatsuit that acted as his nightclothes also dissolved away, and was replaced with his school training uniform.

"Okay Jamal, we have a lot to catch up on, but why don’t we start with any new skills you want to explore."

"Alright. Well I was thinking, and I never really got to test out Gambit’s power since I observed it a while backÄ . It seems like it would be quite invaluable in an actual combat scenario," Jamal paused for a beat and cracked a smile. "Besides it looked really cool!"

**************

3 bags. Jubilee had packed everything she thought that she would need for spending about a month halfway around the world into 3 bags. This had to be wrong! Jubes knew herself and knew she was a creature of excess; 3 bags was a light weekend for her. She looked at her N*Sync clock and saw the time, Logan would be around to pick her up and drive her to the airport in about 10 minutes and she didn’t want to keep the ornery Canucle-head waiting.

"Well Lee, I guess this is it."

Jubilee recognized the voice before she looked up and saw the reflection of Monet in her mirror. "Yeah I guess so M-ster. God, I'm so scared! I feel so nervous, like I won't fit in, in China."

"Don’t worry Lee. I'm sure your ever-effervescent nature and religious fascination with all things monetary and material will go over well in the largest Communist superpower in the modern world," Monet cracked a sly smile.

Jubilee smiled back in spite of her self and managed to spit out a "Fuck you, Monet!" through her uncontrollable laughter.

Jubilee felt infinitely better as she shared a laugh and strong hug with her best friend before leaving for her native land.

*************

"I love you Paige."

Paige looked at the computer monitor and couldn't believe what she just read. The instant message was sent from Jono as he sat in the computer lab on the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning campus. Paige was taken aback by the bold frankness of the statement. Ever since he ran into her last week at her job, Jono had been in contact with her constantly through the internet. He had told her things like "I cant wait till I see you again", or "I miss you so much". But never had he used the word "love" before. That word scared her coming from him. He had hurt her so many times before with his careless handling of her feelings and his indifference to her. Could he truly have changed as much as he said he had? How could she know for sure?

"Don't say that Jono. You don't really love me. Please don't say that."

"Paige, don't tell me how I feel. I've spent these last few months with Xavier learning to find and accept my feelings. I can finally admit what I've felt in my bones since we first met. Don't ignore what I'm telling you, because I mean it."

Jono wasn't making this any easier for her. She was still involved with Chris and didn't want to lose him as a friend. She feared that if she left Chris for Jono that's exactly what would happen. To make matters worse, Paige needed to make up her mind soon; Jono would be rejoining the School for Gifted Youngsters next Sunday.

*************

Sara looked up from her notebooks and took another sip of tea. She felt like she was finally "getting it" when it came to elementary calculus. She was worried originally, but Monet helped explain some of the more confusing aspects to her in plain English. Sara had her Calc test in about an hour and a half and she was going to nail it! A knock at her door interrupted her studying.

"Come in," the door opened and Sara saw Jamal standing in the doorway.

"Hi Sara. How've you been?"

"Hey Jamal, I missed you while you were gone.z Are you feeling better?"

"110% Sara. In fact I'm feeling so good I thought we had enough time before class to…"

Sara tried her best to look shocked at Jamal's suggestion. "Jamal?! You're incorrigible!" However she got up to close and lock door to her dorm room. She didn’t bother putting a sign on the outside because her roommate, Paige, was in the computer room and would be until class started for the day. That left 90 minutes for Jamal and Sara to be alone for the first time in almost 4 months.

*************

Chris had just gotten out of the shower in the male common bathroom when he noticed Jamal coming in with a washcloth, towel, toothbrush, and toothpaste.

"Hey bro, cuttin it a lil close ain't ya? I mean class is in about 15 minutes and you're just getting in here now?"

Jamal ran some hot water into the sink and added some soap as he took off his shirt. "Sorry, but I was *ahem* detained in getting ready, if you know what I mean."

Chris laughed as he left the room with his towel around his waist and headed towards his and Ev's room in order to get dressed. On his way he passed Emma.

"Chris, have you seen Jamal?"

"Yes Ms. Frost. He was in the common bathroom just now."

Emma thanked him and proceeded to the bathroom. Once inside she immediately was hit by a blast of steam coming from the sink as Jamal began to sink wash.

"Jamal, why aren't you on your way to class?"

Jamal turned around with a start to face Emma. "Jesus, Emma what are you doing in here? I could've been completely nude!"

"Oh please Jamal, modesty has no place with anyone as clinical as me. I was simply wondering if you had studied for your Calc test today."

"Calc…Oh yeah! I studied with Sara just earlier today."

"Jamal, what was lesson number one in the handbook?"

Jamal sighed as he and Emma repeated the rule in unison: "'Don’t lie to the telepath'."

"Right. Now tell me, why did you lie?"

"If you're a telepath why did you ask?"

"I simply want to be sure that I'm raising my child-- All my children the right way. I'm very proud of you as an individual Jamal, and I want only the very best for you. So try to understand, when it seems like I'm giving you a rough time, its only because I care."

Jamal didn't know what to say. He was not used to this type of maternal love from anyone. He had been used to not having any parental love, but here was Emma opening her heart to him, and he instinctively wanted to open back. His emotions overwhelming him, he did the only thing he thought he could at that point. He opened his arms, embraced Emma, and cried onto her shoulder as she cried back.

*************

Jubilee was holding Logan's hand so tightly he felt like his fragile bones were collapsing in on themselves. This wasn't the case of course, but it was indeed a painful situation. Logan had been away from Jubilee before, but only when he felt she was safe and among friends. Here she was going to China with a family he never met before and, to the best of his knowledge, didn't even know that she was a mutant.

Jubilee and Logan were standing by the boarding gate waiting for the Yuens to arrive.

"Jubilation honey, are you sure this is the right gate?" Logan's gruff primeval voice almost growled out.

"Yes Wolvie. We're, like, 15 minutes early just clam down!"

"'Calm down'? You're the one sweating bullets girlie," Logan smiled at the 15-year-old who was almost as tall as him (which wasn't saying much).

A group of three people appeared in the terminal, the youngest and shortest of whom was running as fast as his little legs could carry him.

"JUBILEE!!!!" Jing raced towards the young mutant who had her arms wide open, ready to embrace the boy.

"Jing! How are you? Jing, here, I'd like you to meet my best friend in the whole world! His name is Logan. Say hi to Logan, Jing."

Jing looked at the unshaven, wild haired man and smiled. "Hi Logan!"

Logan smiled back at the kid. The Yuens walked up to Logan and spoke to him about the nature of the trip.

As she walked towards the gate that led to the plane, Logan grabbed Jubilee and held her tight.

"You're leaving a little girl, but you're coming back a young woman. I love you Jubilation Lee."

Jubilee teared up as well as Logan. "I love you too Logan."

*************

Sean was seated in his office gazing at the estimates on his computer screen. Emma was handling all of the classes today because Sean was busy trying to figure out how they were going to accommodate all the new students Xavier was referring to them. First off, Jono was due back next week that was no problem because he still had his room set up. But Charles had at least 5 new students all ready to be enrolled.

There simply was no space left. They would have to physically expand the campus in order to accommodate the 5 new students. And, if Charles' other prospects decided to join the new 5, the school might need to split into two totally. The school was growing and Sean didn't know whether he should be glad that more young mutants were getting the proper support base they needed, or if he should be frightened that so many young lives were in his hands.


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page