NEW ARRIVALS Part Three of Three - "Retrospective" By Vincent Valentine


Disclaimer:
All copyrights are property of their respectful owners, and were only used for a bit of subliminal advertising. Neo and Angel are my characters (If I ever get round to using their names, that is!). Don't forget to read Parts One and Two before you read this! Thanks fer listening kids! - Vincent V

A few hours later...

"So whaddaya think of the new guys?" Jubilee looked up from her comic book, and asked the group.

"They seem nice, but they look a little weird," Paige replied.

"How about you, M?" Jubilee asked.

"What should I say, Lee?"

"Whatever you think about them,"

"It's too early for me to make any judgements, Lee, but they seem nice enough," Monet replied.

"Stop calling me LEE!" Jubilee jumped out of her chair, shouting at M. "You know it annoys me!"

"Calm down Jubes," Angelo playfully wrapped his fingers around her, and shook her a little.

"Unless you want to be taken to the hospital with third-degree burns on your hands, Espinosa, then you'll let me go!"

"Okay, okay, Sheesh!" Skin returned to his chair, and Jubilee stormed out.

Elsewhere...

"Tell me, Steve, what skills do yer have?" Banshee asked.

"Well, I'm quite good at drawing, and I'm an ace photographer, and..." Steve began.

"No, no, no, I mean mutant skills. Yer powers, laddie, yer powers!" Banshee slapped his forehead in dispair.

"Oh, right! Well, I've got these for a start," Steve pointed to the huge fangs in his mouth.

"And what else?"

"Well, then there's these," Steve took off his shirt, and very slowly, for dramatic effect, unfolded his dark-purple wings. Sean looked impressed.

"So yer a vampire then, laddie?" he asked sceptically.

"I guess."

"Can yer fly with them?"

"I don't know," Steve replied. "I haven't tried to yet,"

"Is that all?"

"No, I can do this," Steve raised his hand, and held out his fore and index fingers, before shooting a small blast of Psionic energy at the wall. It left a large burn.

"Hmm, that's original," Cassidy replied seriously.

"Can I just ask you something?" Steve put his shirt back on, and sat down.

"Sure,"

"Why do you all keep calling each other different names? Like, Jonothon. Sometimes you'll call him Jono, and then you'll call him Chamber, and then Jonothon. Why?" Banshee started to laugh.

"Oh, yeah. Chamber is Mr. Starsmore's nickname, because of the chamber, so-to-speak, of energy inside him. We all have nicknames, for one reason or another. You'll be needin' one laddie,"

"Go on then, give me a nickname," Steve ordered. Banshee thought for a moment.

"Angel," he said.

"Angel? Why Angel?" Steve asked.

"Because of those huge wings ye have, they kinda make yer look like an Angel," Banshee explained. Steve gave this a bit of consideration.

"Cool. It sounds good, like, uhh, I dunno, something Gothic, or summat like that! Groovy!" Angel said. Banshee stared at him.

"Groovy?"

"Sorry!"

Elsewhere...

Jobie wandered down a corridor somewhere on the Campus. They'd left him alone, after showing him to his room, and that's it. 'Go have a look round!' they said. 'Tour the campus. Get used to the place!' and now he was lost! Damn them and their lonesome ways. He walked down a small set of stairs, turned round a corner, and found himself in somebody's room.

"Hmm, posters of British rock bands, boxes full of vinyl records," Jobie plucked one out of a box. "Souixee and the Banshees? Never heard of 'em," He chucked it carelessly back into the box, and continued rummaging around.

Can I help yer? Jobie spun round.

"Huh? Oh, you're Chamber, aren't yer?"

That I am mate. Can I help yer? Chamber asked again.

"Err, yeah. Sorry, I got lost. Where the hell am I?" Jobie asked.

In my room! Chamber replied.

"Oh, Sorry!" Jobie walked past Chamber, and left the basement. "Can you show me around? If yer not too busy?" Jobie asked.

Sure, follow me, Chamber led Jobie down the hall, and through a large set of doors. Jobie stared in amazement at the complex machinery and massive computer systems.

"What is this place?" he breathed.

"The world's only fully-interactive Bio-Sphere," M explained, as she appeared out of nowhere. Jobie spun round.

"A what?"

We call it the Danger Grotto (Or Danger Room, if you want! I don't really care! - Vincent) Chamber explained. This is the room where we train, putting our mutant powers to good use. Fancy a go?

"Do I ever!" Jobie ran forwards. M sat down, and began to punch at the keyboard.

"Okay Jobie, this is a simple training exercise, used for mutants who have no advanced combat skills as of yet,"

"Hey!" Jobie yelled. "I resent that!"

"No, all I mean is that your poison ability won't be of any use here, as you can't poison these, ahem, simulated targets. People like Skin and Synch use this program, merely to improve the physical aspects of their bodies," M explained.

"Oh, right! I get it!" Jobie braced himself. "I'm ready," Just as M was about to start the program, Banshee and Angel walked in.

"Hold it!" Banshee yelled. "What's going on here?" M and Chamber spun round.

Sorry Mister Cassidy, we were just introducing Jobie to the machinery. Chamber explained.

"Well, I'm all up fer intr'ducin' new students tae th'equipment, but yer know the rules!" Sean instructed. "Jobie, yer have tae get changed into the Generation X uniform,"

"OH, MAN! I hate uniforms. They remind me of high school!" Jobie slinked off.

"That way's the changin' rooms," Banshee pointed out. "Ye can get changed too, Angel, if yer fancy a go!"

"Oh, cool!" Steve ran into the changing rooms. Both new students re-appeared five minutes later, dressed in black leather suits. Steve had a pair of black gloves and Ray-Ban sunglasses, and Jobie had a large black overcoat, which stopped somewhere above his ankles.

"HEY! How come he gets a black leather coat? I want one!" Steve moaned.

"Stop yer whingin' and get in the machine!" Banshee instructed.

"Who first?" Monet asked.

"I'll go first," Jobie stepped up, and soon his surroundings changed. He was in a dark room, possibly part of a warehouse, as there were boxes and barrels scattered around, and there were four or five men approaching him, from one end of the room. Jobie tensed.

"Wanna play?" He jumped forwards, legs outstretched, and smacked one of the men in the face, before spinning round and launching a volley of punches to his stomach. He grabbed the man by his throat, and flung the man over his shoulder, into a pile of boxes. Another man jumped at him, and Jobie kicked him in the stomach as he fell. The man bent double, and Jobie raised his knee, hitting the man in the face. As he staggered backwards, Jobie spun round, one foot outstretched on the floor, and tripped the man up from behind.

The three remaining figures pulled out handguns, and began to fire. Jobie did a low backflip, dodging the bullets, which shattered small holes in the floor, in clouds of dust. He ran forwards, and shoulder barged one of them, before smacking him in the arm, causing him to drop the gun. Jobie's left arm shot out, and grabbed the gun, before pistol-whipping the man. Jobie stood up, gun raised at the two figures that were still standing.

"Come get some!" Jobie yelled, before blasting at the figures. They seemed to move at incredible speeds, avoiding the bullets effortlessly. One appeared right next to him, and pressed his gun against Jobie's head. Instinctively, Jobie ducked as the figure fired, and brought an elbow straight into the man's groin. The figure bent double, and Jobie brought his fist down on the man's neck. There was a loud snap, and the figure crumpled. The last man stood his ground. Jobie stared at him.

Without warning, the man fired. It caught Jobie off-guard, and hit him straight in the shoulder. Jobie staggered back, and screamed an expletitive (Which the author would've put in, but I don't want to scare the kiddies! - Vincent). "EAT THIS!" Jobie screamed. He lept into the air, and seemed to float slowly down towards the man. He stopped right in front of him, and furiously pounded the man, his fists and feet a blur, the figure effortlessly blocking Jobie's moves.. Two minutes passed, and Jobie raised the gun.

"BLOCK THIS, ASS-HOLE!" He pariodied the Matrix, and blasted the man out of existence. The room faded, and was replaced with the familiar setting of the Danger Grotto. Jobie sank to his knees, and gasped for air.

"Woah! Dude, you're pretty good!" Steve ran to Jobie's side, and placed a hand on hs shoulder. "You okay?"

"Damn! That was fun!" Jobie gasped.

"Hmm," Banshee rubbed his chin, as he watched Steve help Jobie up.

"He reminds me of that guy in the film The Matrix," Monet said.

You mean Neo?

"No, I mean Jobie,"

Ha ha. Neo's the name of the guy in the matrix,

"Oh, right,"

"Well then, that's what we'll call him," Banshee said. "Y'hear that Jobie? We're gonna call ye NEO!"

"Thanks," Jobie staggered forwards. Steve stepped into the machine.

"My turn," An evil smile spread across his face. M pressed a few keys, and then looked up.

"Right, Angel, listen carefully. This is merely an accuracy test, designed to see how well you can cope with numerous targets coming at you at once," Steve nodded. "Neo's test was different, as he was attacked by one person at a time. You will be attacked by several at the same time, and your objective is to blast them all. Understand?"

"Do it," Steve said. The room turned black, and three targets popped up. Steve effortlessly blasted them, shooting Psionic blasts from his fingertips. Four shot up behind him, and he spun round and wasted them. Six surrounded him, and were blasted into oblivion.

"How's he coping?" Banshee asked.

"Well enough," M said. "He's not nervous, and he's got a very good shot,"

"I've learned from exprience, don't take this guy on at Time Crisis, 'cos he'll beat you!" Neo commented.

Steve blasted another six targets that had surrounded him. Several minutes passed, without another target.

"Hey! What's happened?" He yelled. Instantly, ten targets shot up. Steve nailed five, and spun round, demolishing one with his elbow. They froze.

"Okay. Let's see how you cope without your powers Angel!" M's voice boomed out. "From now on, no shooting!"

"Damnit!" Steve cursed through gritted teeth. The targets dissapeared, and were replaced by targets shaped like humans. Steve kicked one, and it shattered. He punched one infront of him, back-elbowed one behind, and spinning kicked a third. Ten grouped around him, and he flipped onto his hands, stretched out his legs, and began to spin, destroying all of them. He stood up.

"Hows that for ya?" He yelled.

"Yeh can shoot again, but let's see yer handle THIS!" Banshee screamed out. Twenty targets surrounded him. Steve muttered something, and tore off the top-half of his uniform. He stretched out his wings, and lept into the air, flying upwards.

"Whaddya know? I can fly with these things," He looked down, put both his hands together, and charged the Psionic energy. A faint orange glow surrounded his hands, and he held out both fore and index fingers on both hands.

"GET SOMMA THIS!!!!" He screamed, and let rip. A huge blast of energy hit the targets, and obliterated them.

"WOAH!" Banshee gaped at the monitor. "M, end the program, before he blasts the machine," Monet pressed the keypad, and Angel dropped to the floor.

"Well done laddie! That was brilliant!" Banshee ran over, and congratulated him. "Yer did us proud, lad,"

"Thanks," Steve put his shirt back on.

"Wow. Hey Jono, did you see those huge..."

I saw them, Monet. I guess that's how his powers manifested.

"Dude, that was awesome!" Neo ran to Angel.

"I know,"

"So, it looks like you two are joining us then," Monet stood up, and walked over.

Yeah! Welcome to Generation X, guys!

End. (Hooray! - Vincent)

NB: Something's been playing on my mind. If you think that I should write a scene where Jobie talks to Kat about Steve (Cos we all read Steve talking to Lisa about Jobie, so I thought it would only be fair...), email me and let me know, cos I've been wondering if I should or not. My email's :

Night_runner@Angelfire.com

Even if you just want to tell me how good (or Crap) these three stories were, I love to hear from yer! Until next time!

Excelsior!

Vincent Valentine

20-Feb-2001


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page