"Bastion, head of Zero Tolerance, had attacked the school," Scott shouted. Emma understood his reaction. Two of the X-Men had manage to infultrate Bastion's Organization. She only found out recently how dangerous this group was.
Jean then said, "Scott, I don't know, but I think that events here lead to the stop of Zero Tolerance." This was news to Emma, to hear that the group had been stopped. She knew that Bastion was no longer a problem, but that Zero Tolerance was gone. Jean then said, "But, how did Rich know who Bastion was?"
Sean then said, "Remember how I had said that Rich believed he lost a member of his family." It was then Emma realized and understood everything that Rich had said at that confrontation. She had figured out the biggest secret in Rich's family, and finally saw how much protection that Rich's family tried to give him from the truth.
"You mean to say that Rich is related to Bastion. That's imposible. Zero Tolerance was shown to be an advanced form of Sentinels." Scott said.
Emma finally said, "With human minds. Apparently Bastion joined the project and became what he was."
Jean looked at her and in a questioning tone, said, "Was?"
"Bastion, previously before joining Zero Tolerance, was named Bastion Cale. This was Rich's uncle. Since Rich's ability manifested, Rich was told his uncle commited suicide. Until the day that Bastion attacked, Rich believed it." She then told them what had happened that day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emma and the others arrived on the scene to see that the man holding Jubilee and Rich were motionless, as if the two had been frozen in time. Emma said to Sean, "What is happening?"
Sean was watching and said, "I dinnae. Rich said he heard Jubilee scream, and he and Yvette were going to check it out. He called us to head out and when we all get here, Rich and that man seem to appear as if they are frozen in time."
Finally, the man spoke, "Richard, what are you doing here? Did these mutants kidnap you?" The man must have know Rich, but how did he know Rich. Emma tried to telepathicly tell him to release Jubilee only to see a bigger problem.
She turned to Sean and said, "He's a Sentinel. He must be a new form of Sentinel. But I don't know how he knows Rich." She saw a look in Sean's eyes as if he knew the answer.
Just as Sean was about to say something, Rich finally spoke to man, "How can you say that. You always told me all people were created equal and should be treated that way. I came here by choice, but why are you here? I thought you were dead."
"Mutants are not people, Richard, they are freaks of nature that should be eliminated." Emma saw Jubilee tremble in fear. Rich still had his calm demeaner on, although it was becoming evident that he was struggling. The man continued, "Apparently your parents were trying to protect you from the harsh truth of the world with lies. The world needs to be clensed of mutants. Now you can't be here by choice, Richard, because you are not a mutant."
Emma could tell Rich was almost upset at this. Rich approached the man and said, "I am a mutant, Bastion. It was a few days after my ability appeared that I was told you killed yourself, and now I find that was a lie to protect me from the worse thing of all. You always told me to treat people as equals, regardless of what they were. Now I find out that you are the biggest hypocrite in the world. I now wish you were dead. The man I saw as a second father, would rather see me dead. If you are going to do anything to them, you will have to kill me first." With that, Rich closed his eyes and stood at attention.
Nobody moved, in fear that one wrong move would cost Rich's, or Jubilee's life. Emma was frightened, because Rich appeared to know Bastion on a first name basis, and Sean knew the connection. Emma tried again to scan Bastion's mind. This time, she saw what appeared to be a conflict. She finally detected a human part to Bastion. The human half seemed to be fighting against the Sentinal part. Eventually, the human part of Bastion said to her mind, as if it knew she was there, [Ms. Frost, I don't want to kill my nephew. I never knew he was a mutant. I always told him to treat people with kindness. I always told him to strive for a better world, and now, the computerized part of me says I must kill him, for he is a plague to mankind.]
She mentally spoke back to Bastion. [He came here to do just that. All of these children came to do exactly that. To learn to use their abilities to help humanity.] She had hoped that those words might prevent a catastrophy.
Mentally again, the human Bastion said, [I'm sorry, for what I have done. Please make my apologizes to my nephew, I just hope he will listen. Tell Ms. Lee to move away.] Emma was confused by the nephew statement, but she didn't have time to think about it. Upon hearing that, she opened her eyes and saw Bastion release Jubilee. He made a couple of motions, pressing what appeared to be buttons. Emma realized what Bastion was doing. The Sentinel, formerly a human being, was going to take his own life.
"Jubilee, get away fast. Nobody move." She yelled to everyone, just as Monet started to fly towards Rich. Emma quickly went into Monet's mind and said, [Child, get back or else you will get injured.]
Monet answered back in an upset psionic tone, [But, Rich..]
[Rich will be fine. He will not get injured.] Just then, an explosion happen right were Bastion was standing. There was a red spray that lashed out everywere, and the metal that was in him had atomized. Emma noticed that Rich had finally moved. She watched as Rich opened his eyes and looked around. He saw the blood and noticed that Bastion had died. Instead of getting upset, Rich's face became stone cold. He appeared as if nothing in the world would phase him. It was then Emma realized how bad he had been affected by Bastion's death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monet watched as Jean Summers gasped and said, "That must have been terrible for him, to watch a family member kill themselves."
Emma said, "That was what lead to the breakdown, but we didn't know how sever it was until recently. We figured that we needed to keep an eye on Rich. He was upset, but he didn't want to show it, mainly because of what he had found out that day."
"I understand, but how serious had it become?"
Monet answered Jean's question, for she felt she had to tell all this. "Rich tried to take his own life."
Scott Summers asked the question, "How did he try and do this?"
"I don't think he truely wanted to go through with taking his life. He said that drugs would kill him, due to the medication he takes, but if he wanted to face death, he wanted it to be on his terms." She then told them of that terrible day that Rich tried to take his life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monet didn't know what to say. When Penny had asked for her help in keeping an eye on Rich, it hit her as a shock. Penny always wanted to spend time alone with Rich, but since everything that had happened, with Sean's cousin, and with Bastion, Rich just avoided everyone. Emma wanted everyone to watch Rich, just in case he tried something foolish, like taking his own life. Penny was almost always watching Rich, but today Penny seem more worried than usual. They had seen Rich leave the guys dorm and start walking into the woods when they started to follow, far enough not to be detected, yet close enough to watch him. Penny broke the silence by saying, "Monet, I've been worried about Rich lately. He has been keeping his distance from me. After what happened with Sean's cousin, I was the only person he wanted to be near, and now."br> Monet could see the worry in Penny's eyes. Rich meant alot to her, and Rich was the one that got her to talk to them. Now Rich seemed to be isolating himself from everyone. "We are all worried about Rich, but he is doing his best to isolate himself. That is why Emma wants us to keep an eye on him at all times, to keep him from doing something foolish. I don't think that he is going to try something here, but we will watch him just in case."
Penny seemed realeaved to here that. After a while, Monet noticed that Rich had been walking in the same direction and that the school was no longer in sight. She wondered if Rich had gotten lost. If he had, then they would help him back, and all attempts at keeping an eye on Rich would be ruined. She saw a building in the distance, a lighthouse. She thought that Rich was going to ask about where he was there. It was then that Monet notice that Penny was tensing up as her skin tensed up. Monet turned to Penny and said, "What's wrong?"
There was a worry in Penny's eyes as she spoke, "Rich is going to kill himself. He's.. He's.."
"He's going to what, Penny?"
"He's going to hand himself over to Emplate." Monet was shocked to hear this. Rich must have found out where Emplate's lair was from either Penny, or from Emplate when he attacked. Penny then said, "That's Emplate's lair. We have to stop Rich." Monet didn't need to hear any more. She flew up into the air and grabbed Penny in her left hand. She flew up behind Rich and grab him with her right and flew them back to the school.
As she flew, Rich yelled, "Why didn't you just let me go. Nothing but disaster follows me. I can't have a nice life. If I try, something happens to ruin it. Why didn't you let me end it all then?" Rich went silent then. Penny looked hurt, and Monet was puzzled. Sean and Emma had met up with them when she landed. She told Sean what had happened, as Emma took Rich back to his dorm room.
Sean had a solemn look on his face. "Aye, this is serious. I'm going to give Scott and Jean a call and see if they can sort this out. In the meantime, I want all the students to take turns watching Rich in case he tries something like that again." He went to his office and Monet relaid the message. When she got done, she went to Rich's dorm room as Emma stood there.
"Rich has not had the best days of his life lately," Emma had said as she started to leave.
"I wish we knew what was truely bothering him." Monet started to think about it and stopped herself. She didn't need to go into an autistic spell now, not when it came down to a case of Rich's life. Every moment he wasn't watched was a moment that he could do something rash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page