Midnight Blues

By Richard Palmer

 

Warning: This Fan-fiction deals with mature matters such as substance abuse, profanity and violence.

 

Massachusetts Academy 6:47 am

 

            In was early morning when the phone rang. Emma only let it ring once when she answered it, "Hello?"

            "I presume I'm talking to the White Queen?" the voice on the other end of the line laughed.

            "Listen to me you piece of scum! Whatever you've done to my student!…"

            "Oh ho ho! Piece of scum?! Is that the charming witticism that got you so far in the Hellfire club, or did you get so far through something more…physical?" Dio paused for a second to let the insult fester before he continued, "Don't worry about the girl, she'll be fine. As long as I get what I want."

            "And what do you want?"

            "The girl you call Penance." Dio said, "I'm not going to lie to you, she's the only one I want and the only one I was hired to go after. Give her to me and I leave the rest of you alone."

            "And if you don't get her?"

            "Then I cut through each and every last one of you like a paper shredder through an Enron document… Until she's the last one left. Either way I win."

            Sequel grabbed the phone from Emma, "Dio, I'll give you an offer. You take me instead. You take me and let Monet go!"

            "Dallas as much fun as I think it would be to tear you apart again, just like old times, I have a job to do."

            "And who's the only one who knows how to stop you?" Sequel exclaimed, "Who knows how you work, who knows your weaknesses?"

            "You don't know shit."

            "Are you willing to bet your paycheck on it?" Sequel shouted, "How much do you stand to lose on this deal?"

            There was a long silence before Dio replied, "Okay, dead man, you just bought your friends some time. Go about twenty miles south and you'll find someplace very familiar for you. I'll be waiting." The phone clicked dead.

            Sequel hung up the phone, "That was very stupid lad," Banshee said, "the last thing we want te do is test this maniac's limits."

            "Shove it Sean, this is personal."

            "Maybe you should explain to us how you know that psychopath." Emma said condescendingly.

            Sequel sighed and lit up a cigarette, "Back in Vegas Dio and I used to work together." Sequel said, "I was a surveillance expert in the Mafia, Dio was a Hitman." He looked at Sean, "We never really did work together, but we'd hang out with each other when we were off the clock. Dio knew his way around town and he showed me that despite being a mutant you could have fun in this screwed up world." Kevin sighed and exhaled, "Then one day Dio signed up for a special project and I didn't see him again for a long time… not till long after I'd died and left the Mafia. I later I found out he had signed up to test a prototype suit for a place called 'Asylum 7' in return for a big fat paycheck."

            Sequel looked between Emma and Sean and said, "For the next several months Dio hunted me and my friends down, trapping us to turn us over to Asylum 7 for experimentation.

            Sequel put his cigarette out, "I hated Asylum 7 for turning him into one of their Tin Men long before I swore any personal vengeance on them."

            "Tin Men?" Banshee interrupted.

            "A soulless soldier of the organization. Essentially a soldier without a heart." Sequel said, "But Dio duped us all. Asylum 7 was a means to an end. He killed thirty-seven operatives when he left. Last I heard he went back to the Yakuza." Sequel shook his head; "It sounds instead like he went freelance."

______________

 

            Dio walked up to Monet, dangling by a rope in the corner of this abandoned building. Dio reached out and shoved her, "Wake up." he sneered.

            Slowly Monet's eyes opened, she looked up at the monstrous form of Dio. She jolted at the large mutant in attack, being held back by the ropes on her hands.

            Dio laughed, "My, you are the feisty one aren't you." he bent down to speak to her face to face, "I can see why Dallas is risking his life for you. Personally you're not my type."

            Monet continued to struggle in the ropes, surprised something so frail was holding her prisoner, "How did you?.." she began.

            Dio held out a hypodermic needle, "A little concoction of my own." He grinned, "You don't get as far as I have in the business by playing fair." Dio stood up again, "Don't worry your pretty little head about it, it's not permanent, you'll get your powers back when it wears off. In the meantime you should be glad your pal Dallas offered me a trade. While your brother did hire me to go after that Penance girl, it will be so much more fun to take care of him first."

            Monet lunged at Dio again. Dio laughed as he shoved her back, causing her to swing back and forth by the rope tied to the rafters. Dio walked off, continuing to laugh, "Mijukumono me." He smiled to himself.

______________

 

            "Ye cannae expect us t' let ye do this alone lad?" Banshee said as Kevin loaded his guns with their concussive rounds. She's me student too ye know, It's nae just yuir responsibility."

            "No," Kevin said as he clicked the clip into one of his pistols, "it's not my responsibility, but it is my fight." Kevin put on his trenchcoat, "Look I know the guy, he's twisted, he's violent, he's a dangerous and calculated killer. But he ain't going to hurt M; it's just not this style. He only cares about one thing… money. We already know that his target was Penance, as long as you guys are here guarding her you have nothing to worry about."

            "Still that is nae a reason ta face this monster alone!" Banshee said.

            "It's every reason, I can take him down, but on the off chance I don't you guys can handle him."

            "You may think you can handle this alone Kevin," Emma Frost said as she walked into the room, "but I cannot allow you to throw your life away because of some old grudge."

            "You can try." Kevin replied, "but the fact remains I'm the only one who knows where to meet him an' you damn well know you can't read my mind to find out. And if he sees anybody else with me, who knows what he's liable to do." Kevin lit up a cigarette as he headed for the door.

            Banshee stood up, "That's it! Ye may think ye have some enormous amount o' pull causa yuir reincarnation power, but I'm sick and tired of ye thinkin' ye are the one in charge here. Ye can go to rescue Monet yuirself, fine, but Donnae think ye are welcome if ye come back!" Banshee stormed out of the room.

Emma followed Kevin out to the garage; "I don't understand why you always think you always have to face the world alone."

Kevin started up his motorcycle, "Maybe someday you will, Frosty." He launched off down the driveway and into the night, "Maybe someday you will."

______________

 

            Monet struggled; she didn't like this at all. It took her a while to actually believe it herself but the serum Dio had injected her with had actually rendered her completely powerless. Now she didn't even have so much as better than average hearing. As she hung from the rope tied to her hands she looked around. It appeared this abandoned building Dio was holding her in was actually a run down old church. Probably in the middle of nowhere, as no one seemed to investigate her screams earlier. Dio walked into the room with a bag in his hand, "Wanna sandwich?" he offered. Monet just glared at him. "Fine, starve." Dio replied, "Not so fun being powerless, is it? Specially not for some over-perfect bitch like you." he smirked, "Don't worry, You're not going to be hanging around here much longer. We only have to wait for Dallas."

            "What is your problem with him anyway?" Monet Spat.

            Dio sat down, "I had everything back in Nevada, the Las Vegas Mafia got me respect, money, and after they got me signed up for Asylum seven's test project, they got me this suit." Dio motioned to the high tech suit that made him such a difficult opponent for Gen-X. "But Dallas didn't seem so appreciative about my newfound success… even when I turned him over to Asylum 7 so he could have a little of the same. You see Monet; I have nothing personal against Kevin Dallas. The cash comes and goes, so does the camaraderie and the prestige, it's not that important. But I'm a businessman, and an opportunist. He knows my style and needs to be taken care of." Dio stood up, "Your brother is paying me a lot of money to deliver that penance girl to him, and Dallas is screwing it up. Fortunately he's expendable, whereas you're brother wants the rest of you alive, he want's you for himself."

______________

 

            The storm clouds began to rumble as Kevin pulled up in front of the old abandoned church. He stepped off of the motorcycle and walked through the graveyard, towards the building. He opened the door and walked inside. His footsteps echoed inside the run down old building. Kevin stopped midway into the room and looked around. "Dio, come on out!" Kevin waited. Footsteps came from the other end of the church.

            "What is with you Dallas?" Dio said as his massive frame came into view, "Are you in a hurry to die?" Dio smirked, "Or do you just want to beg for your life?"

            Kevin smiled back, "Hardly, begging doesn't work on you, remember? Even if it's coming from those who took you in and made you what you are." Kevin heard a muffled voice from over in the corner; He whirled around gun ready. It was Monet, gagged and hanging by her wrists by a rope over in the corner of the church.

            "Don't worry about her," Dio said as he came closer, "She's not part of this… yet."

            Kevin turned back to Dio, "Then let her go." Dio stopped. "This is between us." Dio grinned, and then struck out. The energy from his suit formed another long energy blade, cutting the rope that held Monet prisoner.

Monet stood up, "Be Careful!" she yelled.

"Go." Kevin said eyes still fixed on Dio, his gun pointed straight at the big man.

"But Kevin…" Monet stood.

"Get outta here!" Kevin yelled. Monet hesitantly turned to the door, she ran, hoping she could find a phone and call Banshee and the others.

"Now then, where were we?" Dio smiled. Kevin pulled the trigger. Even before the gun went off Dio moved out of the way. He dashed straight into Kevin's face and threw a punch; Kevin ducked and shot up at Dio with a handstand kick. Dio took the kick and grabbed Kevin's leg, tossing him aside like a rag doll. Kevin rolled to his feet and tossed one of his cylindrical explosives in Dio's direction. Dio jumped over the explosion straight at Kevin. He threw a punch. Kevin dodged just in time and the blow went through a wall.

 

Monet was outside on the lawn of the old church, running through the graveyard, trying to find a way to contact Gen-X. If only she had her powers she could fly back to the academy. Of course, if she had her powers she could've throttled Dio herself. She had to find a phone; she was no use to Kevin like this. She ran outside the gate and almost ran into the Jeep.

"Monet?" Banshee stammered.

"Oh god, Sean! Thank god you're here!"

"Kevin wanted t' come alone. But Balam, she led us too him without much trouble." Behind Banshee, Balam nodded. "Are ye alright lass?"

 "It's Kevin, he's in there alone against that man!"

Sean looked up at the building.

 

Kevin rolled behind a pillar on the upper floor, and threw another Explosive at Dio. He ducked behind the pillar as it detonated. He shot out gun ready to take the big man down. Dio was waiting for him. A large energy blade impaled Kevin; "You are such a fool." Dio smirked, "I'm better than you are, and always have been. Even if I were going to kill her you shouldn't have come alone, that's what makes you weak!"

Kevin laughed briefly as blood came out of his mouth and nostrils, "You're bigger than me Dio, and more agile and more powerful, but I personify the phrase 'no fear'." Dio looked confused. Kevin ripped the strap of explosives off of his chest and shoved them against Dio, trying to kick himself free of the big man's grip as he did so… Dio's grip didn't even loosen. The explosives went off but Dio stayed standing, relatively unfazed, his unique suit shielding him from the blast. Sequel was not so lucky. Badly bleeding and burned, Dallas had taken the worst of the blast; his face however still sported a knowing grin.

"It's all over Dallas." Dio smirked, "I've got an easy week before you come back. You may be well aware of my history but your cohorts are not. And you know how easily I deal with the uninformed."

Sequel's grin faded.

"Of course you do." Dio laughed. "Well, once you're dead, I'm going to have some fun. Emplate wants your friends alive, but he didn't specify what condition."

Kevin could feel his rage building up inside him. He struggled to finish this fight, but Dio slammed him down to the floor, "Sorry, Dallas… game over." Dio's free hand glowed with the same eerie purple energy as another large blade formed from Dio's special suit. Dio grinned menacingly… until he saw Kevin's eyes. They were fixated on something else… something behind him. Dio turned to face a giant of a man standing down below. He had short white hair and was wearing a gray-blue jacket, gray military-style pants, and black combat boots. Flames were beginning to leap up from the floor around him as he concentrated his power.

"What? NO!" Dio shouted. Sequel kicked Dio off the balcony, knocking himself through one of the stained glass windows as he did so. As Kevin plummeted to the ground below things seemed to slow down. He thought about Monet, the girl he'd had the most turbulence with when he first arrived at the school, now one of his closest friends. Dio, one of Canon's tin men, or so he'd thought. Turned out Dio was worse than a soulless soldier of Canon's, he was a soulless soldier of fortune. And then there was Balam, if only Kevin could tell her how sorry he was for what he'd done.

The air had grown so quiet around him now. God, was he still falling? In the back of his mind he thought he heard Banshee's voice, or maybe it was his sonic scream? Then there was a bright flash. Kevin looked up as the stain glass window erupted into a billion tiny shards making way for the inferno that emanated from within. Then the whole wall burst outward. Kevin smiled as things grew dark.

 

Banshee saw it happen, Kevin fly out of the top story window. He immediately flew off towards his student, hoping to catch him before he hit the ground. But before Banshee could get close enough, the church Kevin came out of exploded. Even before Kevin hit the ground he was showered with the rubble.

Banshee stopped near the burning wreckage, "No." he thought, "Nae now, nae after today."

______________

 

Monet was in the infirmary with Emma and the Beast. Dr. McCoy had stopped by to check on her after she was recovered from her kidnapping, "Everything seems fine now Miss St. Croix. The Serum seems to have a very short effect; the effects were already wearing off before I got here. You should feel fine by now.

"Funny", Monet Remarked, "Because I don't." she stood up and walked out of the infirmary.

"Is this the result of…?" Beast asked

"Hard to say." Emma shrugged, "She and Kevin seemed to get rather close after a while. They still harassed each other on occasion. But neither one would ever admit that they were anything more than teammates."

Beast nodded as Banshee came in. "I jus' got the police report's on the result o' the fire at the church. They're still clearing the rubble but it donnae look promising, They dinnae find any sign o' Kevin, They think he might even been burnt to ashes in the fire."

"And Dio?" Banshee shook his head. Emma sighed. "I suppose that means we'll need some extra security around here. Do you think the X-men could spare some help Henry?"

"Indubitably," Beast answered, "I'll speak to the Professor on the matter ASAP."

"Good, I've already lost one student to that maniac, I'd rather not lose any more."

 

To be continued…

______________________________________________________________________________________

The legal stuff: The Characters from Generation X and the concept of Mutants and are a product of Marvel comics and it's employees and are used without permission. Christina Laine is based off of the Samurai Spirits character Cham-Cham, Beyond that she's a character of my own creation. Kevin Dallas and Dio are characters of my own creation, all rights reserved.

 

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words ... words might hurt me deeply, causing great emotional, mental, and psychological damage leading to a lowered self-esteem and decreased work-related efficiency. - S.T.


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page