THE LAST GOODBYE written by Richard 'Kurogo' Palmer


Warning: This Fan-fiction deals with mature matters such as substance abuse, profanity and violence.

Banshee flew into the interior of the jet with Kevin's motionless body. He hooked Kevin up to the medical equipment as the others piled into the jet. "Hurry!" Banshee yelled, "We 'ave ta get him to a hospital fast!"

"Heh… Payback's… a bitch… huh?" Kevin muttered. Banshee looked down at Kevin; "We… finally… got 'im." Kevin smiled.

"Aye, lad that we did." Banshee said as Monet flew to the cockpit to pilot the jet to the nearest medical facility.

Kevin reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out his cigarettes. They fell to the floor with a silent tap. Skin picked up the packet and pulled out one of the cigarettes, "Here you go amigo." He lit the cigarette up as Kevin puffed on it, "Man, with all the electricity you took in it musta been like French kissing a light socket."

"Nah…" Kevin coughed, "That… feels different." He grinned and then sat back. Skin smiled; that was Kevin, the eternal jester.

Suddenly a loud beep came from one of the machines; "Oh god!" Emma said, "He's flat-lining!" She rushed over and started to perform CPR on Kevin. As she pushed on his chest the cigarette fell from his mouth. At the very same time an image burned into Emma's head, in fact everyone's head. The images were different for each student; Emma received an image from Kevin's mind when he first came to the school.

 

"Don't lie to me Mr. Dallas," Emma said, "You yourself told us you have the ability to resurrect yourself, that and you were able to block my psi-scans…"

"Which in all proves what?" Kevin responded, "I have a mutant reset button and am handy for foolin' mind readers. Big freaking whoop, other than that I'm human. No real ability."

"You also demonstrated a use of telekinesis." Emma added.

"On a trash can, Whoah, what a power!" Kevin remarked sarcastically, "I can't lift anything over ten pounds. Now there's something to be afraid of."

"I think you're cutting yourself short."

"I'm only a good fighter with my bike, okay. That's the only place where having no fear of death can really help."

"Well, there you go." Emma said.

"What join in battles on my bike? You're nuts! You know how many times I died to get the money for that sucker?" Kevin returned.

Emma Stood up, "Okay, how about this then, any damage your motorcycle takes while with Generation-X, Frost enterprises will pick up the bill."

Kevin took a few moments to think of a retort. Some witty response or reasoning to counteract Emma's offer. Finally he stammered, "Damn!"

"Will you accept, Mr. Dallas?"

"I'd be a fool not to!" Kevin replied, "but, keep in mind I don't like it when someone's barking orders."

"And I don't like being talked back to." Emma said.

"Fair enough," Sequel said, "I suppose we can agree to disagree." He held out a leather-clad hand, "Okay we got a deal." He said.

 

Banshee received a more recent image, a sparring match they'd had a while ago, just before Canon's forces had kidnapped Sean and Emma in order to cover up Project Utopia. It was a sparring match he'd never forget.

 

"You're good Irish, like a pro." Kevin grinned as he dodged a right hook from his teacher.

"Yuir nae so bad yuirself." Banshee replied. Kevin shot a kick to Banshee's hip and connected.

"Keep concentratin' Irish," Kevin said moving around the ring, "I been programmed to look for openings, remember?"

"Aye lad." Kevin threw a punch and Banshee dodged, then the blow came down on top of his helmet. "Alright lad time out." Sean said walking over to the corner of the ring. He pulled out his water bottle and took a drink.

"So, Cassidy, what's on your mind?"

"Huh?" Sean seemed puzzled.

"Don't give me this 'huh' shit," as he pulled off his gloves, "I know it, you know it, your mind wasn't on the fight. No matter what kinda programming I've got I still wouldn't be no match for you. What buggin ya?"

"It's nothin' lad."

"C'mon." Kevin lit up a cigarette and began to puff away, "Tell me and I'll buy you a beer."

"Kevin, yuir under age." Banshee replied. Kevin just grinned. "Okay, I got a daughter in the group X-Force, She grew up away from me an the fact that I was nae there for her and her mother has been doggin me me whole life. Now she's inae the hospital recuperatin' from her last battle an I'm unable ta do anything cause ah this whole Canon business." He sighed, "pain donnae take a holiday, I guess."

"So you need to be there to make sure she's alright." Kevin summed up, Banshee nodded, "Go on man, you should be there right now."

"Ye were the one who informed ussa this whole Project Utopia business. Ye know how important it is."

"Yeah but life is important too. You, Emma the kids, your daughter, you just got one, I've got a million. Go and spend some time with your daughter. I'll pick up the slack around here."

"Ye sure ye can handle it?"

"Hey, I used to lead armed attacks on Canon in Nevada, uphill both ways in six feet of snow." Kevin grinned, "We'll be fine, go see… what's her name?"

"Theresa."

"Go see Theresa, I'll take care a things here." Kevin finished off his cigarette, "I never told ya this before but since I came here, I always thought of ya as kinda like a father… or at least what I woulda liked my father to be." Kevin lit up another cigarette as he put the first one out. He looked up at Sean; "You're still here? Go!"

Sean smiled and left the gym.

 

Sean smiled a little as the memory came to him, and then he was hit with a shocking double feature. He'd known Kevin had a rough childhood, and he knew that his family life was something Kevin never wanted to talk about. He was proud when Kevin said he had always looked up to him. He was grateful when Kevin said he was the father figure he always wanted. But deep down he wondered what Kevin's family life was really like… he wasn't entirely prepared to find out.

 

"Kevin!" yelled an older man; he was an overweight man with a full beard and balding, Presumably his father. "Didn't I tell you to clean up in the kitchen!"

"I was just abou…" young Kevin was cut off by a blow to the face.

"You worthless kid, you should thank God That we've got a roof over our heads and food on our table, but instead you lag around! You're worthless! I don't know what you mother sees in you! Now go get the cooler from the front lawn!"

Kevin sniffed as the tears from his eyes mixed in with the blood from his nose. He walked outside the trailer, and grabbed the cooler full of his father's beer. He looked up at the stars and muttered, "Someday."

"Hurry up, you worthless kid!" His father yelled from inside the trailer. Kevin sighed and walked inside.

As the memory ended, Kevin's voice came inside Banshee's head, "Hey Dad, What do ya think about your son now?"

 

Chamber also received an image that he himself would never forget, when he, Kevin and Angelo had driven up to New York to meet the Oddities, the group of outsiders Kevin stayed with before joining the academy.

 

Kevin walked outside to see Jonothan sitting on the back steps. He let the screen door slam behind him as he sipped on the beer he had just grabbed from inside.

::Is that who yer wanted me to see?:: Chamber asked.

Kevin nodded, "The old man's been like a father to me, He put my mind in perspective."

::What kinda mutant power would do that to a man.:: Jono wondered aloud.

"He's not a mutant," Kevin said, sipping again on his beer, "Bartlett is the founder with the mutant powers. Marty, He was just born deformed. The guy's amazing though, I don't think I've ever seen him get angry at anybody."

::How is he?:: Jono asked, Worrying about the man's health.

"He's stayed alive for thirty-five years, he'll be around for quite a few more." Kevin smiled. "I hope." He thought to himself.

::Why share this with me?:: Chamber asked.

"Because off all the Gen-Xers, you might get the most outta it, you should know that by now." Kevin set his beer down and continued, "These people aren't freaks, no one looks at each other and thinks mutant or midget or deformity. They know each other by name, they think of each other as family. They look at what's inside." Kevin paused as he sat down by his friend, "Yes there are those in the world that are quick to judge us by what we look like, I won't bullshit on that point. But there are those who don't judge people until they know them, people like Marty… People like Paige."

Chamber looked up at the sky for a minute and then looked back at Kevin who was finishing off his beer. ::Thanks, mate.:: He said.

"We cool?" Kevin asked.

Jono paused for a minute, ::We Cool.:: he replied.

"Good, than one more thing." Kevin said casually. Jono turned to him, "You tell anyone I opened up like this and I'll kick your ass." Kevin said as he finished off his beer.

Mentally, Chamber smiled. Right now, at this moment, the world seemed a little less dark.

 

Jubilee received an image that may have been more disturbing than the others. When she was infected by the Legacy virus, Kevin had a few words with her attacker.

 

"You mind if I have a minute with the prisoner?"

"Watch yerself kid." Logan said as he got up and left the room. Kevin lit up a cigarette.

"Victor Creed is it? Or Sabretooth? How bout I just call you dead?"

"Not likely kid."

Kevin ignored him and continued, "They're trying to analyze that damn gun you brought in, see what they can find out from it, but I already know." he exhaled into Creeds face, "that's standard design for a long range injection device for Asylum 7. More dosage longer range, better handling than a standard dart launcher." Kevin took another drag, "The thing I can't figure out is why? Canon got what he wanted from me, I'm no longer a threat as far as he's concerned. I can't talk about somethin' I don't know about anymore, so there's no reason to infect Christina to keep me quiet. But, what if she weren't the intended target? But, what if she weren't the intended target? Canon knows the virus ain't gonna do shit to me cause dyin's never been a real big problem. So I'm placing my money on one of the Emissaries, they don't answer to nobody but Canon right?"

Sabretooth stayed silent. "Now as far as I see it only one of em has reason to pull this kinda stunt, and the lack of intelligence to do it behind Leveque's back. Equilibrium."

Sabretooth glared at Sequel, "I don't know a damn thing about my employer, it was a simple assassination mission, with a half up front delivery."

"Well I hope you had time to spend that cash," Kevin continued as he puffed on his cigarette, "cause you've got at least two people willing to see your ass dead right now with nothin' to hold em back."

Creed laughed, "What you and that runt Logan?"

"Well he'd be the third. I'm talkin' about Canon and myself. Canon ain't gonna be happy that Equilibrium is doin' shit without his say so. And after his ass is taken out, you're next." Kevin reached into his jacket, "But he may not have the chance this time. I keep hearin' shit around here everyone wants to be an X-Man. 'Kevin you'd make a good X-Man.' That's bullshit, I've better chances of winning the bronze in Female gymnastics than becoming an X-man." Kevin pulled out a revolver, "You know why? Cause I'm your certified, bottom-line, Grade-A asshole… I'm an asshole with no fear of death, so it just makes it that much easier to unload on a guy. But that's just the beginning."

Kevin pointed the gun at Sabretooth's head, "I also hear shit that X-Men don't kill. Because of that shit I know I'd never be an X-man. I've died more times than I can remember, and sooner or later I'm going to give back what I've been getting, all I need is the right push. So if I think it's justified… I'd probably do it in a heartbeat." Kevin pulled the trigger and the gun clicked an empty chamber. "If Jubes don't make it, the next one will be loaded. Ain't nobody gonna hold me back neither. I can guaran-damn-tee it."

"You try it and I'll rip yer head off, kid." Sabretooth snarled.

Kevin yawned as he walked towards the door, "Whatever Creed, been there done that."

 

Kevin's voice rang through her head, "We had some good times, didn't we lightshow? You, Christy, and me. You took good care of her while I was gone and you were there for her when I first came back and she needed someone to turn to. I hope this doesn't make you think any less of me."

 

Angelo, maybe Kevin's closest friend, received an image from when he and Kevin were just starting to get to know each other. The big irony being that they had a lot in common with their pasts, both had been survivors of gang incidents. Although with Kevin, the way he survived was a little… different.

"Yeah, I'm what you call the unintended victim." Kevin said as he sat back, "I'll admit I didn't hang out with the right sorta group of guys. One of em was in a gang. One of the real pussy kind that operates outta the suburbs. The rest of his gang didn't like that this guy had non-gang related friends y'know, like this guys gonna leek out information or something… yeah like this is the freaking pentagon." He chuckled a little before he went on, "so finally they decide he's a liability and try to put a bullet in him, I ended taking seventeen of the twenty. One missed he took the other two in the leg. I was in critical before the ambulance even came. And I kinda crapped out before we hit the hospital." He took a drag and exhaled in one long breath. "So, when I do come back it's been a week since my funeral. My mother is still in too much shock after my death that she doesn't know what to believe, so what does she do? She resorts to the most likely emotion… fear. She refuses to believe that it's me and chases me outta the house. I was forced to live on the street since then. It's cost me a lot of lives and a lot of friends. So, long story short, I got three of a kind, life had the full house."

"So why share this with me?" Skin said as he took a drag off of his cigarette.

"Don't play that shit, we both know I ain't the only one here with a gang record." Kevin said as he finished his cigarette.

Angelo practically jumped back, "How'd you know? You've only been here two weeks! Who told you?"

"Ain't nobody had to tell me, it's all in how you carry yourself." Kevin explained as he finished off his cigarette, "You're constantly on guard whether you realize it or not. You don't seem to have the same, if you'll excuse me, middle-to-high-class background that most everybody else does. You also seem to have a sort of indifferent attitude in certain areas that usually comes from a harder life."

"Shit, man," Angelo responded you some kinda PI or somethin'?"

"No, just got a keen eye," Kevin chuckled, "it's good for surveillance jobs. That and the inability to die means I'll always come back with the required info. That's how I got the money for my Chopper."

 

Monet tried to steady the plane as a vision of where a solo mission with her and Sequel ended up in the two of them getting some time to iron out some things between them.

 

"Garbage," Kevin said as he pulled his hand away from another computer terminal. "Let's try the next one."

"So when did you find out about this power?"

"When I woke up in the infirmary I unintentionally pulled up my own medical records when I touched the computer terminal. This one's got nothing either. Let's keep going." Kevin grabbed another computer as his fingers radiated the light blue glow. "This is a form of cyberkinisis, I have a limited control of it right now, I can only read or decode from technology I can touch. Where's the next one?"

"So do you deal with this a lot?" M questioned, "A new power to master every time you come back?"

"Well, occasionally I get a power I've used before, in fact it happens quite frequently. But it seems that, yes, I have a new power to get used to almost every time I get back." Kevin moved on to the next computer.

A few moments passed before Monet spoke up, "I can't believe we're doing this."

"What? Don't tell me you're thinking of backing out now?" Kevin responded as he turned to her, "If this is simply because You still don't buy that Leveque is a monster…"

"No, that's not what I was referring to." Monet Responded, "I was simply referring to the fact that we actually seem to be getting along."

Kevin went back to the computers, "Don't worry, I don't like it any more than you do." He replied. Monet smiled weakly, careful that he wouldn't notice. Kevin sighed, "Okay, the truth is, I respect you. You have… some… redeemable qualities about you and I see you as a friend of sorts." Kevin smiled and turned back to her, "Now I could go and apologize for all of those times I made jokes at your expense, but seriously, who's foolin' who? You enjoyed the game as much as I did, and as our arguments went, you truly were the only one worthy of the game." Kevin Turned back to the computers, "But don't expect me to let up, Money, I still don't agree with a lot of your viewpoints, but that's just what makes us human."

 

Christy held his hand tightly as Kevin's memories entered her mind she already had tears welling up in her eyes. She had the exact same memories on her mind as he did, even without Kevin's new telepathic ability.

 

Kevin and Christy were slow dancing in a computer-generated ballroom. Christina rested her head on his shoulders and smiled. "Kevin." She said finally, "for the record I'm glad you came back. I missed you too."

"Don't worry, Kitty, I'm not going to leave you, ever again." Kevin said.

Christy sighed, suddenly her head shot up, she sniffed the air around them briefly, "Something's wrong." She said as she turned to the door.

"Oh, no. I'm sorry what was it? Did I choose the wrong music? Is the mood bad? The food?" Kevin stammered.

"No not you, someone's here that isn't supposed to be." She said as she pulled on the door. Kevin ran up and typed in a number on the keypad and the door slid open.

"Well, let's find the guy and take him out," Kevin Grinned "just like old times."

"Just like old times." Christy repeated as she smiled back.

 

The cigarette hit the floor and one last image flooded the group's minds. It was a white light. "I feel warm." Kevin's voice came, "not like the rest of the times I've died, I actually feel warm inside and at peace. And this light, it's beautiful, indescribably beautiful! If only Christina were here to see it…" the memory faded as the heart monitor blared an incessant beep. Emma continued to give him CPR, but it was no good. Everyone knew it, Kevin Dallas was dead.

______________

It had been weeks now since Kevin's death, maybe even months. Emma and Banshee had kept Sequel's body in a freezer in the infirmary, hoping that he would come back, just like the rest of the team hoped. But after two weeks it was obvious he wasn't going to return. Banshee broke the news to the rest of the team about Kevin's foresight into his own future. For some it took a while for them to truly accept that this may have in fact been Kevin's last ride. He was then cremated and his ashes were spread deep in the woods, as he requested. Banshee read the eulogy at the funeral, touching on some of the instances where Kevin had touched everybody's life. And even though he said he never had what it woulda taken to become an X-Man, he already was in everybody else's mind.

Kevin had a will, of sorts. Last words for the whole team. But they were already pretty well stated in the memories he had left everybody.

A week later Balam disappeared, probably returning to the wild to deal with her grief in her own way. And the school quieted down again.

Jubilee walked out to the memorial that had been put up in Kevin's memory. Monet was already there with a rose in her hand. Jubilee walked up silently and set her own flowers down.

"I don't want it common knowledge of my own private life Jubilation, but I have one thing to say of Dallas. And even if you are the only one to hear it, it will make me feel better to get it off my chest." She paused and sighed, "Kevin said he thought of me as a friendly rival, the only one who could give him a decent argument or try to top his bizarre actions. The funny thing is, after a while I thought of him as more than just a team mate, almost like a brother… maybe even more of a member of my family than my real brother."

Jubilee nodded, this wasn't a time to get excited on M finally opening up to her a little. "I think we all thought of him as family, just like we all think of each other as family in some way."

"At least he went out the way he said he wanted to go." Paige said as she approached, "In a blaze of glory." She sniffed, "I'm sorry, it's just, first it was Clarice, now Kevin. Ah guess ya just never really get used ta it." She sniffed.

______________

Chamber sat in his room in the basement and plucked on his guitar. He looked at the picture of him and Kevin with the Oddities. ::I'll never forget yer, mate. Even in this drab dark world you could find a little light.::

"Do ye 'ave a minute Jono?" Sean said as he came down the steps.

::Sure, Cassidy,:: Jono sighed, ::I've got all the bloody time in the world.::

"Its hurting ye too, inae. I don't think any o' us expected Kevin's last death ta be so soon." He sat down next to the British teen; "Ah never really knew what ta make o' Kevin. He didn't play by anybody else's rules yet he would always pull through for ye if ye were inae spot, wouldn't he?"

::He was the kinda guy who would always be there for yer, all right. Even to his dyin' breath.:: Jonothan sighed.

"Sequel once tol' me he thoughta me as a father, an I know he thought of us as family. Ye were more than a friend ta him, Jono, ye were like brothers. I think he'da wanted ye ta 'ave this." He handed Jono Kevin's helmet with the spray-painted X above the visor.

::'Is 'elmet?::

"Nae lad, his bike." Banshee said, "He said ta let ye 'ave it if he dinnae make it back someday."

Jono stood there speechless. A single tear rolled down his face and dissipated into the psionic energy spewing from his chest.

______________

Skin sat out on the porch of the main building, sorting through the mail for the rest of the team. He looked over at the girls by the Kevin Dallas Memorial. He smiled weakly and opened up a beer. "Here's to you, Kevin," He said as he poured out part of the bottle onto the ground. "No one could ever forget you."

He went back to the mail and picked up a grayish blue envelope, it was addressed to him but on the return address it simply read 'I'm Baaaaack!'

"It can't be?" Skin thought as he tore open the envelope. He glanced at the first page of the letter inside. "Hey Muchachos!" he yelled, "You better come take a look at this!"

______________

Miles away, somewhere in New York.

Music emanated from the rundown old house, from the outside it appeared as maybe a biker get together, "Everybody, come see the greatest show! Gather up all juggolows and roll. Everybody, come see the greatest show! Gather up all juggolows and roll. Oh, yeah! Damn, baby, Damn! Get your ass outta the way cause here we come! We's bringing this spectacle into your town! We got creepshows! Freakshows! Wicked! Whoah!"

Inside it appeared that all the biker's were singing in unison, "Most people don't like these Oddities! Most people would love to have a shot at me! If you think you're to good for us sideshow freaks let me know, so I can whip-smack your cheeks! C'mon!"

"Everyone, come see the greatest show! Unlike anything that you know. Come and be down with the Clown! The great Oddity freakshow's in town! Everyone, come see the greatest show! Unlike anything that you know. Come and be down with the Clown! The great Oddity freakshow's in town!"

"I'm a side show loony, watch me get nuts!" sang a tall black haired kid in glasses, "I do back flips out infronta Mack trucks! In high school the chicks always gave us 'probs', cause I'm nine feet tall and my boy's are Cyclops!"

"I can swim shark filled waters!" A shorter girl with light brown hair and cat ears and a tail responded.

"Yeah well, I can chew nails up an' spit out quarters." Sequel grinned, "Don't cry for your daddy what's that gonna do? When he's just as shook as you?" He turned to Christina. They kissed as the Oddities picked up the chorus.

"Everyone, come see the greatest show! Unlike anything that you know. Come and be down with the Clown! The great Oddity freakshow's in town!" Sequel and Balam joined in with the crowd, "Everyone, come see the greatest show! Unlike anything that you know. Come and be down with the Clown! The great Oddity freakshow's in town!"

The End

______________________________________________________________________________________

The legal stuff: The Characters from Generation X and the concept of Mutants and are a product of Marvel comics and it's employees and are used without permission. Christina Laine is based off of the Samurai Spirits character Cham-Cham, Beyond that she's a character of my own creation. "The Oddities" theme is property of the Insane Clown Posse and Stephanie Music/ Cherry River Music and is used without permission.

"This isn't the end, this isn't even the beginning of the end. It is, however the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill.


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page