DEAD MAN WALKIN' written by Richard 'Kurogo' Palmer


Warning: This Fan-fiction deals with mature matters such as substance abuse, profanity and violence.

Massachusetts Academy, Late May.

 

It was early morning as Paige went for her routine jog. There was still a mild mist surrounding the academy this morning, but it was letting up. Paige jogged down the same trail she always jogged down, at the same time she did every morning. But today something seemed… different. As a matter of fact she felt like she were being watched. This was normal, however, as a Mutant living in a world of paranoia she could always feel those hateful stares of a fearful society, even when no one was there to give them.

Suddenly a shadow dashed in front of her. Paige stopped in her tracks, "Hello?" She called. Now she was starting to get scared, "Hello?"

"Hello Paige." Came a voice from behind her. Paige jumped and stumbled to the ground. She looked up at who had startled her, but the early morning sun was shinning in her eyes, she shielded her eyes to get a better look, she could just make out this teenage girl with cat ears and a tail.

"Christy!" Paige said as she leapt to her feet. She hugged her old friend, "God, it's good to see you!"

"I missed you too Paige." Christy said softly, "It's been way too long." She motioned with her head; "Do you mind if we head inside? I'd like to say hello to the rest of the group."

Paige smiled, "Sure, come on."

Christina smiled weekly, "Thanks." She walked with her old friend to the academy, "So how are you and Jono?" she asked.

"We… broke up." Paige said, her voice growing softer.

"I'm sorry." Christina said. She waited a few moments before she continued, "Wow, you two seemed so happy together when I was last here."

"Well, a lot has changed since you were last here." Paige responded.

______________

 

"Christy!" Jubilee shouted, her eyes lighting up as the cat-girl walked through the door. She jumped up from the breakfast table and dashed over and hugged her old friend. The Rest of Gen-X followed.

"Wow! Welcome back Chica!" Angelo said as he shook Balam's hand.

"It's good t' See ye lass." Banshee added.

"Thanks." Christina said, her eyes shifting to Monet. Monet looked back at Balam but made no other acknowledgement.

::Nice to have yer back,:: Jono said psionically and then quickly added, ::Is Kevin with yer?::

Christina shook her head; "No he said he'd be here in a couple of days. He had some personal business."

"What kind of personal business?" Emma Frost asked as she entered the room.

Christina shrugged, "I didn't ask." She replied, "Kevin tends to not want to talk about some things. I don't make it my business to force him."

Jubilee smiled and grabbed Christina by the arm, "C'mon!" she said excitedly, "We've got so much catching up to do!" and with that the two girls dashed out of the room.

______________

 

Monet brushed her long black hair as she prepared for an evening out. The rest of the academy was all in a frenzy to hear about Balam's adventures away from the academy. Monet on the other hand couldn't care less. She set the brush down and turned towards the door. "You do realize it wouldn't kill you to use the door like a normal human being." Monet said without turning around. Behind her, perched in the third floor windowsill was Balam.

"Yes, well, if you hadn't noticed, none of us are exactly ordinary or human." Christina said as she dropped silently from the windowsill to the floor of Monet's dorm Room.

"Still it wouldn't kill you to make the effort." M said turning to her slightly, but still not looking at her, "It's simply bad manners. Even for a primitive like yourself."

"Oh I so missed these little discussions." Balam said sarcastically, "Why don't you shut your high-priced, pampered and all too human-minded mouth for a minute so I can get this over with." Christina pulled an envelope out of her back pocket, "Kevin said to give this to you specifically. He told me to tell you that, if you weren't all talk, he'd meet you in Las Vegas. And he said to come alone."

"But, why?" Monet said, looking Balam in the eye for the first time since she entered the room.

"I don't ask." Balam said heading for the door, "Kevin doesn't tell me too much anymore." She turned back towards M, "Whatever happens in Las Vegas, make sure he comes back alive. It wouldn't be polite if you didn't." Christina smiled, opened the door and left.

Monet stood speechless for a few seconds before she looked down at the envelope in her hands. Written on the envelope in silver ink was the word "Moneybitch!" followed shortly by a cartoon smiley face with the tongue sticking out. M smiled weakly as she opened the envelope.

______________

 

Monet was gone the next morning before anyone else was up. She left the academy without leaving any word as to where she was going. She made arrangements for a private flight down to Las Vegas and at this moment was sitting on the plane, contemplating. It seemed strange Sequel had asked for her specifically, and alone at that. The note wasn't terribly specific at what he needed her to do. But Sequel had said it involved an old friend of his who was in some sort of trouble. Sequel said he needed help on this one ASAP… of course, being Sequel, it wasn't phrased like that. It was more like, "if you have the brass ones, like I've always suspected, you'll quit wasting time and get down here and lend a hand." Monet sighed and stared out the window as the plane began it's descent. Would this be a happy Reunion? Or had Sequel once again gotten himself into something to big for him to handle. She supposed she would find out soon enough.

______________

 

Monet stepped out of the airport and looked around. There was still no sign of Kevin. Of course Kevin never mentioned anything about where they'd meet. Had M been a little less dignified, this might have made her more than a little frustrated, but she just turned her nose up and waited as though it had no meaning to her whatsoever. She wandered further down the terminal. An old man in ragged clothes and a long gray beard sauntered up to her, "Spare some change miss?" M ignored him, "Aw C'mon! Please just a little bit?" Monet didn't even acknowledge him but continued on down the sidewalk, "Fine! Be that way! I don't need your money! You stuck up little Moneybitch!"

Monet turned in surprise, "Dallas?"

The 'bum' grinned, "What? The costume a bit much?"

"What are you doing?" She questioned as she approached him.

"Aw, C'mon." Dallas grinned as he shook a mug full of change, "Nothing wrong with a little 'free-enterprising'."

Monet held her head and shook it, though a small smile was still across her face, "You really are incorrigible."

Sequel smiled back, "Don't I know it. C'mon let's go somewhere where we can talk this whole thing over."

______________

 

They were sitting in an outside Café; Sequel had changed into something more appropriate. He was wearing a tan colored bandana covering his hair, and that was covered by a black cowboy hat. He wore a loose black silk shirt with two red Chinese dragons embroided on either side of the button line, and black Jeans over some black cowboy boots. All in all he seemed to fit in with many of the locals at the café where they were eating. "So, here's the skinny," Sequel said as he took a bite of his sandwich. He was eating a grilled Tuna sandwich that seemed to be the restaurant's special of the day. Monet Sat opposite him, she hadn't ordered anything, "I have a friend who's in big trouble with some of the heavy players around here, and he needs to get out of town… hell he needs to get out of the country… and because of the power behind these heavy players the authorities won't help him."

"You're not being very specific." Monet replied.

Kevin shrugged, "Can't afford to be specific."

"Still," Monet continued, "If I'm going to help you out I think I'll need a little more information than that." Kevin took another bite of his sandwich and stared at her nonchalantly as he ate, but made no other acknowledgements.

"Would you care to fill me in?" Monet tried one last time, beginning to grow impatient.

"You're the damn genius." Kevin said smugly, "If you haven't figured it out already than I think I may just be wasting my time."

Monet sat back, a small smile across her face, "Alright." She said, "Well it's perfectly obvious that when you speak of heavy hitters you mean the Mob, and if he's in trouble and the Cops won't help him out it probably means he's in the mob too… and for some reason or another they see him as a liability." Monet looked at Kevin. Kevin continued eating, but he smiled and nodded. "What I can't figure out," Monet continued, "is why you're doing this? Or at the very least, why your doing it alone?" Kevin took another bite of his sandwich and set the remainder down. He took a sip from his water as Monet continued to look at him, waiting for an answer. "Well?" she said finally.

"It's not something I want to share at this time." he said flatly.

"Or anytime?" Monet added. Kevin Nodded, no longer smiling. "Well, it looks to me like you don't have much choice."

"Than you're not looking hard enough." Kevin responded, "I'll do this thing with or without your help."

Monet sat silently for a little bit, "What do you need?"

"I need to get him out of the country, on a private jet preferably. You have the means and the contacts, I'd appreciate it if you'd use them." Kevin stopped for a moment, "And I need you to help me find him before the mob does… make sure he leaves in one piece."

"That's an awful lot to ask for." Monet said. Kevin nodded. "Especially when you aren't willing to tell me everything." The wind blew through the trees. The waitress came and cleared the dishes. Several minutes seemed to pass by; the two teenage mutants sat quietly staring at one another, never shifting their gaze.

"How much do you want?" Kevin said finally.

"How much what?"

"Of the truth?"

"All of it." Monet replied, determined.

"Kevin laughed, "You can't handle it all, Money!"

"All or I go home."

Kevin sat forward, "Not happening."

"Well what is the point then!" Monet stood up, "I swear Kevin, sometimes you are to arrogant for your own goddamn good."

"Sit down." Sequel said, his voice had no anger in it, no anxiety or frustration, but it still had a harsh sense to it that made Monet uneasy. Reluctantly, after a moment's hesitation, she sat down. "I can't tell you everything… but… I can tell you enough… will that do?"

Monet nodded.

Kevin sat back, "When I did surveillance, here in Las Vegas, it was for the Marcianno crime family. I was the best they had. And I always got the job done. Rico was one of their legmen, a Mafia errand boy. He didn't see much action, but he was well known around the syndicate." Sequel stopped as the waitress came and took the bill. He watched out of the corner of his eye as she left and then continued, "I was the lucky one, though, I could get out whenever I wanted. All I had to do was die, and eventually that's what happened, I died and moved on. Hence the reason for the disguise, I don't know what to expect from the Marciannos if they knew I was alive." He placed his hands together as he talked. "Rico didn't have that luxury. Rico had to stay behind, and Rico was my friend which made that a very hard thing for me to accept." Kevin stood up to leave.

"Kevin… I'm sorry…"

 "Don't be sorry for me, be sorry for Rico, he made the biggest mistake. He was caught sleeping with the boss's daughter. He'll be lucky if he's still alive by the time we get the first clue as to where he is. Which is why it's so important I find him now."

"Still, "Monet said as she stood up, "I can see why you didn't tell anybody."

"And I don't want anybody knowing in the future, either." Kevin said, somewhat sternly, "It's not a part of my past I even try to pretend to be proud of." Monet nodded and they left the Café.

______________

 

            "Okay." Kevin said as he and Monet walked through the Casino, "This is the way I figure it. I've still got contacts in this town. I'll go around and see what they know. " He turned to Monet as he put on a pair of silver lined sunglasses, "Why don't you do the whole telepathic thing for a while and see what you find out. We'll meet back here in five hours and we'll go from there. Sound good?"

            Monet nodded, "You are sure a deranged lunatic like yourself will be alright?"

            "Hey!" Kevin said leaning back, arms outstretched and a wide smile across his face, "This in MY town!" he then turned and strutted out of the casino. Monet had to suppress a smile as she watched him go. She even had trouble admitting it to herself, but she had missed him. Monet looked over at a pay phone at the edge of the casino. She looked back at the doorway in which Kevin had just left. She sighed and headed over to the phone.

 

            "Hello?" Emma replied as she answered the phone.

            "Miss Frost." Monet spoke, "I'm just calling to inform you it may be longer than I expected before I return."

            "Monet!?" Emma replied, "Where the hell are you?"

"Las Vegas." Monet replied, matter-of-factly, "I'm here with Kevin."

"Kevin?" Replied Emma, "What's he doing there?"

"I'm not at liberty to say." Monet replied.

"That's not surprising." Emma said under her breath, but she knew Monet had heard her. After she waited for a bit Emma said, "Very well, Monet, I'll have the team down there within the next few hours."

"No." Monet responded somewhat calmly, "We're doing perfectly fine on our own thank you."

"Then tell me what's going on."

"It's none of your business."

"Then you leave me no choice."

Monet sighed, she knew this was a mistake. Why did she give Emma the common courtesy of this telephone call anyway? She knew she had no other choice now. "Kevin's here helping an old friend."

After a moment Emma's voice came from the receiver, "And?"

"He's someone Kevin knew when he worked in the Las Vegas Mafia."

"What?" Emma's voice came again, surprisingly there was no sense of urgency, only surprise.

"It isn't any of your business Miss Frost." Monet spoke harshly, "Please don't come down here, Kevin and I are handling it." With that she hung up the phone.

 

Emma set the receiver down. "The Las Vegas Mafia?" she thought. She smiled, "Well I'll be. That tricky little bastard!"

______________

 

            Hours later Kevin returned to the Casino, he walked over to Monet who was sitting near a fountain in the lobby and sat down, "I can't believe the selfish opportunistic bastards in this town." He said. "Nearly every guy I talked to, guys I thought of as my close friends, said if they knew where Rico was they'd have taken a crack at the half-a-mill on his head."

            "So no leads then?" Monet Responded.

            "One." Sequel said, "West side of town. Getting ready to leave for Mexico tonight. But I don't even have a specific address."

            "A motel 6 down highway 5, room 25." Monet responded.

            Kevin looked at her, a sarcastic smirk across his face, "How long were you going to keep that a secret?"

            Monet smiled and stood up. "Let's go." She said.

______________

 

Rico opened the door to his motel room, he was wearing a red silk shirt and gray slacks covered by a leather jacket. He turned and locked the door when, "Hello, Rico." came a voice from the other end of the room. Rico turned to see a man sitting in a chair in the dark corner of his room. Rico pulled his gun and fired.

            "JESUS," the man called, he was down on the floor before Rico had even pulled the gun, "CHILL OUT, MAN! IT'S ME!"

            Rico turned on the light and the man stood up, he was wearing a tan bandana covered by a black cowboy hat, leather Jacket with the collars sporting a Zebra stripe style pattern, and wearing leather biking stirrups. The young man straightened his glasses as Rico looked at him, mouth wide open.

            "Kevin!"

            "Hey."

            "Jesus Christ, Kevin, you're alive!" Rico exclaimed as he ran up to Sequel and hugged him, he backed away and said, "I see you still have a rotten taste in clothes."

            "Hey, just because I know a thing or two about style…" Kevin stopped as he heard sirens coming closer.

Rico looked at his gun and just muttered, "Oops."

"C'mon, we'll continue this conversation somewhere else." Kevin said.

"Um," Rico began, "I hate to tell you this, but the mob's out to kill me."

"Yeah, I know." Kevin replied, "We'll go to a safe place."

Rico watched Kevin skeptically before he followed Kevin out the window to the fire escape. As he dropped to the ground below he noticed another figure on Kevin's Motorcycle. "Who's this?" he asked, backing away slightly.

"A friend," Kevin said getting on his bike. He motioned to the empty sidecar and said, "We don't have a whole lot of time you know." Cautiously Rico wandered over to the sidecar and got in. Sequel started his Harley and they raced off into the night.

______________

 

"No kidding?" Rico laughed as they sat in an empty warehouse, Kevin was regaling him with a brief overview of his life since he had left the Mob. He's even let Rico in on his being a Mutant and the specifics of his mutant powers, Something the young Mobster didn't seem all that uncomfortable with. Kevin and Rico also reminisced about old times, as Kevin explained what he could about their life in the mob to Monet.

"So why are you here, man?" Rico smiled, "I'm sure it wasn't just for me."

"Actually, yeah." Kevin said taking a drag off of his cigarette, "I'm here to get you out of this situation you've gotten yourself into." He offered a cigarette to Rico who took one out and lit it up. "See I was able to convince Miss Money here to send your ass to Algeria. Once there you can move on to anywhere in Europe and start a new life, A meaningful life… or continue doing your same old bullshit." Kevin stood up, "The point is, you won't have to deal with the mob anymore. You'll be a free man."

"Sounds nice." Rico said, "But Algeria? That whole area of the world is a little iffy isn't it?"

            "Like I said, you could go anywhere from there." Kevin said calmly.

            "I don't know. I'll have to think about this." Rico said as he stood up and wandered to another end of the warehouse.

            Monet stood and Approached Kevin, "Are you sure about this? He doesn't seem all that appreciative."

            "He'll accept." Kevin said, "He'd be a fool not to accept." He turned to Monet; "I'm just surprised that you still want to go through with this."

            "Why?" Monet said, "I gave you my word."

            Kevin shook his head, "that's not what I mean. The Marciannos play dirty. We'll have shooters and hit men after us from here to the airfield."

            "Not a problem." Monet smiled. "I'm pretty much invulnerable remember?"

            "That's not what I'm talking about." Kevin said, a serious look on his face. Monet looked back questioningly, "It'll muss your hair." Kevin grinned.

            "Okay." Rico said walking back towards them, "I've made up my mind."

            "And?"

            "And it sounds like a good deal." Rico smiled, "I'll go."

            Kevin smiled too. He was about to say something in reply when his attention was diverted by a noise overhead. The three of them shot their eyes skyward. Kevin's hands went for his pistol when a shot rang out. "Get down!" Sequel shouted as he tackled Rico, and Monet, simultaneously dodging the rain of gunfire. The three of them dashed behind a large crate as the gunshots continued. Sequel loaded his gun as he checked around the corner of the crate. "Monet, You've got to get Rico to the plane."

            "But what about you?"

            "Don't worry about me, just go!" Kevin shouted.

            "You're not just going to stay here are you?" Rico asked, "They'll massacre you!"

            "If that's the game…," Kevin said.

Monet grabbed his shoulder, "Don't do this Kevin. Not again." the sound of footsteps on concrete came steadily closer.

            "Dammit!" Kevin muttered. Holding his pistol at ready he looked around the corner. He saw four or five shadows darting about the empty crates in the warehouse. Kevin aimed his pistol, picking his shot, when he saw something beyond the mobsters' shadows. A stack of large canisters in the corner. "M," Kevin said in a very solemn voice. "Take the bike and Rico and get out of here."

            "For pity's sake, Kevin!.." Monet began.

            "Do it!" Sequel commanded. "I'll meet you at the gas station on third!" Monet nodded. "And M," Kevin added, still not facing her, "be careful."

            Monet grabbed Rico by the arm and the two dashed towards the motorcycle.

            "He's over there!" came a voice, "Fire!" Kevin didn't hesitate any longer, he pulled the trigger and the canisters exploded. As flame engulfed the warehouse Monet sped out of the service entrance with Rico in the sidecar.

______________

 

            Monet glanced around the corner. There was still no sign of Sequel. There was still no sign of the mobster's either, and with Monet's powerful eyesight she was sure of that, so at least that was cause for relief. She leaned back and sighed. "You sure he made it out alright?" Rico questioned, still sitting in the sidecar of the Harley.

            "He's fine." Monet said, not sure of the truth herself, "Kevin's nothing if not a survivor." She glanced at Rico. He had a large pistol wedged under his belt line, "Why don't you get that ready." She said, motioning to the handgun with her head, "We might need it."

            "Um, I hate to say it." Rico said, "But I'm a terrible shot." Monet just looked at him; "I can't hit a damn thing I aim at." Rico added.

            Monet sighed. "Perfect." She thought.

Then she heard the footsteps. She looked out at the road, hoping to see Kevin coming their way. No one. She heard something again and her eyes darted around. Still nothing. Was she losing her mind? Then she saw the shadow of a man wearing a cowboy hat and Glasses slip from out of an ally and hide behind a Dumpster. After a few seconds Kevin came out of hiding and dashed up to them. "I think we lost them for the time being, but we shouldn't waste any more time." He jumped on his Harley and motioned to Monet, "let's go."

______________

 

It had been a pretty harrowing experience. Sequel had gotten almost all the way to the Airport when they noticed they were being followed. But Sequel, using his great skills as a cyclist had managed to lose the car after darting down an ally and riding through the backyard of a residential neighborhood. Now they were hiding out in another warehouse just a few miles from the airport. When Sequel thought it was safe they would be on their way again. Sequel held cigarette in his mouth as he peered out the window. It wasn't lit. Kevin new better than to light it at a time like this.

"Are they still there?" Monet whispered.

Kevin nodded. "They just drove by about five minutes ago. We'll wait another thirty before we'll take the chance they've moved on.

"I can't believe this is happening." Rico said, "It's like they're everywhere. Good god it's aggravating!"

"He was never one for the mob life was he?" Monet whispered to Sequel.

"He didn't have the stomach for it." Sequel responded, "Too much of a nice guy. That's why I like him."

Monet nodded. Sequel had lead an interesting life. When she had met him she never would have guessed half the things about his past. It was like he'd lived more than one life in more ways than one.

Monet's ears picked up a creak overhead. "Kevin." Monet whispered. Sequel looked at her. She motioned to the ceiling with her eyes. Slowly and cautiously Kevin turned, getting his pistol ready. Then the ceiling exploded.

"Yeagh!" Rico screamed, running for cover. Kevin fired blindly up towards the source of the explosion. After a few seconds, as the dust began settling, Monet saw twelve men armed with some large guns. They were too big to be shotguns; in fact they looked like grenade launchers. That or some other explosive projecting device. Kevin dove, Pushing Rico towards cover. Monet watched as one of the men took aim, "NO!" she shouted as she flew up and belted him.

"Shit!" shouted one of the mobsters; "We've got a Mutie! Open fire!"

Monet dodged as two or three of the mobsters fired at her. She flew about delivering powerful blows to the group. In the meantime a few of the hit men had slipped into the warehouse and were converging on Sequel and Rico. Sequel was trying to stave them of with his gunfire.

Monet glanced down as she throttled one of the mobsters. A hit man had managed to sneak around behind Kevin and Rico and was now taking aim. "Watch out!" Monet shouted, "Behind you!

Kevin turned and fired. The shot hit the hit man's weapon causing it to explode in his own hands. The man sprawled in pain before he collapsed unconscious.

Monet smiled, then she was hit from behind. Kevin saw the explosion. He took aim trying to stop the mobster, knowing already that it was too late. Monet fell and Kevin dashed to save her. He dove and caught her before she hit the floor. They skidded behind a large steal crate. Kevin looked down at her, "Are you all right?!" he said as Monet began to open her eyes. She looked up and saw Kevin, his face filled with concern. She reached up and kissed him. Kevin backed away a bit, but she was there anyway, her lips on his. After a minute she backed up. And looked at him. "What?" she said, "What is it?"

"I…I…" Kevin began, "I…I can't…"

Suddenly they heard a scream. Kevin leapt to his feet and dashed back into open part of the warehouse. The mobsters had found Rico and were taking aim. Kevin fired, Monet flew past him.

______________

 

            The two mutants watched as the plane took off, carrying Rico to Algeria, away from the Marcianno crime family. "You'll miss him won't you?" Monet asked Sequel.

            Kevin nodded, "Hadn't seen him in a long time. And, in truth, I wish we had more time to talk before he left. But still, he's finally free."

            "And you?"

"I've been free for a long time, I've already chosen my path."

"That's not what I meant." Monet said, "I meant how are you, with what happened back there?"

Kevin's eyes drifted towards the floor, "Oh," he said, "that." He looked at Monet, "Monet, It's not that… I mean if we… it's just I…"

"It's Christy isn't it." Monet said.

"You understand," Kevin said, "We have this sacred trust, I can't betray that. I care about her." Monet stared at the ground and nodded. The two were silent for a moment, "I think it would be best for the both of us if we didn't talk about this when we get home. Again Monet nodded. "C'mon," Kevin said motioning towards his bike, "Let's go."

As the sun rose over the horizon the two mutants sped off on the Harley. Riding into the sun. Towards home.

 

The End

______________________________________________________________________________________

The legal stuff: The Characters from Generation X and the concept of Mutants and are a product of Marvel comics and it's employees and are used without permission. Christina Laine is based off of the Samurai Spirits character Cham-Cham, Beyond that she's a character of my own creation. Kevin Dallas is a character of my own creation, all rights reserved.

 

Don't drink and drive. Get high and fly home. - Anna Brewer


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page