On the Cutting Room Floor…

By: Richard Palmer

 

Warning: This Fan-fiction deals with mature matters such as substance abuse, profanity and violence.

 

            This isn't a fic, it's a collection of outtakes, fics that never made it. I just wanted to get that out of the way; While I'm working on the second Volume of the Wild Ones I thought I'd share with you some clips and from some of the stories that were cut from Volume one. As well as share with you what made me decide to write this in the first place and why it was cut.

 

            I thought I'd start off with the fic that gave me the most trouble, the whole reason I chose to go by Larry Hama's version of Penance in this series. It should be very obvious that I had wanted to make Penance out to be Canon's daughter, as I made so many references to how much they resembled each other, but I also wanted Sequel and Monet, two characters who started off as polar opposites, to become close friends by the end of the first Volume. I tossed around which was more important before I started submitting the series, and, well, The Sequel/ Monet thing won.

            I'm not saying I'm not happy with how Sequel and Monet Turned out, In fact I couldn't be happier. However Sequel and Monet became friends without my having to resort to this story, which was the whole reason I ditched the idea of Penance becoming Canon's daughter. And to top it off, because when I started out I was planning to use this story, I went along with the Hama idea on Penance's background, and I cannot stress enough how much I Hate Larry Hama!

            Anyway what I like about this story is how it shows Sequel. Sequel was supposed to be one of those characters who despite his enormous list of faults was a good natured sort of guy, who would always put others first. And at times because of these faults we were supposed to have trouble seeing this. And this story demonstrates this, Sequel is so drunk he makes a complete fool of himself, and he also ends up continuously insulting Monet, Yet somehow he shows her he's willing to go to the mat to do something nice For M, who, up to this point, they had been seemingly bitter rivals.

            What I didn't like about this story is a couple of things. I think Monet would have eventually gone with Sequels plan if he showed enough initiative, and even if she didn't I would have had to follow up with her explanation why with a story of it's own, and I wasn't prepared to do that.

            I also didn't like Sequels reaction to what he found out about Canon. No matter what happens I want Sequel and Canon to remain enemies, Even if Canon were to do everything he could to try to make up for his past, Sequel will never trust him again. Even though the rest of us know Canon isn't as bad as we originally thought he was Sequel would never accept he was anything less than the devil.

            At any rate, this story (originally entitled 'Of Penance and Pain') was the result of a lot of early mistakes in the series, even though they seemed to pan out in the end.

 

 

 

Monet looked down at the small picture of Penance; the form that her two younger sisters were now trapped in. She sighed as she knocked on the door. "Kevin?" Monet called from outside Sequel's dorm room. She still wasn't sure about this. Kevin had asked her to come to his dorm room yesterday. He said he had something serious to discuss with her. At first Monet though this must be a joke, for all the time she'd known Kevin Dallas the man didn't seem to have a serious bone in his body. Still it was what he said that really got to her, "It's about Nicole and Claudette."

            "Kevin?" she repeated as she tapped on his door.

            A muffled voice came from inside, "Go away."

            "It's Monet," She responded, "I've come to a decision. I'll listen to what you have to say."

            There was a long pause before Kevin opened the door to his room. He looked awful, he'd obviously fell asleep in the clothes he had on the day before and he smelled of hard liquor. "For the record," Kevin said, "You're screwing up a perfectly good hangover."

            "Have you been drinking again?!" Monet stammered.

            Kevin held out his arm to look at his watch, it took him a few seconds to realize he wasn't wearing one, "Oh I don't know M, when a person is at least a day late a guy gets a little nervous."

            Monet fidgeted a little bit, "I apologize, it's just that you and I…"

"It's because you and me don't exactly get along, this had to be a joke, yadda yadda, I understand… come in."

            Monet came in and sat down, Kevin closed the door behind them and then collapsed on the floor, "Okay," he said into the carpet, "What did I ask you over for?"

            "Nicole and Claudette." Monet said.

            "Oh yeah the twins," Kevin said as he pushed himself up and flopped back against the door. "Well, your birthday is coming up, and I realized I hadn't bought you a dang thing. Then it hit me, the perfect gift for the snob who's got everything." He stared blankly at the ceiling for a minute. "Do you remember when I went nuts a few weeks ago, ended up fighting you and the rest of Gen-X?" Monet nodded, "then you also remember that I had temporarily teamed up with Equilibrium."

            "What is the point Kevin?" Monet said starting to get annoyed.

            "The point is I know, I know what they don't want me to know, and without any outside help. Now their little organization would do anything to keep this information secret, but what they would rather do is just erase it from my head." Kevin managed to stand up, "So I'm going to offer them a trade, what's in here for their best people to look at Penance… see if they can do anything for her." Kevin staggered forward. Monet caught him before he hit the floor.

            "Firstly, Why would you do a thing like that and secondly why would you trust them?"

            "Well M, near death experiences do a lot for the soul. Let's just say I'm in the giving spirit. And as for why I would trust the organization." He shrugged, "Basically I don't, and that's where you come in." Kevin was finally able to stand under his own power. "I'm going to tag my body, some little transceiver or something I haven't figured out all the details yet. That way you can see where I am inside the complex and come and get me if shit happens."

            "What if they find out, Kevin? Won't they just kill you again, like they've done in the past?"

            "This shit doesn't seem to sink in with you people! If I die I die, so fucking what! My life isn't that important." Kevin staggered again and hit his door. This time Monet made no effort to help him.

            "I'm beginning to grow tired of your 'deranged martyr' viewpoint Kevin. It's almost as irritable as Jubilee's constant reminder's that she was once an X-man."

            "Hey, I resent that!" Kevin said pulling himself up, "It's ten times more irritating and you know it."

            "I also find your taste for ruses equally annoying." Monet continued. Kevin looked at her confused. "Your mind has already been erased Kevin, Asylum 7 has gotten what they wanted. We all know this, did you forget Professor Xavier's visit here just a while back." Monet frowned, "This was all some elaborate scheme to get in with a way to get out. Why Kevin? Why are you using me like this?"

            "M," Kevin said softly staggering to his feet, "getting your sisters free of that Penance prison is the reason I was trying to pull this off. Don't get me wrong Monet, we've disagreed in the past and will continue to in the future, but I care for you…" M gave Kevin a strange look, "not like that. As a friend as a fellow team member, as the only one who can give me a challenge in a cut-down war." Monet chuckled a little bit at that last thought.

            "But I didn't lie, not entirely, there is something in here Canon doesn't want out, but it's not as hush-hush as everything else. In fact it seems to be pretty low priority, but it does explain why Canon just didn't waste us all when he had the chance." Monet looked at Kevin questioningly; "You have telepathic abilities, right?" Monet nodded, "Than check it out for yourself."

            "But…"

            "I've recently found ways to control my psionic shield, but don't tell Frosty."

            M nodded and then scanned his mind. She saw a family, Canon a wife and a daughter, a young girl with an obvious mutancy. Strangely enough she looked very much like Penance, her Skin was not the diamond Sharp untouchable hide that penance had but it was a very close approximation. Canon himself was an optimistic and vocal leader of a mutant rights campaign in France. He was gaining supporters at an astounding rate; apparently, a very strong and positive political activist.

Canon had rallied together his group to show the strength of the unity of human and mutant kind. A group of anti mutant terrorist had infiltrated his group and opened fire on the mob. For the first and possibly only time in his life, Canon panicked. He told the human terrorists to take their own lives, Unfortunately the entire crowd responded. Within second a crowd of hundreds lay in front of him, slaughtered.

            Canon sank down to his knees and wept. He realized his powers could be a great hindrance to the cause. He turned to his wife and told her to leave him. He was afraid of himself, of what he had become.

            The images flashed forward again, Canon was taken into a Mutant detention center, or rather death camp. He sank into depression, slowly, day by day wishing for his own death. Feeling this as his penance for destroying a crowd of innocents. Then it happened, a special armored bus drove up to the prison, Canon looked in astonishment as they unloaded the prisoners. Among them was a small eleven-year-old girl with red skin. His daughter. She had a look of deep despair and betrayal on her face. Then he overheard the guards discussing why… apparently She and her Mother were running from the Anti Mutant organization. They were being escorted to safety by a man who had been a close friend of the Family, someone who had worked with Canon years ago. Instead of escorting them out of the country, he delivered them straight to the organization. The young girls mother was outraged by their betrayal and attacked the former fried of the family. The Members of the organization opened fire, killing her mother and the turncoat. The collar around his neck to contain his mutant powers detected Canon's rage and exploded. But Canon had used some kind of ability to contain the blast.

The images shifted again and Canon stood atop a heap of bodies from the death camp. Many other mutants had rallied around him. Canon held a small limp form in his arms. His face showed no emotion… aside from a single tear rolling down his cheek.

            Monet stepped back, "My God." Kevin nodded in response as he reached for a bottle of Jack Daniel's. "That's what drove him to the way he is?"

            "Apparently so." Kevin replied as he downed a shot of the whiskey.

            "No wonder he's so bitter and distrusting towards the system." Monet Remarked, she looked at Kevin again. "And his daughter…" Monet began as she looked down at the picture of Penance.

"Killed as a result of his using his powers trying to free the rest of the prisoners." Kevin sat down, "I've wrestled with this a long time, Canon has destroyed much of my life. But it seems his life has had more tragedy than I'll ever experience. The guy's obviously not a good person, but when I recovered these images when he personally erased my mind, well…maybe, just maybe, he doesn't seem so much a monster anymore."

            Monet looked at Kevin, "Kevin, why did you offer to do this for me, Canon could easily have eliminated you if we had tried to persuade him to…"

            "As I keep saying that's not a freaking prob…" Kevin stopped as he looked into Monet's eyes. "Okay, the truth is, I respect you. You have… some… redeemable qualities about you and I see you as a friend of sorts." Kevin smiled, "Now I could go and apologize for all of those times I made jokes at your expense, but seriously, who's foolin' who? You enjoyed the game as much as I did, and you gave as good as you got, Salud." Kevin downed another shot.

            "Kevin, your offer is very much appreciated. But unnecessary. I intend to find my Brother and force him to undo what he's done myself."

            Kevin looked at her as he poured himself another shot of whiskey. "You know what Money?" he threw back his head as he swallowed the shot, "We may both be the most stubborn members of this team."

            Monet smiled weakly as she turned to leave the room; right before she opened the door she turned back to him and nodded. As the door closed Kevin sat back down on his bed and looked into the shot glass. "Ah to hell with it." He muttered as he tossed the glass aside and began to drink straight from the bottle.

 

 

 

            This next story was supposed to be the first appearance of Canon (apart from Sequel's memories), and was also written before I actually submitted the series. Before I had submitted the series I had tossed around the idea of writing it within the period where there were human students at the school as well. it took me a while to realize what a land mine that would have been, and quite frankly it's obvious it didn't do too well in the comics either. It also painted Canon in a much more diabolical and fiendish villain than I liked, and much more cartoonish too. I didn't like it, but it was still entertaining.

            Also in this story I took a stab at writing in another recognizable Gen-X villain, Adrienne Frost. However I think it's obvious from this story I wasn't very good at portraying Adrienne, and her interactions with the overpowering Canon were kinda creepy and also unrealistic, even with Canon's charisma powers. It really turned you off to the character, which is definitely something to be avoided, so this story was scrapped and the more gray area villain version of Canon was formed.

            I still like the school scenes in this story, and despite some of the creepiness the scene where Canon tries to boost Adrienne's powers had some potential for a good villain establishment scene. The part at the end also was a nice touch showing how Sequel felt about Christy, but also showing his fear to making a commitment, something which will come up again (foreshadowing ^_^), but it would have lead into a series of stories where Sequel was out trying to find himself, really dragging out the series and it would have made it seem like a really long and repetitive series had I gone that direction, so it was probably better that I avoided that.

            Also the battle between Canon and Gen-X seemed like something out of a bad sci-fi movie, but it did inspire the machine for the final few fics of Volume 1, so I think it was inevitably worth it.

            This fic, like the one above, is unfinished with several scenes missing, but it still seems a little long

 

 

 

                Emma stepped into her office, "Ms. Frost I presume." Came a voice from behind the door.

            "What the hell?" Emma said more than just a little annoyed, the man stepped out towards her desk, he was maybe in his late twenties or early thirties, standing at six foot seven she guessed, better than average build, a thin face with long curly dark blonde hair.

            "My name is Grant, Grant Parsons. I'm with the US board of Education." He smiled. Something about this man's continence made Emma ease off a little, something in his also voice calmed her. "I'm sorry to intrude like this but this is a routine inspection, I was wondering if you could walk the grounds with me?"

            "Sure I'll have one of the faculty…"

            "Ms. Frost, I hope you don't mind," He smiled, "I was hoping you could show me around."

            For a split second Emma's immediate feeling of trust in the man faded, she fell back on instinct and tried to psi-scan his mind to see what he was up to… the psi scan failed. However as the man grabbed her hand that cause for alarm quickly flew to the back of her mind. "Sure." She replied.

 

            "Now who can tell me the area of this plane… anyone?" The teacher called out to the class. Jubilee began to nod off. Algebra, the most hated of classes. She looked around the room Christy was having a hard time staying awake as well. Suddenly Christina's face shot to attention. Jubilee looked towards where Christy's eyes had strayed. Ms. Frost stepped, just inside the door with a tall blonde man in a suit. She talked to him softly before they moved on.

            "Huh." Jubilee thought. She turned back to Christina. The cat-girl was no longer in her seat. Many of the other students also looked surprised by her sudden disappearance.

______________

 

            "Christy!" Jubilee called as she went outside between periods.

            A muffled voice from over in the woods hissed, "Shhhhh!"

            Jubilation walked over towards the voice, "Why did you leave class like that?" she said as she looked around trying to locate her friend, "If Ms. Frost finds out she'll have a fit."

            "Forget her, We've got bigger problems." The voice came again. Jubilee looked around still unable to find Balam. "Come here." The cat-girl's voice came again. Finally Jubilee saw Christy up in a tree. She sighed and climbed up next to her friend.

            "What?" she asked.

            "Shhhh!" Balam whispered. She slowly pointed to the entrance to the school. As Jubilee looked Ms. Frost walked out with the same tall blonde man she saw earlier.

            "Who is that?" She whispered to Christina.

            "Canon." She whispered back, Jubilee looked at Balam questioningly, "Do you remember when I told you about that place called Asylum 7?"

            Jubilee nodded.

            "Do you remember who I told you ran the facility?"

            The story came back to her, "That's Canon?" She asked.

            "Shhh." Christy said again, "Nobody knows that much about the guy, He's got some mutant powers of charisma and persuasion, but there's definitely more." She froze as Canon's head turned her way, and then continued as he moved on. "What I'd like to know is what he's doing here."

 

            As they walked up to the limo Parsons turned to Ms. Frost, "Thank you my dear, I think I've gotten all the information I need. Your school will get a favorable report in our records."

            "No problem Mr. Parsons, thank you for your time." Emma replied. Parsons opened the limousine door and got in. He watched Emma walk off and then turned to the driver. "You know where to go."

            "Did you get it?"

            "Yes, it didn't take much time, really." He said as he fished through his pocket and pulled out two sealed plastic bags, one with a comb and one with a pack of cigarettes.

            "When do we proceed?"

            "In due time Ms. Frost. In the meantime remember your job." He said sternly.

______________

 

            "So let me get this straight," the White Queen said as she sat back in her office chair, "You say that the man who came in today is not a member of the board of education, but a government spy? And a spy with his own agenda none-the-less." Balam nodded. "Preposterous." Emma replied.

            "Didn't you find anything unusual with him at all?" Jubilee asked, "like maybe the fact that he drove away in a limo?"

            Emma stared at Jubilee for a second her face a little blank, "You know you may have something, I wasn't able to get into his head with my psi-scans."

            "And that didn't tip you off right then and there?" Jubilee asked.

            Emma held her head and shook it, "I should've known right away something was wrong. What happened?"

            "It's his mutant power." Kevin said as he stepped opened the door.

            "Mr. Dallas, were you eavesdropping again?" Emma said a little enraged.

            "Would it matter this time?" Kevin said as he sat down, "His name is Leveque, Jean Leveque. At least that's what I remember seeing on his nametag at Asylum 7." He stated. "My cellmate had the ability to 'read a persons power by simply looking in their eyes, it even worked on photographs. But he wasn't able to read everything Leveque had on him." He paused, "But he did have some power that boosted his Charisma quite a bit, he could talk almost anyone into doing almost anything."

            "So we know what his power is," Ms. Frost said as she sat down "What is he here for?"

            "I don't know," Kevin said, "I only know that probably has to do with me and Christy."

            "And why you two?" Emma asked.

            "We fought to stop him and Asylum 7," Sequel replied, "and the place was shut down partially because of us. Maybe it's some kinda revenge scheme, who knows what he lost with the facility."

            "Somehow I don't buy that," Emma said, "if this guy is everything you say he is the loss of the control of a small unheard of mutant laboratory won't mean much. He would just move on and make another."

______________

 

            "Are you ready Adrienne?" Canon said as he pulled out the plastic bags. They were in a hotel room just a few miles away from the academy. Canon was sitting in an armchair with a chilled bottle of wine at his side and a single glass resting on the same table. Adrienne Frost sat on the bed.

            "I already told you my powers don't work that way, I can't see everything with my powers. Finding out a small piece of evidence from three years ago might take some time."

            "As I said before," Canon said as he stood up, "Don't worry about it, I can give your powers the boost they'll need. Just trust me."

            "But…"

            "Don't forget the fact that I own you now!" Canon yelled, "If you don't want to spend the rest of your life in a high security facility with absolutely no means of escape you will do as I say." He sipped a small amount of the wine from his glass and set it down, "I agreed to help you get revenge on your sister if you agreed to help me with my plans. Isn't that what you want?"

            Hesitantly Adrienne nodded.

            "Good, now take this." He said as he handed her the bag with Dallas's cigarettes. He grabbed her hand as she began to open the plastic bag. "Don't worry this will all be over before you know it."

            Adrienne grabbed the pack of cigarettes and used her psychometric powers. Canon smiled and his hand glowed with an orange energy. A flood of memories exploded in her mind. She saw Kevin as a thirteen-year old boy, getting shot during a drive by shooting in his own neighborhood. She saw him being rushed to the hospital and then felt the incredible pain, as he died the first time. She twitched as the memories of his first 'resurrection' entered her mind, how his parents would not believe it was him and chased him out of the house he grew up in. She felt the pain of his second death, on the streets from starvation. And the burning pain of his 'Rebirth'. The memories continued to come, death after death, return after return. And worse was when it came to his time in Asylum 7, the unthinkable experiments preformed on him, and the rate of deaths increased. Finally her mind couldn't take anymore. She dropped the cigarettes as she collapsed on the ground and went into a seizure. Her body twitched uncontrollably as Canon sighed and moved back to the armchair.

            "Pathetic," He spat as he lifted the wineglass to his mouth, "Your feeble brain can't take the punishment of a few minor tortures? I'm surprised you've lasted as long as you have in this life."

            Mustering what power she could to glare at Canon in between seizures, Adrienne blacked out after a few seconds. Canon grinned, as he looked at the body motionless on the floor. "Well," he said as he sat back down, "we have to assume that he knows. We also have to assume he's told everyone else on the team." He sipped from the wine glass again, "Unfortunately I can't take care of this with my government ties. this will have to be a small job… we'll have to handle this one ourselves."

______________

 

The Black van pulled up in front of the school; Canon stared out the window onto the grounds. "Ms. Frost, your job now is simple. Go inside and grab any one of the students, one of the team preferably, and bring them to me." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a hypodermic injector gun. "You may sedate them with this."

"Why do I have to go?"

Canon looked at her and scowled, "Because you know the grounds." Adrienne waited for a better answer. "Very well, consider this your final act towards freedom, I shall no longer hold your past over your head. Agreed?"

Adrienne nodded and stepped out of the van, "What about the detection systems?"

"I'm blocking them." Canon answered nonchalantly. "Go."

 

Julie Sherman tossed and turned, it was no use, she couldn't fall asleep. She stepped out of bed and walked out of her dorm room. Maybe something to drink would calm her nerves. Suddenly she felt something jab her in the back. Immediately she went numb. As she fell to the floor she looked up to see a woman with brown hair and an unusual looking gun in her hands. Soon after, she blacked out.

 

Christina woke up from her nightmare, and stared blankly at the sky for a few seconds. She sighed as she turned over, trying to get back to sleep. Suddenly she smelled something strange…strange yet familiar. She lifted her head off the ground and saw a brown-haired woman sprinting across the lawn with something over her shoulder. Balam focused her eyes for a second, that something over her shoulder was one of the students! She leapt up and bolted at the intruder.

She crashed out of the forest growing several times her normal size. Adrienne stopped before this large twenty foot creature before her, Balam paced in front of her like a large jungle cat, a low growl emitted from her throat. Adrienne glanced nervously at the black van. Why wouldn't any of Canon's men come out to help her? Christy lunged; She knocked down Adrienne and sent her sprawling across the lawn. Adrienne frantically grabbed a few stray rocks and began to throw them at the cat-girl.

 

Upstairs in her room Paige had gotten up to use the restroom. She was returning to her bed as she looked out the window. The large twenty-foot frame of Christina Laine was advancing on a smaller figure. It took Paige Guthrie a few seconds to recognize the second figure as Adrienne Frost. Quickly she dashed out of the room.

 

Adrienne Scrambled to her feet and ran, she reached down and scooped up the student as she tried to bolt towards the van. She fell to the ground as Christina's enormous hand held her to the earth.

"Shall we help her sir?" Said one of the men in the van.

"Not just yet," Canon replied.

Adrienne scrambled free and took off towards the Van leaving the student and the giant Balam behind. She didn't get far as a pair of elongated hands encircled her.

"Where do you think you're goin' Chica?" Skin said as she dropped to the floor. Adrienne looked back to see Skin, Husk, Synch, Sequel and Chamber had joined the fight. Her sister Emma was there as well.

"Now." Canon said. Three men bolted from the van two of them raised a pair of large guns and fired a round of tear gas at the mutants. The third man hit Angelo's elongated arms with a tazer. He grabbed the unconscious student as he and Adrienne ran back to the van.

"If you want to see her again," Canon shouted from the van, motioning to the sedated girl as she was being brought to him, "Alive, You'll give me the boy with the reincarnation ability and the cat-girl!" He smiled as Adrienne approached, "You did well my dear, now, as per my agreement, you are a free woman, adieu." With that he placed his boot on her face and shoved. The three men scrambled in the van and the Van took off with its wheel's screeching.

Adrienne sat there in disbelief. She turned to see the Gen-X team closing in on her. "Shit." She muttered.

______________

 

"Well, dear sister, we meet again." Emma said, she had Adrienne tied up in the basement of one of the buildings. The rest of Generation X stood by ready to help her force whatever answers out of Ms. Frost's estranged sister, "Excuse me if I'm not in the mood for the usual small talk, but where has your employer gone with my student?"

"My employer." Adrienne seemed amused by the question, "I think another word is in order, like 'slave-master' or something along the lines."

"Just answer the question Adrienne."

"For once my dear Emma I'm all to happy to oblige." Adrienne smiled, "In Albany, New York, a large facility called the Larkshire Towers."

"Fine, that's all I needed to know." Emma said as she walked off with her students.

"Hey, wait!" Adrienne shouted as she jumped up and down in her seat, "Aren't you going to untie me?"

"When we get back we'll consider it, Chica!" Angelo called as the door to the darkened room shut behind them.

"Dammit." Adrienne muttered to herself.

______________

 

The Shadowy form of Shroud appeared before her master. Canon was already aware of the news that was to come and hardly needed Shrouds report. "They've broken through Calvary's defenses. They've already made it inside."

"Thank you Miss Emerson I'm aware of the situation." He said as he bent down and picked up a stray iron pipe from the floor."

"Forgive me, sir but was this wise? To keep the building armed with only the smallest number of your followers?"

"My dear Shroud, yours is not to question why, only to report the status from the battlefield. But to answer your question it is not wise, but the reasoning will become clear before the day is over." He held the Pipe up and focused some energy into the object, "It took me years and without his knowledge even Ambassador St. Croix's cooperation to hide my identity from Xavier, the one man who might have had the ability to halt my plans before fruition. That little incident in Navada cost me greatly, I will not have it occur a second time." The iron pipe stopped glowing, it had changed form. It now was in the form of a short sword, with an craftsmanship so precise it could only have been duplicated by a master sword smith.

"So you intend to erase all the records?" Shroud questioned.

"Something like that my dear, you catch on fast."

 

Balam dashed down the Hallway with Banshee by her side. Her keen sense of smell would lead them to Canon while Banshee would take out any opposition directly in the way. Of course close behind them was the rest of Gen X.

::Something's wrong.:: Emma told Sean through telepathic link, ::Considering the 'welcome' we got in the lobby we should have encountered more security measures than we have.::

"Aye," Banshee responded mentally, "A trap you think?"

"Precisely."

Banshee was about to tell Christy to slow down when she screeched to a halt. The hallway had come to a dead end. Beneath them was a large chasm with platforms suspended in midair throughout the area.

::What the?:: Chamber said as he looked into the abyss. Sequel held his bike in neutral as Jubilee and Skin got off. M landed next to them and surveyed the area as well.

"What kind of man is this?" Emma thought aloud. This one room alone appeared larger than the building was from the outside.

"Welcome my friends." Came a voice echoing across the room, "You're turnout surprises me, since I really only requested one of you. Still I suppose the rest of you felt the need to come along to act as an escort when you deliver this child back to your precious 'Academy'." The voice paused for a second and a figure appeared on one of the platforms with a small figure beside him, "And I suppose the reunion about to take place is one that shouldn't be postponed any longer either. Wouldn't you think so Monet?"

"Leveque?" Monet stammered.

Canon Smiled, "Surprised to see me? Forgive me Ms. Frost this is very rude of me. Monet knows me very well, you see I'm an old friend of her fathers." He chuckled, "He had quite the extensive knowledge that I needed to gain the political standing I have today. I am virtually untouchable in every major country on this planet, and it was all made possible through a few of the contacts I made through 'Daddy'. I must remember to thank him when next we meet."

"YOU BASTARD!" M yelled as she flew at Canon ready to deliver a punch. Canon grabbed her hand in mid flight and threw his other arm around hers in a compromising hold. Even with M's superhuman strength she could still feel the pain as Canon tried to force her shoulder out of it's socket.

"Really, M is that any way to treat an old friend of the family?" he grinned, "Especially when I have this fine offer for you people as well… Shroud. A portal of black energy appeared. It conformed itself around M's body holding onto her arms and legs.

"What I am about to offer you is a once in a lifetime chance. As I am well aware by this point, the poor St. Croix twins seem to be trapped in that monstrous form bestowed by our dear friend Marius." Canon grimaced. "I am in a position of authority, my friends, and can guarantee the twins long awaited freedom… if…" he paused once again to make sure everyone was listening, "If both Mr. Dallas and Ms. Laine are turned over to me at this point in time."

Christy looked at Penance; she had been able to communicate with the twins through her telepathic ability, an ability on a much more primal scale than Ms. Frosts but somehow effective. She had come to consider Penny as a close friend. She smiled weakly at Penance as she sent the telepathic message, 'goodbye'.

Without a word she leapt from the open hallway down several feet onto the platform.

"Balam! No!" Emma shouted.

"You're friend has made a wise decision." Canon said as Balam recovered, "Now Mr. Dallas?"

"I can swoop down and grab all three of the girls if one of ye can distract him long enough." Sean said to the group.

"Don't bother." Kevin said to Banshee, "I'll send them both back up when I land." He backed his motorcycle up preparing to jump.

"Sequel, don't do this, you can't trust anything this man says." Emma said.

"But there's still an outside chance he's telling the truth." Sequel said, "Christy isn't who he wants it's just me. I know something he doesn't want the world to know. And although it's buried deep in my brain somewhere, he knows how to get it. My death means nothing, I've died before, remember. With some luck you people will be able to retrieve my body before I'm revived."

"Sequel, you can't take stupid risks, you may see your own life as worthless, but look around you. Everyone on this team has grown to like and respect you. It wasn't easy, but you are a part of the team, a part of this family. Don't be so quick to throw it away."

"I'm sorry, time is up." Canon said with an evil grin, "I'm afraid all offers are closed." Canon pulled out his sword and lunged at Balam. She was barely able to Dodge in time.

"NO!" Sequel Shouted as he gunned his bike off the ledge. It plummeted straight for Canon. Canon saw it in time and teleported himself to an adjacent platform.

Banshee looked at Synch and said, "Come on!"

Synch synched up with Banshee and carried Skin down to the platforms below them as Banshee carried Emma. Penance leapt off the ledge as well. Jubilee looked at Chamber, "What are we supposed to do?"

Synch landed on the platform and started to Synch with Kevin, he looked back up at Jubilee, Husk and chamber and used Sequel's telekinesis ability to bring them down to the battlefield. The platforms were not far from each other; a good jump could carry a person from one to another. As the rest of Gen-X was descending to the battlefield Balam had doubled in size and was attacking Canon with her boomerang. Sequel had dismounted from his motorcycle and had grabbed a shoulder strap carrying explosives from one of the leather pouches on the bike.

Balam deflected Canon's blow with his sword and retaliated by launching her boomerang at him. "It's unfortunate that it should end this way child. It would not have been necessary for your friends to perish as well, I simply needed to get you and your boyfriend out of the way!" An explosion went off near Canon's feet. "Ah, speak of the devil."

 

"Ready when you are Mr. Cassidy." Everett said as he and Banshee approached the strange black energy that was holding M prisoner.

"Now whatever you do lass, don't move." Banshee said. He and Synch hit the portal with a double sonic burst, the portal began to quiver and shake. Releasing M it plummeted to the platform below, as it hit the ground it took the form of a grayish-blue skinned girl, knocked unconscious.

Without a word M rocketed towards Canon. Canon just dodged a blow by Balam when M hit him. Rolling to his feet Canon grabbed M and held the blade to her throat.

"What do you say, Kitty? Back off or your new friend gets an unflattering neck accessory." Balam slowly dropped her Boomerang. "That's a good kitty." Canon smiled, he quickly pushed M out of the way and lunged. The sword drove deep into her stomach.

"NO!" Sequel yelled as he ran towards Canon and his fallen friend. Jubilee saw Canon ready another strike and acted as quickly as she could. The pyrotechnics went off in Canon's face as Sequel ran up and hit him with an uppercut. Dropping the sword Canon fell over the edge of the platform. Holding on with one hand he looked back up at Sequel. "Don't think this is over." He smiled. His fingers then let go of the platform and he plunged into the seemingly endless chasm below them.

"Christy…" Sequel said as he approached the girl.

"Kevin?" She coughed, blood coming out of her mouth, "Kevin is that you? It's so dark… so cold…"

Kevin turned to M, "We've got to get her to a hospital, fast!" he yelled. M nodded as she picked up the barely conscious girl and flew out through the hallway. Kevin used his Telekinesis power to levitate his motorcycle towards the same hallway.

"Hold on Christy!" He thought as he raced after M. "hold on."

______________

Hours later, Skin approached him at the Hospital. Kevin was just finishing up his last cigarette in the pack as he approached, "How is she?" skin asked. Kevin looked up with a worried look on his face. "No word yet, huh?"

Dallas shook his head. Angelo laid a hand on his friend's back, "It's okay man, I'm sure she's gonna be alright."

They sat there for a moment. Kevin looked up as he saw the rest of Gen-X waiting there in the waiting room.

"Is someone here for Ms. Laine?" the nurse called out. Kevin dashed over to her, as did the rest of Gen-X. "Yes," Kevin asked, "How is she?"

"She's fine now. She's in the recovery room." The nurse reported. Kevin smiled as tears streaked down his cheeks.

"I'm the girl's Legal Guardian right now," Emma said to the nurse, "Can I talk to you for a minute?"

"Sure." The nurse responded and she walked down a hallway with Emma.

Kevin turned towards the exit and walked out the door. He lit up a cigarette and inhaled deeply.

Angelo came out the sliding doors to the emergency room and turned to Kevin, "You hear that, Vato? She's gonna be alright."

"It should've been me." Kevin said.

"What?"

"It should've been me, dammit, I'm the one with the resurrection ability, I'm the one who Canon was really after." He puffed on his cigarette again. "I'm the one who should be in that recovery room right now, not her."

"It wasn't your fault, Vato, how could you have known."

"Well, maybe I should've known, maybe I should've made an educated guess." He took the half-smoked cigarette out of his mouth and threw it on the ground, stomping it out with the heel of his boot. "Do me a favor and don't say a word to anyone, but I'm leaving tonight, and I'm not sure If I'm gonna come back."

"You can't be serious, man?" Skin said, "What are you going to do?"

"Think. Get my priorities straight. I don't know, something!" He said as he looked back inside, "Dammit I lost her once and I'm not going to do it again, You hear me!" he shouted, but not at Angelo, more at himself.

Angelo nodded.

"Now," Kevin sniffed, "I better go say goodbye to the girl I love." He turned and walked back through the sliding doors into he hospital.

______________

 

"It seems that the operation was a failure, sir." Shroud said.

"No, not really."

"They all escaped. The one called sequel was still intact and assuming they got her to a medical facility in time the cat-girl is alive too."

"She is not important," Said the voice from within the black corner of the room in the sub basement of Larkshire towers, "this battle was merely a prelude."

"Sir?"

"I was able to search his mind, the information was blocked, inaccessible except to a skilled telepath." The voice seemed to laugh; "My secret isn't going to be out in the open anytime soon, I have time to correct the problem.

"Sir?" Shroud said again.

"Pack your bags Miss Emerson," Canon said, as he stood up out of the darkness. "We're going to Boston."

 

 

 

            Now I thought I'd put up a couple of clips from one of the stories that won't make it to Volume 2. Once again I was working on using the human students as part of the story, and again I realized what a bad idea it was. However I had some fun with this, Sequel vs. Tristan, what could be funnier! I was working on this idea of Tristan pushing one of Sequel's buttons, fully unprepared for how much Sequel would push back, and it all starts with Sequel pulling the ultimate mind game on Marvel's favorite Rat-boy.

            The thing I loved about this story is how it would drag on, neither character would admit they were wrong about anything, until finally someone else had to come in and stick it in their face that both characters were being complete asses.

            The biggest problem of this story was the set-up, I had to get Sequel almost violently mad at Tristan, and to do that I had to have Tristan be in a compromising position with Kevin. Although I never wrote that part, I always figured I could have Kevin find out Tristan was hiding something (whether it was incriminating or not) that he didn't want the others to find out about. And there could be all sorts of humor as Kevin uses this as a bartering chip, Trying to get the better part of the deal as he forces Tristan to do some pretty Degrading things (well, within reason. I believe the worst scenario I had planned was Kevin would orchestrate a plan to get Tristan caught shoplifting pornography).

            Finally, Tristan would get fed up with this and subtly threaten Kevin's girlfriend, Christy. Thus making the biggest mistake of his life.

 

 

 

"Now listen up," Kevin said as he pulled Tristan outside, "cause I'm only going to say this once. Threatening Me through Christy is a bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad idea." Tristan looked back at Kevin with a determined look in his eyes, "Okay look," Kevin said as motioned for Tristan to follow him out towards the woods. He pulled out his cigarettes and continued, "You and country-girl Guthrie seem to get along real well, right?"

            "Right." Tristan replied.

            "Has she told you about my history?" Kevin asked as he lit up a cigarette. Tristan shook his head, "that's because my life is right outta all those horror conspiracy movies… or maybe it's the bad action films with Van Dame… anyway, I'm a lab-rat loner. You think you're tough cause you've had formal combat training? Maybe fencing or something in some fancy private fencing schools? Well I've been programmed to be the ultimate soldier, ruthless and expendable."

            "Look all I wanted in the first place is for you to promise not to say anything about what you saw."

            "Oh, and you have a really nice way of asking too, If I'm gonna bite it again ain't gonna be by no two bit preppie fuck with a…"

            "What!?!" Tristan steamed. Kevin didn't respond. He was looking off towards the trees. "What?" Tristan repeated.

"You know how I told you I was a lab rat?" Kevin asked quietly. Tristan nodded, "The lab's been trying to get their merchandise back." He shoved Tristan out of the way, as he did he shot back against a tree. Blood shot out from various points all over his chest. Tristan's eyes went wide with horror as he saw Sequel get riddled by an unseen gunman.

            "Oh, Jesus!" he said as Kevin slumped back. His cigarette fell out of his mouth as he fell over and hit the ground. Tristan quickly hid behind a tree. He instantly forgot all formal training he had received on part of his grandfather; no training could teach him to dodge a bullet. He thought he heard Kevin's voice and he peeked out from behind the tree to see if he was still alive. He lay motionless, his cold eyes fixated on him, blood dribbling down his mouth. A few small bursts along the ground reminded Tristan that the Sniper hadn't left yet either. He ducked back behind the tree. Christ, what was He going to do? His mind raced, and then it came to him, M! Monet had displayed near invulnerability, and she was in the hall just across the lawn. He glanced over at the building… it was a hell of a run. There were only two trees to cover him from gunfire and they were little more than saplings. He peered around the tree again to look at Kevin. He was no longer there. Christ now he had to run, for all he new the attacker could be right behind him. He bolted towards the building, praying to god that he wouldn't be killed… not like Kevin.

 

            Banshee lead the others as they rushed out into the area of trees Tristan told them about. There was no sign of Kevin. "Are ye sure of what happened here lad?" Banshee said. Hesitantly, Tristan nodded. "I donnae see any signs that they'd still be here." Banshee said under his breath. "this is bad."

            "I think it would be within our best interest to check the security cameras to see if we can find anything on the attacker there." Monet spoke up.

            "Oh, hell." Came a voice from beyond a tree. Sequel stepped out into view, "Don't bother." As everyone stood there in disbelief (especially Tristan) Sequel held out a small device in his palm and pressed a button, another stunt blood pack exploded under sequel's shirt, creating another simulated bullet wound.

 

            "Kevin, I donnae understan' what ye were tryin' t' acomplish, but yuir behavior was inexcuseable." Banshee said as he sat Kevin down to discuss his little joke. "Now I know I can't force ye to come clean as t' why ye did what ye did. But I cannae guarantee ye will not be allowed on campus in yuir previous role If'n ye donnae come clean." Kevin sat back and smoked on his cigarette. "Kevin, could ye at least apologize t' Mr. Brawn here?"

            Kevin sat up, put his cigarette out in the ashtray, and leaned over the table to Tristan, "Trist?" he said calmly.

            "Yes?" Tristan replied in a somewhat annoyed tone.

            Kevin Pulled off his shoe and pounded it on the table two or three times "I WILL BURY YOU!!!"

            Everyone was taken aback by this sudden outburst. It was quite obvious that Kevin enjoyed this as he sat back and grinned.

            Finally Paige managed to say, "What the hell was that?"

            "Oh that?" Kevin smiled, "That was just a standard opening move." He turned to Tristan, "Okay, Your turn."

 

 

            ::Look, gov'na,:: Chamber said as he pulled Kevin to another part of the room, ::I don' like the little bugger any more than yer do. But Even I'm no' so screwed in the 'ead to make the weasel think he's bein' hunted down by the military.::

            "C'mon Jono, you know it I know it, that was a stroke of genius. If you had though of it you'da done the same thing a long time ago."

            ::Yeah, I'll admit he had it comin':: Jono Replied, ::But I still think yer went just a little over the edge.::

 

 

"Okay Kevin," Paige said as she entered the Garage, "I know you don't like him, Whether that's out of your friendship with Jono or not I'm not sure. But please, for God's sake, can you at least try to get along with Tristan?"

            Kevin inhaled on his cigarette and then sighed, "Okay."

            "Really, you mean it?"

"Sure, and as a token of our new friendship I would like to invite you and Tristan to Come and ice skate with me on the River Styx."

            "Kevin it's mid Sept…" Paige trailed off as she realized what Kevin was referring to.

            "A little 'Hell freezing over' humor for you there." Kevin said, grinning as he went back to working on his bike.

            "Kevin what You pulled the other day on Tristan was inexcusable, The guy is not one of your Ex-revolutionaries, he's not one of your biker companions, he has no sort of training for dealing with any hostile attack such as that.. You terrorized him for nothing more than a cheap laugh."

            "Wrong!" Kevin said as he stood up, "I terrorized him for a damn good reason, He made threats on Christina."

            "Oh Come on, what would he possibly have to gain from threatening Christy?" Kevin stayed silent; "I thought so." Paige said at last. "You could at least face him like a man and make an apology." She said as she turned to leave.

            Kevin winged the socket wrench at the wall as she turned the corner, "WOMEN!" he shouted.

            "That's not why you're angry at all, Kevin, is it?" Christy said as she dropped down from the roof of the garage. "I don't know what you and Tristan have against each other, and I don't know why he threaten me because of it. But Kevin you have to keep something in mind." She kicked one of the other wrenches so it spun into the air and then caught it with blinding speed; "I can take care of myself. I took Care of myself for thirteen years in the Amazon. Tristan is nothing compared to some of the hardships I've faced in there."

            Kevin sat down and held his head in his hands, "You're right, you're right, I guess just deep down I've always felt like I was the chivalrous type."

 

 

            "Oh, I get it!" Tristan said glaring at Kevin, "You don't like me cause I'm rich."

            "What?"

            "You're a bigot. You say you fight against all these bigots who are against mutants but here you don't like the upper class simply because they're upper class."

            "I don't like you because you're a manipulative little weasel boy who's tryin' to bite off more than he can chew."

            "You're a bigoted Hypocrite!"

            At this point Paige grabbed Kevin and Tristan by the collars and pulled them into an empty classroom, "Alright let's get this all over with right here and now. Kevin you're acting totally immature. I just won't stand for your threats or taunts any more."

            "Yeah." Tristan added.

            "Yours either, Tristan," She turned to her present boyfriend, "Kevin is an intimidating man at times, I know, and he's not exactly the nicest guy in the world, but making threats on his girlfriend? That's just low, and in this case unhealthy. As dangerous as Kevin is, Christy is ten times what he is." She turned back to Kevin, "Now I'm not asking you two to be friends, but I am asking that you two start acting like adults."           

 

The End


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page