GENERATION X: Wishmaker Part 1 written by Quamp


Generation X/Group X: "Wishmaker"

The Dreaded Disclaimer

(Front cover. The members of Generation X are standing in the middle of a small town in Wyoming. Surrounding them are the servants of Seth, God of death. Next to Generation X is a young blonde woman, about 15. She is dressed in a jacket, shirt, and blue jeans. Caption notation: H- Holly-Ann Ember/Wishmaker; S-Seth; S.E.- Sheriff Ember.)

Cap (N): Beset by snakes!

(Page 1, panel 1. The Ember house, in Venture Ridge, Wyoming. Coming home from school is Holly-Ann Ember, a young blonde woman with blue eyes. She wears a blue jacket, green shirt, and blue jeans. She is carrying some books.)

Cap (N1): Meet one of the most powerful mutants in Wyoming.
Cap (N2): Her name is Holly-Ann Ember.
Cap (N3): Right now, she doesn't want to have a life filled with adventure and excitement.
Cap (N4): She had her fill of that a few years ago.
Cap (N5): She is a mutant, however.
Cap (N6): And she will come into conflict with everyone.

(Panel 2. Holly-Ann sets her books on the table.)

Cap (H1): Whew. What a day.
Cap (H2): I have to wonder how they do it all.

(Panel 3. She opens one book to show it has pictures of Generation X in it.)

Cap (H1): They're teenagers like me.
Cap (H2): Yet they have adventures all over the world, and battle for what's right.
Cap (H3): They also study hard.
Cap (H4): How can they do both?
Cap (H5): I have enough problems with the studying part.

(Page 2, panel 1. Holly-Ann looks around.)

Cap (H): Say, where's mom?
Holly-Ann: Mother? I'm home!

(Panel 2, splash panel. Leave room for credits here. Holly opens a door to see her mother on the floor, a mere pile of bones and dust.)

Cap (H1): OHMYGAWD!
Holly-Ann: Mother!!
Cap (H2): What happened to her?
Cap (N): [Episode title] Snakedance!

(Page 3, panel 1. A little later. The place is now corded off with police tape that reads "Crime scene do not cross." Sheriff Ember consoles his daughter.)

Holly-Ann: My God... mom's dead... what could have done this to her?
Sheriff: Don't worry now, Holly-Ann. You still have me to protect you...
Cap (S.E.1): But how can I protect my child from something like this?
Cap (S.E.2): Especially when she's secretly a powerful mutant that can make certain wishes come true?

(Panel 2. Sheriff Ember puts an arm around his daughter.)

Sheriff: Well, you just run upstairs, and we'll finish this talk later, o.k.?

(Panel 3. Upstairs. Holly-Ann sits at a computer, waiting for it to connect to the internet.)

Cap (H1): Maybe some web surfing could brighten my day.
Cap (H2): Mom always wanted me to use this for gaining knowledge.
Cap (H3): But I'm going to miss mother dearly.
Cap (H4): I wish I could wish her back, but that would bring suspicion to me and dad.

(Panel 4. The computer connects to the internet.)

Cap (H1): Generation X is in the news again...
Cap (H2): Something about defeating Black Tom Cassidy and the Juggernaut.
Cap (H3): It makes me wish we had a team of mutants around here to combat things that go wrong...

(Page 4, panel 1. The place is a nearby ranch/farm. In the open spaces, a team of shock troops train for the day they will try to take over the world. Supervising them is the Mongoose.)

Cap (N1): The reason for the death of Mrs. Ember is simple.
Cap (N2): She was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Cap (N3): But it has a lot to do with this.
Mongoose: You are pathetic! My lame grandmother could do better than this! That's 10 more laps around the place!

(Panel 2. Go over to see a couple of scientists standing in front of Seth.)

Cap (N1): He is a God from Heliopolis.
Cap (N2): A snake of death.
Cap (N3): His name is Seth, and his latest plot is hatching...
Scientist: The DNA disencorporator is working as expected, Seth... for the most part. It's killing them fine, but it still leaves bones behind.
Seth: Well, such a defect is acceptable... now, we have to work on making it for the world... and soon, death will reign like it never has before.

(Panel 3. Seth smiles.)

Seth: I want a test town on this - something small, as not to arouse too much suspicion.
Scientist: The closest town like that is Venture Ridge.

(Panel 4. Focus on Seth's face.)

Seth: Do it.

(Page 5, panel 1. Fort Worth, Texas. Lotus and Walking Eagle are sitting opposite each other, in the meditation room.)

Cap (N1): Later, in Fort Worth, Texas.
Cap (N2): The mutants known as Lotus and Walking Eagle meditate for awhile.

(Panel 2. Fade to their vision. They see a large, menancing snake in front of them, going off to one side.)

Lotus: Now what?
Eagle: Follow it.

(Panel 3. The snake goes over to a map of the U.S.A.)

Lotus: Snake trouble? Where?

(Panel 4. The snake enters the map, into the state of Wyoming.)

Lotus: We'd better get the team together on this one.

(Panel 5. Shortly thereafter. Assembled are Lotus, Walking Eagle, Starshot, Bakerman, Mirror, Quicksand [as Quan,] and Sonnos.)

Lotus: I can't explain it, but we have to go there.
Quan: I do not know why, but your words fill me with dread.

(Panel 6.)

Lotus: Well, stay here if you must, but -
Quan: [interrupts] No. I must go with you.

(Page 6, panel 1. They walk to their plane.)

Lotus: Then let's do it.

(Panel 2. The Mass. Academy. The members of Generation X are sitting in a class being taught by Sekment Conoway. The women of the class are listening intently to what she is saying; the men, for the most part, are fantasizing about being in love with her. Sekment is in a conservative business dress, the students are in school uniforms.)

Cap (N1): The next day, at the Xavier school for gifted youngsters,
Cap (N2): The members of Generation X are treated to a guest lecture by Sekment Conoway.
Sekment: (1) Thus we are left with the question of how the Roman empire fell. Nobody knows exactly why, but there are several theories. First of all, the Huns, who were fierce warriors, couldn't invade China because of the wall they were building. So they turned their attention west where the Germanic tribes lived. Those Germanic tribes, fleeing the Huns, went west into the Roman empire.
Sekment: (2) Secondly, the Romans themselves had grown complacent. They had been in a state of peace (more or less) for over 300 years. Sure they had battle-ready soldiers, but the soldiers hadn't engaged in a war.
Sekment: (3) Thirdly, there was a corrupt system of overtaxation to support the wealthy, and the massive bureaucracy it took to run the empire. It was probably a combination of these factors and more that lead to the fall of the Roman Empire.

(Panel 2.)

Sekment: People knew the empire was about to collapse, and so they hid their money, and other valuable things. We're still finding things from the late Roman period and still trying to catalogue it all. A lot of emporers from that time are known only by their faces on the coins. Many of them were in office for just a few days.

(Panel 3. A bell rings.)

SFX: RRRIIINNNNGGGG!!

Sekment: Well, that's all for today. Thanks for being a good class.

(Panel 4. Some of the class gathers their things to leave, but most of the men are still in dreamland.)

Jubilee: [to Synch] Ah-hem.
Synch: I think I'm in love.

(Page 7,panel 1. Zero G pulls Synch up by his ear.)

Zero G: [coldly] It better be me you're thinking about.
Synch: Ow! Tracy! Leggo!

(Panel 2. Jubilee slaps Skin.)

Jubilee: Snap out of it, Angelo!
SFX: SLAP!
Husk: Man, show you guys a good looking woman and you're lost in a sea of hormones.

(Panel 3. The guys pick their stuff up while the ladies exit. None of the ladies are amused by this situation.)

Synch: [to Skin] She sure was beautiful, though...
Skin: I wonder if she's available for private tutoring...
Zero G: Angelo Miguel Espinosa-Carano cut that out this minute!

(Panel 4. Skin snaps back into reality.)

Skin: All right, amiga. Relax.
Husk: I cannot believe you would allow your baser instincts to take over your minds like that.
Jubilee: Paige, it must be a guy thing. They're genetically programmed to do that.

(Page 8, panel 1. They go out of class.)

Jubilee: Well, let's hope this next class isn't so bad.

(Panel 2. Go back to Holly-Ann. She is in school, daydreaming of being a heroine. She stares off into space.)

Cap (H1): Man, the life of a hero must be so wonderful.
Cap (H2): But I have to stay here until I grow up and learn it all.
Cap (H3): And of course, wishing it would arouse suspicion...

(Panel 2. The teacher approaches Holly-Ann.)

Teacher: So what can we make of this, Ms. Ember?
Cap (H1): Uh-oh.
Cap (H2): I wish I knew the answer.

(Panel 3.)

Holly-Ann: I... I don't know.
Teacher: Precisely. Please pay attention here. I am not talking to you just because I like the sound of my voice.

(Panel 4. Suddenly several of Seth's shock-troopers burst in, firing their guns. They kill the teacher.)

SFX: BLAM! BLAM! BLAM!
Trooper: You have been marked for death!
Cap (H1): Ohmygod!
Cap (H2): I wish Generation X was here to stop them!

(Page 9, panel 1. Out in the hallway, Generation X appears, wearing their uniforms.)

Zero G: What's going on here? Where are we?
Queen: We're going to find out soon enough, Tracy.

(Panel 2. Enter about 6 or so of Seth's shock troopers. They are armed to the teeth.)

Trooper: Fugitives! Kill them all!

(Panel 3. The troopers open fire as the members of Generation X dive for cover.)

Zero G: Man, just once I'd like someone to kidnap us and takes us to a nice vacation setting.
Queen: You get used to it... I hope.
Banshee: Donnae let them win, lassie.
SFX: Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam! Blam!

(Panel 4. Concentrating, Zero G makes their weapons rise into the air. The troopers continue their assault, however.)

Trooper: Disarming us is far from defeating us.

(Panel 5. The members of Generation X return their attack,and a melee ensues.)

Synch: Let me Synch with you...

(Page 10, panel 1. In one part, Jubilee fires her energy plasmoids, hitting some of the troopers. Synch takes out more of them with their fists. Skin has another wrapped up, Husk, now in a metal skin, strikes yet another, Banshee uses his sonic powers on another, and the White Queen psi-blasts the last one.)

Queen: Why have you brought us here?

(Panel 2. The troopers fight back, going toe-to-toe with Generation X.)

Trooper: We didn't bring you here but we're gonna make sure you don't leave alive.

(Panel 3. Go over to Group X. They are in their plane, flying over the Wyoming prarie.)

Cap (N): Meanwhile...
Lotus: This is like looking for a needle in a haystack. We need to narrow the search field down some.
Computer: Attention: Sensors have picked up trouble at the city of Venture Ridge.

(Panel 4.)

Lotus: Get us there now.
Computer: Course laid in and executed.

(Panel 5. The Group X plane turns.)

Lotus: Get ready.

(Page 11, panel 1. Venture Ridge. The place is overrun with Seth's shock troopers. They attack the townspeople, who fight back.)

Cap (N1): It was 400 well trained, well armed troops against 100 townspeople armed with simple guns, knives and tools.
Cap (N2): The townspeople stood little chance.
Cap (N3): Until help came from above.

(Panel 2. Enter the Group X plane.)

Lotus: Everyone, to the teleporters. Starshot, stay here and use the ship's lasers to fight them from above.
Starshot: Right.

(Panel 3. The troops have the townspeople pinned down as Group X teleports in. Quan is now in her Quicksand form. All Group X members are in their uniforms.)

Lotus: This stops here, now.
Trooper: The team Seth warned us about! And they have brought the traitor with them!

(Panel 4. Quicksand advances on the troopers.)

Quicksand: Unlike you, I chose not to believe Seth's lies anymore... and unlike you, I have chosen not to be played the fool.

(Panel 5. The troopers attack Group X, and a melee ensues.)

Lotus: She's right, you know. Seth's words of glory and power are just those - words. The truth is, no being can achieve absolute power.

(Page 12, panel 1. The leader orders the troops back.)

Leader: Fall back, let the gas take care of them... except for the traitor. She must be brought to Seth.

(Panel 2. They throw a net over Quicksand, who passes through the net.)

Quicksand: This is not very effective against me.
Leader: That is what you think.

(Panel 3. Suddenly Quicksand turns back into Quan.)

Quan: What in the world?

(Panel 4. While the other members of Group X try to get to her, one of Seth's servants grabs Quan, and teleports out.)

Quan: Hey!
Trooper: The master will be pleased.

(Page 13, panel 1. Back at the school, Generation X has repulsed the attack.)

Cap (N1): They fought long and hard.
Cap (N2): And barely won.

(Panel 2. The members of Generation X look around.)

Jubilee: Where are we?
Voice: [from off panel] Venture Ridge, Wyoming. I'm afraid it's my fault that you're here. I am very sorry for bringing you here.

(Panel 3. Enter Holly-Ann Ember.)

Holly-Ann: My name is Wishmaker, and I'm kinda sorta the local heroine around here.
Queen: So how did we get here and who was that who attacked us?

(Panel 4.)

Holly-Ann: Like you, I am a mutant. I have the power to make my wishes come true, if I concentrate enough. I wished someone would help us fight these troopers. As for who attacked us, that I do not know.

(Panel 5.)

Wishmaker: [Holly-Ann] I first found out about my power several years ago.

(Panel 6. In the background we see images of Storm, the Wasp, the She-Hulk, and Tigra behind Wishmaker. These are action shots of them fighting.)

Wishmaker: Several years ago, A.I.M. set up a camp near here, and some guy calling himself the Timekeeper was terrorizing our town. My power first manifested itself when Storm, the Wasp, the She-Hulk and Tigra first appeared, and began fighting back for us. In the end the town was freed from the barrier around it and the Timekeeper arrested.*
Cap (N): *A condensed version of events in Marvel Graphic Novel #16.

(Page 14, panel 1.)

Wishmaker: Now I have to be careful of what I think, what I do, and what I say, because the wrong wish can get everyone into a lot of trouble.
Queen: Well, I doubt that someone would attack a school without reason. There's more here than meets the eye.

(Panel 2.)

Wishmaker: I agree - that's why we need you.

(Panel 3. A green mist filters into the place. The members of Generation X and Wishmaker hold their noses.)

Jubilee: Phew! What is this totally heinous smell?
Wishmaker: I wish it would go away.

(Panel 4. The gas retreats from that place.)

Queen: We must investigate this further. Let's search the town for answers.

(Panel 5. Back with Group X, we see they are in the middle of the green mist.)

Cap (N): Meanwhile, the members of Group X find themselves in a sticky situation...
Lotus: Computer, teleport us back.

(Panel 6. They disappear in a flash of light.)

Cap (N1): The gas is very deadly.
Cap (N2): But it does have its limitations.

(Page 15, panel 1. Go back to the headquarters of Seth. Seth is holding up a scientist with his hand by the scientist's neck.)

Seth: What do you mean there's a flaw in the gas?
Scientist: [weakly] It - glak - didn't show up - gasp - until now... but - choke - the gas won't - ugh - effect mutants.

(Panel 2. Seth throws the scientists across the room, where the scientists crashes into a wall, leaving an impression there.)

Seth: [angered] FOOL! I will not tollerate such incompetence! Get back to work at once!

(Panel 3. Group X plane. They are analyzing the gas.)

Mirror: Computer, report on composition of the gas.
Computer: The gas is composed of 25% benzonates, 25% thiocyanates, 18% atozine tripalomantinate, 19% selenic acid 11% Codrozite Hydrochloiride and the rest is inert emulsifiers.
Lotus: What is the effect of this gas on the human body?

(Panel 4.)

Computer: Working... on a normal human body, this gas is fatal. On a mutant body, the gas is harmless.
Walking Eagle: So Seth's trying to off all the normal people in the world. It doesn't sound like his modus operandi, though.

(Panel 5.)

Lotus: Agreed. Unfortunately, the one holding all the answers now is Seth.
Mirror: Along with Quan.
Starshot: I'm going t'land. I think I see something down there...

(Page 16, panel 1. The plane lands outside the school. The members of Generation X are nearby.)

Synch: Is that what I think it is?
Jubilee: I like totally hope so! Maybe they've got a clue about what's going on.

Wishmaker: Who is that?

(Panel 2. Group X enters, coming out of the plane.)

Jubilee: Esteban! I'm like majorly glad to see you!
Sonnos: Ah, Jubilación, I wish the circumstances could be more pleasant.

Wishmaker: Who are you guys?

(Panel 3. The teams gather around each other. Sonnos and Jubilee hug.)

Lotus: We are Group X, and it looks like we've come just in time.
Queen: Any information on who's beind this would be most appreciated.
Eagle: Let's discuss this in the plane.

(Panel 4. Group X plane. The members sit around in the lounge area, along with Generation X and Wishmaker.)

Cap (N1): About two hours later.
Cap (N2): Everyone is filled in on the details.
Queen: But what would Seth want with a small town like Venture Ridge?
Lotus: My theory is that this is a test case, before using this mist over the whole world.

(Panel 5. Aside, Jubilee, Sonnos, and Wishmaker.)

Jubilee: Esteban and I are in love. I totally miss him all the time, except when we're together.

Wishmaker: Wow. I thought you superhero types didn't have problems like the rest of us.

(Page 17, panel 1. Lotus smiles.)

Lotus: The only thing that separates us from the rest of everyone else is that we have been trained to do this. The hero/heroine is the person who does the right thing at the right moment. Sometimes, it's as simple as that.
Jubilee: It's majorly hard balancing a career as a crimefighter and trying to get a diploma at the same time.
Banshee: Aye. Sometimes we fall behind in teaching things, and we have to take time away from other things to learn.
Husk: We've had very little free time since we started Generation X.

(Panel 2.)

Wishmaker: I think I know where your friend is.

(Panel 3.)

Wishmaker: There's a farm not far from here - creepy things have been going on there. They say some paramilitary organization is training there.
Lotus: That's a good place to start. Where is it?

(Panel 4. Sae Quan Yat is chained to a wall. She wears a dress that is in rags, her left eye is blackened, and she has numerous cuts and bruises on her body.)

Cap (N): And so...
Voice: [from off panel] Nice of you to return to us, traitor.

(Page 18, panel 1. Quan, in a haze, sees Seth and the Mongoose there.)

Mongoose: Let me tear her throat out, master.
Seth: No... killing her will be my pleasure alone.

(Panel 2. Seth approaches Quan.)

Seth: You have caused us a lot of trouble and pain, Sae Quan Yat... now, you are going to pay for it all.
Quan: If I must die, I will do so stopping you.

(Panel 3. Seth strikes Quan in the face, and blood comes out of Quan's mouth.)

Seth: Silence!
SFX: SMACK!

(Panel 4. Seth looks Quan over.)

Seth: You will die in good time... but I want you to suffer first. I want you to see how we defeat your friends and humiliate them. I want you to watch as they all die. You will be utterly helpless as everything around you crumbles.

(Panel 5. Quan spits in Seth's face.)

Quan: Ptui!

(Panel 6. Seth strikes Quan again.)

Seth: Enough! Such hubris on your part will lead only to more pain.
SFX: WHACK!!

(Page 19, panel 1. Seth turns away.)

Seth: Do what you want with her... but keep her alive.
Mongoose: Right.

(Panel 2. The Mongoose slashes Quan across her face.)

Mongoose: I owe you some serious pain, witch!
SFX: SLASH!

(Panel 3. Go back to Seth. A trooper enters.)

Trooper: Master, I have more news.
Seth: Speak.

(Panel 4.)

Trooper: Another team of mutants has shown itself - some group calling itself Generation X.
Seth: So, they have brought reinforcements... no matter. They all will die none the less.

(Panel 5.)

Seth: I have makred them all for death - except for the two under the protection of the Divine One. But we will kill them anyway.

(Page 20, panel 1. Go back to Group X, Generation X, and Wishmaker. Many of them have adjourned to the cockpit, but several of them are still in the living area, where we join them. Wishmaker is next to Mirror and Penance. Mirror and Penance have an arm around each other.)

Wishmaker: Let me get this straight. You cannot be touched by anyone except him?
Penance*: Yes. My skin is razor sharp and diamond hard. Touching anyone else would cut them deeply.
Cap (N): *Remember here Penance speaks with the help of an artificial vocal box.

(Panel 2.)

Mirror: (1) And I am from an alternate future where things turn out o.k., but I am here to insure they do so.
Wishbringer: This is all so confusing... I never knew stuff like this existed.
Mirror: (2) Actually, the hardest part of things here has been maintaing our relationship.

(Panel 3.)

Wishmaker: You two maintain a long-distance relationship?
Mirror: It has been very hard, and I've been tempted numerous times, but sometimes, it's only the face of Penance that keeps me going.
Penance: I feel the same way. Mirror has something of a calming effect on me; but there have been times when he gets me upset...

(Panel 4. Wishmaker turns away.)

Wishmaker: It must be nice being in love... I've never had a lover. I was always afraid if they found out I was a mutant, they'd run away.

(Panel 5. Lotus enters.)

Lotus: We have arrived at that ranch, everyone. Get ready.

(Page 21, panel 1. Lotus enters.)

Lotus: Wishmaker, we're going to need all the help we can get out there. I want to fit you for a uniform.
Wishmaker: Me? A real uniform?

(Panel 2.)

Lotus: Yes. Follow me.

(Panel 3. Wishmaker stands on a dais while Lotus is next to some computer panels.)

Lotus: Computer, scan Wishmaker here for her measurements. We're going to need to outfit her in a uniform made of unstable molecules.
Computer: Working... done.

(Panel 4. Wishmaker joins Lotus next to a panel. This panel has a picture of Wishmaker in a white bodysuit on it.)

Lotus: The default is a white bodysuit - but it is like a blank canvas to paint your desire for looks.
Wishmaker: Really? Wow!

(Panel 5.)

Lotus: Choose wisely.
Wishmaker: I don't know where to begin.

(Page 22, panel 1. Seth's place. He watches on a screen as the Group X plane lands.)

Trooper: Master, what will we do?
Seth: Well, they have come to us... this makes killing them all the more easier. Have the main troops return here. But I want the pleasure of killing the spirit witch myself.

(Panel 2. Outside the place. Generation X, Group X, and Wishmaker exit the plane and go toward the building.)

Wishmaker: I'm scared.
Lotus: You are perhaps the most powerful among us, Wishmaker. Conquering fear will make you a heroine.

(Panel 3. Seth's troops enter, with Seth leading them.)

Seth: Welcome to your deaths!
Cap (N): Next: Snakes to the left, snakes to the right!

To Be Continued...


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page