ELEKTRA/ GENERATION X: Handoff Part 2 written by Quamp


(Front cover. Elektra strikes M with the butt of her sai. The other members of Generation X look on.)

Cap (N): Tough love!

(Page 1, panel 1. Group X headquarters, in the Danger room. The members of Generation X are busy learning the martial arts. They are following the lead of Elektra, including the White Queen and Banshee. All are in their uniforms.)

Cap (N1): It has been two weeks since we last saw Generation X.
Cap (N2): In that time, Elektra has given them a very strict regimen of exercise, discipline, and the like.
Cap (N3): She is also training them in the martial arts.

(Panel 2. Elektra thrusts her left arm forward in a Wu Shu move. The others follow.)

Elektra: (1) The martial arts are more than just the moves, Jubilee.
Elektra: (2) It is about honing the senses.
Elektra: (3) Perfecting the moves in conjunction with your mutant powers will make you difficult to defeat.

(Panel 3. Retracting her left arm, Elektra then thrusts her right arm out, and the others follow.)

Elektra: (1) Perfecting the mind is the first step in being the true warrior.
Elektra: (2) It takes concentration.
Elektra: (3) It takes discipline. It takes reaching deep inside you and finding out if you have the true heart of the warrior.

(Panel 4. The group relaxes.)

Elektra: Rest for awhile. I shall return shortly.

(Page 2, panel 1, aside, White Queen and Banshee.)

Queen: I still do not see why I have to do this.
Banshee: We are the leaders, Emma. As such we have t’set a good example f’r the team.

(Panel 2. Elektra joins the aside.)

Elektra: I wish to talk to you both... alone.

(Panel 3. Elektra, Banshee, and the White Queen exit.)

Cap (J1): My name is Jubilation Lee.
Cap (J2): And I am as confused as someone who listened to the Spider-Man: Maximum Clonage plot.
Jubilee: So now what do we do?
Synch: I don’t know about you, but I’m going to catch up on my studying.

(Panel 4. Banshee’s office. He and the White Queen talk to Elektra.)

Elektra: I’ll give it to you straight. There is hope for them, but it is very doubtful that they can work together without some form of extreme treatments.
Banshee: I think we donnae have much of a choice here.
Queen: And just what do this “extreme measures” entail?

(Panel 5. Elektra stares into the White Queen’s eyes.)

Elektra: Time, effort, and a lot of patience.

(Page 3, panel 1. Back in the danger room, the team is reading their books.)

Cap (H1): This is a record.
Cap (H2): Jubilee hasn’t said a word in almost five minutes.
Jubilee: This is like so totally bor-ing!
Husk: Jubilee, do you mind? We’re trying to study here!

(Panel 2. Enter Elektra, The White Queen, and Banshee.)

Cap (H): Me and my big thoughts.
Elektra: I will now begin an intense one-on-one with each of you. The others should rejoin your classes; we will let you know when I want to train with you. I want Jubilee to be first.
Jubilee: Okay.

(Panel 3. The others leave as Jubilee and Elektra come face-to-face.)

Elektra: Well, little one, we have much work to do with you.
Jubilee: What are you talking about?

(Panel 4. Elektra draws her sais.)

Cap (J): Has she gone wacko?
Elektra: Defend yourself.

(Panel 5. Elektra attacks as Jubilee dives out of the way.)

Elektra: I have read your profile here... you seek pleasure first, and worry about pain later.
Jubilee: But, doesn’t everyone?

(Page 4, panel 1. Jubilee fires her plasmoids as Elektra easily and effortlessly avoids them.)

SFX: Pip! Paf! Pip!
Elektra: The true warrior knows that s/he can rest only after the battle is won.
Jubilee: But, like, the battle we fight doesn’t end!

(Panel 2. Elektra thrusts with her sai as Jubilee ducks.)

Elektra: Then rest you should not. However, there’s more here, is there not?

(Panel 3. Elektra takes Jubilee down with a foot sweep.)

Elektra: You’ve been very jealous of others, have you not?
SFX: THWACK!
Jubilee: Ah!

(Panel 4. Elektra stands over Jubilee.)

Jubilee: That was a totally cheap shot.
Elektra: The true warrior must clear the mind of all distractions... be it thoughts of love or thoughts of envy.

(Panel 5. Elektra helps Jubilee up.)

Elektra: Remember, we all suffer, but we all suffer in different ways.
Jubilee: Uh... right.

(Panel 6. Elektra stares deep into the eyes of Jubilee.)

Elektra: We all have much promise, but what you do with it is what separates the warrior from the dead.

(Page 5, panel 1. Elektra is now opposite Synch.)

Cap (N): Later, Elektra chooses her second charge Synch.

(Panel 2. Elektra draws her sais as Synch grabs a bo staff.)

Cap (Sy1) Mutant power is useless here.
Cap (Sy2): So I’ve got to resort to other methods.
Elektra: Defend yourself.

(Panel 2. Synch swings with the staff, missing Elektra who easily avoids it.)

Elektra: The warrior trains for accuracy as well as power.

(Panel 3. Elektra swings with her sai, and Synch dives out of the way.)

Elektra: The warrior does not allow for distractions. Jealousy rages in your name.
Synch: Huh?

(Panel 4. Elektra gives Synch an elbow to the chest.)

Elektra: You know that others are interested in being your love. But the one you love has gone away.
Synch: How do you know this?
(Panel 5. Elektra gives Synch a hit in the back of his head with the butt of her sai. This sends him down.)

Elektra: Know your enemy, and know yourself... and you will always emerge victorious.

(Page 6, panel 1. Elektra stands opposite Skin.)

Cap (N): Later still...
Elektra: The path for you is very difficult indeed... defend yourself.

(Panel 2. Elektra lunges as Skin dives.)

Skin: ¡Caramba!
Elektra: Speaking Spanish will not help you.

(Panel 3. Skin swings at Elektra, missing.)

Elektra: Nor will thinking with a streetwise attitude.

(Panel 4. Elektra gives Skin the butt of her sai in the stomach. Skin doubles over.)

SFX: Whump!
Skin: Oof!

(Panel 5. Elektra pushes Skin to the ground.)

Elektra: Anger is your worst enemy, Skin. I know, I have been there myself....

(Panel 6. Elektra stands over the fallen Skin. Skin is now stretching his toes around Elektra.)

Elektra: Let go of your anger, Angelo. It does you no good.

(Page 7, panel 1. Angelo does a jumping stand, pulling Elektra off her feet. She crashes onto her back.)

Skin: And overconfidence is always a downfall.
SFX: Whump!

(Panel 2. Elektra stands, and smile slightly.)

Elektra: Brownie points for you, Skin... for the warrior cannot let down the guard for a moment.

(Panel 3. Elektra stands opposite Husk. Husk is in her uniform as well.)

Cap (N): And next...
Elektra: You are the one called Husk. Defend yourself.

(Panel 4. Husk dives out of the way, trying to tear her skin off to reveal a skin of metal.)

Husk: Whoa!
Elektra: Your enemies will not wait patiently for you to prepare to fight.

(Panel 5. Husk is now half-in, half-out of a metallic form. She and Elektra swing at each other, and both miss.)

Elektra: Your mind is filled with distractions.... like what is going on right now with you and Tristan.

(Panel 6. Shocked, Husk is caught off guard, and gets hit by Elektra.)

Husk: How could you have - Enh!
SFX: Thwap.

(Page 8, panel 1. Husk finally manages to get into a metallic form completely.)

Elektra: There is a proper time for everything, and other troubles should be set aside now.

(Panel 2. Elektra gives Husk an elbow in the back.)

Husk: This ain’t fair! Ah don’t have anywhere near the experience you do!
Elektra: Life is not fair.
SFX: Whump.

(Panel 3. Elektra pushes Husk to the floor.)

Elektra: You have a lot of studying to do, Husk...

(Panel 4. Husk stands.)

Husk:Ah don’t see how Ah could have won.
Elektra: Winning is not always with actions.

(Panel 5. Husk sheds her metal skin back to her normal skin.)

Husk: So how could Ah have won?
Elektra: Show me that you have the spirit to win.

(Page 9, panel 1. Go back to Adrienne Frost and the agents of the Hand. Standing opposite her now is Kuroyama, the Black Mountain. He is dressed in his uniform. They are in Adrienne’s office, and she is sitting at her desk.)

Cap (N): And back with Adrienne and the Hand...
Adrienne: Do not underestimate my sister, Kuroyama... she is a very adept fighter and one of the most powerful telepaths on the planet. She can easily mow down your ninja clan like they were grass.
Kuroyama: I disagree, Adrienne. Elektra is the most dangerous one there. She is skilled in the ways of the warrior. She has been known to teach these ways to others. I know she will be teaching this so-called team of your sisters.

(Panel 2.)

Kuroyama: We must strike now before she can teach them the ways of the warrior!
Adrienne: And we cannot just waltz into there and knock them over! This is something that we must plan.

(Panel 3. Kuroyama starts to exit.)

Kuroyama: We strike at dusk - with or without you.
Adrienne: Kuroyama you are an obstinate @#$*&%!!

(Panel 4. Kuroyama stops, and narrows his eyes at Adrienne.)

Kuroyama: Watch your mouth, woman... or you will find that your usefulness is limited.

(Page 10, panel 1. Elektra stands opposite Chamber. He is in his uniform.)

Psi balloon (pointing at Chamber): Just what do you plan to do?
Elektra: Teach... and you had better be ready to learn.

(Panel 2. Elektra attacks, and Chamber dives out of the way.)

Elektra: I have read your profile, Chamber... anger does you no good.

(Panel 3. Chamber fires, and Elektra easily dodges the blast.)

Elektra: Fate does cruel things to us at times... it is what we do with what happens that separates the great warriors from those who do not survive.

(Panel 4. Elektra takes Chamber down with a foot sweep.)

Psi balloon: (pointing to Chamber) Blimey!
(Panel 5. Elektra stands over a fallen Chamber.)

Elektra: Your enemies will show no mercy... you must reach within you, and find your center, and then train to improve.

(Panel 6. Chamber stands.)

Elektra: The first thing you should do is show more mobility in fighting.

(Page 11, panel 1. The White Queen enters as Chamber stands.)

Queen: I would like to talk to Elektra for a moment here...
Psi balloon: (pointing to Chamber) Sure...

(Panel 2. The White Queen grits her teeth at Elektra.)

Queen: What the HELL do you think you’re doing? All I see here is you beating up on my students one at a time!
Elektra: The process starts with experience... something they do not have.

(Panel 3.)

Queen: Well, explain this one away. I found out that a few months ago, you supposedly lead a force that destroyed the Hand for good.
Elektra: I destroyed the head of the beast... but a few scattered remnants remain.

(Panel 4. Focus on Elektra’s deadpan face.)

Elektra: Some of it cannot be destroyed.
Queen: I’ve studied about these people. They practice black magic, they have done a lot of things all over the world. And you expect my students to take these people on?

(Panel 5. Go back to a general perspective.)

Elektra: There is more to it than that. Word has it they have a new ally in Boston. Although I do not know who she is, the informant said she had some connection to you.
Queen: The only ones who would do that are Adrienne and Cordelia... Adrienne is in jail, and Cordelia is in Europe now...

(Page 12, panel 1. The White Queen exits.)

Queen: You had better not be lying, Elektra.

(Panel 2. M enters.)

Elektra: So you must be M.
M: Yes.

(Panel 3. Elektra draws her sais.)

Elektra: Let’s see how well you do.
M: As you wish...

(Panel 4. M and Elektra circle each other.)

Elektra: I have studied your profile.
M: Which gives you a distinct advantage. However, there are things I have heard about you...

(Panel 5. M lunges, and Elektra catches M’s arm.)

Elektra: Out of all the members of Generation X, you seem to be the most powerful.... and least in control.
M: Meaning...?

(Panel 6. Elektra flips M over.)

Elektra: You seem to pride yourself on appearances and desires... yet you don’t do what is really required to get the job done.

(Page 13, panel 1. M stands.)

M: In this place, it is hard to concentrate on higher needs... as we are here to satisfy lower goals.
Elektra: Working on other things is no excuse for slacking off in the main department, M. This is a constant struggle, and we have to work on this as well as other things.

(Panel 2. Elektra puts away her sais.)

Elektra: You have an advantage in that you have been exposed to the message... but it is a plant that is wilting and dying. It must be constantly watered, constantly cared.

(Panel 3. M exits.)

M: I understand, “sensei.”

(Panel 4. Elektra is opposite Zero G.)

Elektra: Well, the new kid in town... Zero G, is it?
Zero G: Yes.

(Panel 5. Elektra draws her sais.)

Elektra: You’ve been having a lot of trouble fitting in around here, haven’t you?
Zero G: Not really.

(Panel 6. The two square off.)

Elektra: Yet the others don’t seem to accept you as one of their own.
Zero G: Being a good friend takes time to develop... things don’t happen overnight.

(Page 14, panel 1. Zero G concentrates, and Elektra flies up into the air.)

Elektra: Pulling an opponent off the ground is far from defeating them.

(Panel 2. Elektra throws her sai, which the butt hits Zero G in the head.)

SFX: Whack!
Zero G: Ow!

(Panel 3. Elektra lands on the ground.)

Elektra: Overconfidence can ruin a victory as much as incompetence.

(Panel 4. Elektra approaches Zero G.)

Elektra: I am noticing a strong pattern here... too much concentration on the body and mind, and not enough on the spirit.
Zero G: What are you talking about?

(Panel 5.)

Elektra: For any warrior to be great, they must balance the body with the mind and the spirit - something your teachers seem not to notice.
Zero G: I suppose you’re going to force me to read the bible now.

(Panel 6.)

Elektra: Not just the bible - but other literary works designed to point you to the proper place. If it is the bible, then read the bible. If it is the works of Zen, then read the works of Zen. If it is the tales of the Ojibway, then learn them. God does not care how you reach out to him - just as long as you do so.

(Page 15, panel 1. Elektra is opposite Penance.)

Elektra: They tell me you do not speak, Penance, but I think we should let your fighting do your talking for you...
Penance: Thanks to technology, I can speak. However, true victory lies in silence.

(Panel 2. Elektra and Penance clash claws-to-sais.)

Elektra: How would you know of victory?
Penance: I envision it constantly... then I work for it, and achieve it.

(Panel 3. Elektra flips Penance over, but Penance lands on her feet.)

Penance: For example, here I know that I am outclassed in skill, and the way to win is to show you that I have entered the path.

(Panel 4. The two of them stop fighting. Elektra sheathes her sais.)

Elektra: You have passed this challenge, Penance. Congratulations. Nobody else has passed.

(Panel 5. Library. The members of Generation X kids are gathered around several books. These books are of Zen philosophy and metaphysics, as well as military strategy. The Gen X kids are in their school uniforms.)

Jubilee: I don’t get it. I like just don’t get it.
Husk: [quietly] Jubes, we’re trying to read here.

(Panel 6. Jubilee is lost.)

Jubilee: I mean, the books on military strategy I can understand. But why does Elektra want us to read these other things? I mean, this Zen stuff isn’t gonna come in handy when people are trying to kill you, right?
Voice: [from off panel] Wrong.

(Panel 7. Elektra enters. She is wearing a modest one-piece dress.)

Elektra: That literature is as much your training as working out in the danger room.
Jubilee: But I don’t get any of it. This stuff is like majorly silly.

(Page 16, panel 1. Elektra stares daggers at Jubilee.)

Elektra: Then you choose not to see what is there, Jubilee. There is a lot of power in those stories... and you’ve got to see beyond the words to the meaning without words.

(Panel 2. Elektra exits.)

Jubilee: Just who does she think she is anyway? I mean, just how is this going to help us?
M: The point of great literature is to point the way to a great spiritual revelation, Jubilation.... Not that you would know about that.

(Panel 3. Jubilee gets in M’s face.)

Jubilee: Oh, and I suppose you being ‘little Ms. Perfect’ do.
Husk: [intervening]That’s enough, Jubilee. We’re a team, not enemies.

(Panel 4.)

Husk: You’re not going to learn anything by arguing with Monet.
Synch: And others are trying to read.

(Page 17, panel 1. Jubilee reads the book.)

Jubilee’s thoughts: [1, reading] Joshu’s Zen: Joshu began the study of Zen when he was 60 years old and continued until he was 80, when he realized Zen. He taught from the age of 80 until he was 120.
Jubilee’s thoughts: [2, reading] A student once asked him, “If I haven’t anything in my mind, what should I do?” Joshu replied: “Throw it out!”
Jubilee’s thoughts: [3, reading]“But if I haven’t anything, how can I throw it out?” continued the questioner. “Well,” Said Joshu. “Then carry it out.”1

(Panel 2. Jubilee shakes her head.)

Cap (J): I don’t get it. If it is nothing, how can he get rid of it?

(Panel 3. Go over to see Husk reading another Zen book.)

Husk’s thoughts: [1, reading] “When Banzan was walking through the market he overheard a conversation between a butcher and his customer.
Husk’s thoughts: [2, reading] “‘Give me the best piece of meat you have.’ said the customer.
Husk’s thoughts: [3, reading] “‘Everything in my shop is the best.” replied the butcher. ‘You cannot find here any piece of meat that is not the best.’” At these words Banzan became enlightened.1

(Panel 4. A confused look comes over Husk’s face.)

Husk: I think I get it...
Jubilee: Well, I like totally don’t get it. This is like so majorly useless! What does it mean anyway?
M: It means you are not paying attention. Would you like it if someone chewed your food before your ate it?

(Panel 5. Jubilee, like Queen Victoria, is not amused.)

Jubilee: That was like majorly disgusting, Monet.
M: Then don’t learn. In your case, it would probably help.

(Page 18, panel 1. Banshee is in a hallway, talking to Elektra.)

Banshee: I heard ye fought the lads today, and beat each one of them one by one.
Elektra: Not all of them... they have a long way to go before they can take their rightful place in the war, Banshee. Unfortunately, they do not have enough time to properly train.

(Panel 2.)

Elektra: M and Penance show the most promise... the others will need more special training.

(Panel 3. They walk along the hallway together.)

Elektra: However, there is a problem I see here... you have been emphasizing a lot of work on the mind and the body, but no work at all on the spirit.
Banshee: And...?

(Panel 4.)

Elektra: A great warrior cannot expect to win without divine understanding. Once the spirit is honed, the rest will come naturally.
Banshee: Now hold on here. This school is secular. We don’t emphasize one religion over another.

(Panel 5. Elektra narrows her eyes.)

Elektra: I’m not asking you to do that... but I am asking you to goad them into pursuing more of the spiritual side of nature. Many of the great warriors we know today did not rush into battle with no knowledge of God or a set of Gods.
Banshee: I donnae think tha’ it’s our place to do that.

(Page 19, panel 1. Go to outside the Mass. Academy. Kuroyama, about 10 Hand ninjas, and Adrienne Frost are approaching the gates to the school for higher learning.)

Cap (N1): The villains come in for the kill.
Cap (N2): Will they leave with their goals achieved?
Cap (N3): For that, you will have to go to part III
Adrienne: Agreed. We will split up. Do what you want with the kids and Elektra... but Emma is mine.

(Panel 2. Kuroyama brandishes his sickle at her.)

Kuoryama: Do not order us around, woman... or you will find your uselessness will outweigh your usefulness.

(Panel 3. Elektra is now outside the buildings, walking the campus.)

Cap (E1): I sense them.
Cap (E2): They are here.
Cap (E3): The kids are nowhere near ready.
Cap (E4): Which means I have to stop them alone....
Voice (from off panel): Don’t do it alone.

(Panel 4. Elektra turns to see Stick there.)

Elektra: Stick!
Stick: So now you’re teaching a bunch of kids. Are you sure this is what you should be doing?

(Panel 5.)

Elektra: Yes. They are lost in a wilderness of confusion without proper guidance.
Stick: And the teachers here aren’t doing their jobs.

(Page 20, panel 1.)

Elektra: I never said that - they leave out one crucial element when it comes to training warriors - the path.
Stick: Just be sure you know what you’re getting into.

(Panel 2.)

Stick: After all, your track record isn’t the best...
Elektra: But I have learned from my mistakes, Stick... after all, was not Kuroyama a student of yours once?

(Panel 3.)

Elektra: We are all born with the seed of greatness. What we do with it separates the warriors from the others.

(Panel 4. Elektra vanishes.)

Stick: Trust her, you say....

(Panel 5. Stick dives to avoid getting hit with a sickle on a chain.)

Stick: You!
Voice: Yes, o sensei... now, you must die!

(Page 21, panel 1. Stick finds himself amidst several Hand ninjas, Kuroyama [who is reeling in his sickle] and Adrienne Frost. Adrienne wears a special headband in addition to a blue spandex outfit.)

Adrienne: We cannot waste too much time on this old blind man. We’ve got bigger fish to fry.
Kuroyama: There is no escape for you this time, old man.
Stick: Now why would I want to do something like that?

(Panel 2. Adrienne pushes a button on her headband, and then Stick grabs his head, falling to his knees.)

Cap (N1): She wore a headband that augmented her psi powers.
Cap (N2): Stick had no chance against a powerful psi blast.
Adrienne: Enough! We mustn’t waste time on him! The longer we stay here, the more likely we are to be detected!
Kuroyama: No!

(Panel 3. Kuroyama slaps Adrienne, knocking her down.)

Kuroyama: Foolish woman! You robbed my of victory!
SFX: SMACK!!

(Panel 4. One of the Hand ninjas intervenes.)

Ninja: The psi-witch has some truth, Kuroyama. We can always come back for him later. But the one who betrayed us is still roaming free.
Kuroyama: Tie him up. I don’t want him getting away from me.

(Page 22, panel 1. Control center. Banshee is there, checking things out.)

Banshee’s thoughts: All quiet f’r once...

(Panel 2. He sees on a screen Adrienne Frost, Kuroyama, and the Hand ninjas approaching the main building.)

Banshee: Mother McCree!

(Panel 3. Banshee pushes a red button, and an alarm sounds.)

Banshee: We’ve got trouble here! Everyone report t’yuir rooms at once! Our special students must come t’the lobby in gear!

(Panel 4. Go back to Adrienne et al.)

SFX: RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!
Adrienne: I told you we wasted too much time! We’ve been detected!
Kuroyama: Split up, everyone.


1These two stories come from the book Zen Flesh, Zen Bones, compiled by Paul Reps (Anchor/Doubleday, New York, 1989.)


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page