The Foxfire Trilogy:
Old Endings, New Beginnings Pt.5
By: Trax


"Kaylan?" Monet said shaking her. "Get up!"

Monet sifted through all of the quilts and blankets draped on Kaylan's bed. Finally, at the head of the bed, she found a foot. She followed it down to the bottom and pulled back the covers.

"Whaat?" Kaylan said as she pulled back the bandanna from her eyes. Her voice was harsh and scratchy.

"Are you okay?" Monet asked still holding the covers back.
Kaylan sat up in bed a wiped her face with her hand, "Yeah, I'll live."
Monet looked her up and down, not sure what to make of the situation. With a roll of her eyes she decided not to press it any further, "You know we have class today," she said changing the subject.

"Oh yeah, that's right," she said still rubbing her face. She stood up and slowly made her way to the closet.

"I'm going down to get a bite to eat, "Monet said walking over to the door. "You should too, before classes start." When she didn't receive an answer she took one last worried look back at her friend.

Kaylan kneeled in the closet, searching for a pair of sweat pants. She found a pair of blue ones and slipped them on. She found the matching sweater and took it from the floor. Kaylan slowly walked over to the window-seat and sat down on the soft colored pillows that lined the area. Suddenly a sharp pain shot up her side, and then in an instant it was gone again. Her eyes clenched shut at the flare of pain. She peered out the window.
Monet slowly came into view, and Kaylan noticed that she was walking the opposite direction than the dinning hall was in. Where's she going?Kaylan thought to herself.

She quickly dismissed the thoughts of Monet, and sighed deeply. Her head hurt and her vision was hazy. Man I wish I had that medicine that they gave me at the compound, she thought with a small chuckle. She bundled the sweat shirt up in her lap and used it to prop her arms up as she massaged her temples. She searched through her shirt, and clasped a necklace. She sat there with the necklace in her hands as she looked out over the campus.Maybe I could have Ms. Frost turn it off, or something, she thought ,but then she'd want to know what was causing it, and I don't think I'm ready to talk about any of this just yet. Besides I don't trust that woman running around inside my head!
Kaylan looked at the clock across the room. Class would start in 15 minutes. She decided that it was about time to start down. Slowly she stood up from the seat and left the room.

Kaylan entered the classroom, and saw that everyone was already there. Sean sat in the front of the class at an old wooden teacher's desk. The classroom was not big by any means. No more than seven rows of desks with six desks on each row filled the room. Paige, who was front and center, sat with a notebook and pen ready to take notes. the second row was empty, followed by the third that Monet sat on. On the fourth row, in the two seats directly behind Monet, sat Jubilee and Everett, who waved at her when she entered. Jubilee shot a evil stare at her as she waved back. The fifth row was also empty. Then on the sixth were Jono and Angelo.
Kaylan saw Monet point to the desk next to her. She quickly sat down, laying her notebook and Shi'ar Sciences book on the desk.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Monet asked.

"Yea, now quite asking me," Kaylan snapped back.

"Sorry, it's just that you don't look so hot, maybe we should go down to the med-lad after class."

"No I'll be fine, this used to happen a lot. All I need is some rest."

Monet didn't answer. She just sat there and looked at Kaylan, half wanting to protest the other half knowing it would be no use.
Just them Sean stood up in front of the class. "Good mornin' lads and lasses. Class will be short today on account of use needing to put up the Christmas tree. Please get out your Shi'ar Sciences books and follow along."

Kaylan's head slowly drifted down to her desk. Then there was a tap on her shoulder and a piece of folded paper fluttered into her lap. She looked around to see if anyone was looking then looked at it. On the front it had her name. She looked around again and began unfolding it. It read:

'Kay-

It's been two weeks since you've been here and over a year and a half since we've been together. What happened to those times, 'Kay? What has happened to you between here and now, chica? We need to talk. Meet me in the Biosphere by the pond at 1.

-Angelo
"Ms. Carter," came a voice from above her, "Would ye like to share that with the rest of us?"
She jumped at his voice, her hands flaming up with the paper in them. The ashes fell to her desk.

"I guess not then," Sean said looking at them. "Please Kaylan, pay attention in class. It will only be 45 minutes today, the least ye could do is listen. Now can you tell me the three types of morphing mutants?"

Kaylan looked up at him, her eyes swollen, and still slightly embarrassed at what had just happened." Umm.. Omnimorph, Metamorph, and Maximorph?"

"That is incorrect. Lass are ye okay?" Sean asked looking down at the puffy faced girl.

"Yes sir, I'll be fine. I think it's just some kinda allergic reaction. Probably to that cheap scented lotion that M wears," Kaylan answered trying to ease the situation.

"It is a VERY expensive lotion, I might add. It came from the bath and body section of Victoria's Secret. It's Country Apple," Monet stuck in crossing her arms, and looking away.

"I denae doubt it lass," he said to Monet. "Now does anyone else know the answer?"

As usual Paige's hand went up. "Sir. there are not three types of morphing mutants there are only two. Omnimorph and Metamorph."

"Very good, Paige. I see that ye read last night's chapter." Sean walked to the head of the class again, "Ye all would stand to learn something form Paige."

"Like being a suck-up," Jubilee commented from the back of the room.

/Now that's not fair, gel,/ Jono said.

"You're just saying that cause you like her," Jubilee spat back.

Jono turned the color of a radish, and backed down.
"Come now lass, tis not fair to be making fun of Jono like that," Sean said looking at Jubilee. Sean looked up at the clock. "You are dismissed."

Kaylan and Monet got up and began walking to the door, Angelo was a little ahead of them. As he left he turned around and nodded to her. Monet looked at her, "What was that about?"

"Nothing," Kaylan replied back.

"Did Angelo write that letter to you?"

"What letter?" Kaylan asked back as they walked down the hall.

"You know what letter I'm talking about," Monet teased poking her in the side. "That letter you incinerated in the middle of class."

Kaylan smiled and rolled her eyes.

"That letter WAS from Angelo? OHMYGAWD!" Monet said becoming suddenly excited. "Is there a little romance on the side?"

"Monet!," Kaylan said, "Be quiet! Everett and Jubilee are right behind us!"

"SO is there?!?"

It's deeper than that. I...I'll just tell you later, Okay?"

"You're going to make me wait all the way until later?"

"If you want to know bad enough, you'll just have to wait." Kaylan looked down at her watch. "Umm... I gotta go I'll see you later then."

Kaylan opened the door and headed out towards the Biosphere.

***

The William Becker sat at the computer typing furiously. The screen flashed, screen after screen flew past. He began to sweat slightly, becoming nervous. Gotta find her He thought to himself.

Then suddenly he felt a hand on his shoulder, he jumped knocking his canned soda over onto the desk. It dripped and ran onto the floor. "I'm sorry sir," he apologized as he got on his hands and knees and began whipping up the mess with a paper towel.

"That is alright Becker. Now please get up."

Becker stood before his boss, shaking with nervous energy.
"Sit down," she commanded again. Becker did as he was told. "Now tell me about the progress that has been made on finding our missing mutant."

Becker spun around in his chair, and began typing at the keyboard again. "I've been able to track the hunter's signature up until his last minute of existence. After that it goes blank."

"Do you think that she killed him?" his commander asked.

"Most likely, if she didn't I would have been able to pick up his signature by now. I'm reading in the general area of New York state or Massachusetts. All we need is a for her to use her powers on a scale registerable by our machines, and then we got her." Becker smiled at his discovery she'll reward me for sure he thought to himself.

The commander smiled to herself Now I have you she thought. "Becker, you have done a good job. You shall be rewarded." She turned and began to leave his small box-like office. "Call me when you get a fix on her."

Becker leaned back in his chair and breathed a sigh if relief. This could be it he thought.

***

Why am I doing this? she asked herself, Why do I do this to myself? I go in there hoping that he'll want to be with me, knowing that I can't take him back. Not after what he did, not after how he did it. Not after so long. How can I hope that he'll still love me. She chuckled slightly . Love. That's a funny word. How can a person who says he loves you stab you in the back?

Her eyes swelled up with tears. She sniffled slightly C'mon girl she coached herself. I'm not going to cry, not now, not after all this time. It was so long ago, why do you let this keep on bothering you. It was almost two years ago, get over it!!!" Her eyes stung with tears, the cold whipping against her face. Normally the cold wouldn't effect her , due to her powers. But now for some strange reason the cold broke through. She hugged her books close to her chest, and sank deeper into her sweat shirt.

The doors to the Biosphere swooshed open, and she entered. She was surrounded by the lush green forests of their training grounds. The warm, regulated air did nothing to sooth her chills, and she found herself actually growing colder that she was out side. She navigated the 'sphere uneasily, with the grace of a child in the largest toy store in the world. Looking at her surrounding as is seeing them for the first time.

She emerged from the tropical forest that inhabited this unusual place, and entered a clearing. There in the middle of a clearing sat the pond and huge waterfall looming off into the sky. To the left was the club house of Artie and Leech, the two youngsters of the academy. She looked around for Angelo, but he was nowhere to be found. She walked over to the pond and sat down at a rock by the edge, and sat her books by her on the ground.

She looked up and saw Angelo leaning against a tree. "Angelo," she said monotone.

"Don't say it like that chica, you're supposed to be saying it with feeling. Like this, ANGELO!" He threw his hands up and began walking towards her.

"That's not funny Angelo. Now what do you want, I don't feel good and you're just wasting my time."

Angelo looked at her, the cheer leaving his eyes. "What's been wrong with you lately chica? I thought you'd be happy to see me after all this tiempo."

She was still sitting down on the rock. "After all this time? After all this time?!" she was standing now, and yelling. "I can't believe that you think that I'd just come running back to you after what you did to me! The Angelo I know can't be THAT stupid!"

Angelo looked as if he'd been slapped in the face, his eyes filled with sorrow. He lowered his face, " 'Kay, I thought, I didn't know."

"Well now you do. When you left me, in the middle of a crowd no less, to go with Tores and her gang, that hurt me more than anything. You just left me! Then you kissed her, Angelo! You kissed her!!"

"I thought that you didn't want me anymore, I thought that you and Santiago were a item."

"That muscle headed, jock!? So you go off with someone you know I can't stand? Angelo, think about it! Why didn't you atleast ask me?! Why Angelo?"

"I don't know why, okay! I just don't know! I guess you hurt me so much, chica."

"You knew that I'd be going back to mother's house in Oakland the following week to, didn't you? You figured that you wouldn't have to deal with me until next summer when I'd be back at my dad's, that you'd just put it off. But when I came back, that next summer, you were dead! I didn't even get to say good bye, did you know that hurt me the most? Did you?!" Kaylan was now yelling in his face.

He opened his mouth to respond, but she cut him off again.

"He're something else I bet you didn't know. When I was held you were the only thing that kept me alive. Through all the torture, through all the experiments, through it all. YOU, Angelo. The time you took me to the fair, and won me that giant Taz. Remember?!? The time we snuck out and went to the Cliffs? Those were the times that I thought of. Then I thought 'Hey it's not going to happen, he's dead!'" Kaylan through her hands up in frustration. "Angelo, if you had only told me why. Why I know you know better than think that I'd go off with Santiago. I didn't even talk to him. Sure he hit on me a couple of times during the summer, but that was it."

She was standing eye level with him, her eyes watering. Angelo could clearly tell she was straining to hold them back, then he remembered her words from the first night she was there 'I promised myself that I wouldn't cry'. And them he himself started to water up. "Kaylan I'm sorry, I had no idea. I just thought that it would be better for you if we weren't together anymore. You saw how deep in the gangs I was. You saw what kinda life I lead and you know your dad never liked me. I just didn't want you to have what I had, I wanted you to have better."

"Angelo I got tired of hearing that same line from my dad, I don't want to hear it with you! You know that the only reason I liked spending the summers with my dad were to see you. You know that I had to beg my mom to let me come down. I didn't care what type of life you had, just as long as it was with me! I loved you Angelo! And I thought you loved me." Her lip trembled slightly.

"I do love you! I've never been able to get over you. After all you were the only girl that mi mamma liked." he smiled slightly. "Me and Tores, there was nothing there. I tried to think there was, but there wasn't. Kaylan you are the only one for me, and I know it. All you have to do is know it." Angelo pulled at a chain that hung around his neck. A large golden cross emerged from his shirt and fell, dangling from the linked chain.

"You still wear it?"

"Every day of my life. I told you that I always thought about you. You gave this to me, I would never take it off."

Kaylan did the same and came back with a silver chain with a small silver heart dangling from it. "I managed to keep it even at the compound."

The mood had calmed down tremendously. Kaylan was now looking at the ground, at a loss of words. Angelo reached out with his hands, and grasped hers. "I'm sorry chica, I never knew that this all would hurt you so much. I loved you then and I love you now.."

"Oh Angelo, don't say that. You don't know what I've been through, you don't know were I've been. You can't possibly say that you love me now."

"Say it chica."

She looked deep into his eyes, somehow searching for an answer. Then she found it. She found the strength the say what she need to, "I...I...I love you Angelo." she whispered.

He pulled her close, and hugged her. They fell to their knees, still embraced in a hug. Never wanting to let go. For the first time in what seemed like ages, Kaylan cried. Tears of happiness ran down her cheeks, spilling over onto his shoulder.

They sat there embraced for the first time in a year when suddenly Kaylan pushed him away. He fell back onto the grass. "'Kay?"

She clutched at her stomach, clenching her eyes shut. "Get...get..a...away!" she managed to spit out. She looked up at, her eyes a golden red color.

Angelo turned and began to scurry off, but it was too late. Kaylan began to whimper and shake. The golden red-orange spread from her eyes to her face then down the rest of her body, until her whole body burned with a golden metal luster her hair grew into strands of fire. She strained to put the fire back down into the pit of her stomach, and finally it seemed to work. The luster began to stop spreading, and actually began to reverse it's path/ Bu tin one instant it began again she rolled on the ground burning the earth under her body.

Angelo watched in horror as the girl he had just proclaimed his love to was before him, wriggling in pain. "'Kay?"

"Angelo...get..away! Can't...hold...for..much..longer..!" Just then her body shot into the air. There she was suspended in mid air, her body limp in the grasp of some unknown force. Then her body began to grow brighter and brighter, until Angelo's vision was clouded by the light. The wind began to whip up around her body. Then in a second she exploded, the blast sent air rushing towards him.

Angelo was thrown back like a rag doll, as the explosion of energy reached his body. He was thrown into a near-by tree. The wind was knocked out of his, but somehow he managed to stand. Fighting the currents of wind he began running back towards the direction that he thought Kaylan was in. Moments later he reached her . She was, laying on the ground glowing, with energy, uncontrolled, unrestrained energy. He reached for her, not bothering to think of the possibilities.

"No Angelo...don't..touch..." but she was cut off be her own screams of pain. Another wave of energy pulsated throughout her body, once again blinding him. But still he pushed and pressed until he held her in his arms.

Just as quickly as it had happened it stopped. Kaylan was laying in his arms, clothes tattered and torn. Lines on pain etched across her face.

Angelo began to run towards the exit to the Biosphere. Across the campus through the snow he ran, not thinking of anything else, except for the fact that he needed to get her to the med-lab.
He burst through the doors of the main building and ran into the main hall. There he saw Paige. Everett, Jubilee and Sean decorating a huge Christmas tree.

"What happened.." Sean began but was cut off as Angelo collapsed on the carpet, Kaylan crumbling on top of him.


Okay I'm tired of saying it but here goes...Foxfire-MINE! Everyone else-MARVEL! get the pattern??? :)


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page