The Foxfire Trilogy:
Old Endings, New Beginnings Pt.3
By: Trax



Sean, Ororo, and Emma arrived in the medlab waiting room. Sean briefed Ororo on the previous days events, and warned her of the dangers that lay ahead.
They entered the observation room and sat down at the various monitoring stations. Sean sat at a computer and began typing vigorously, while Emma waited for the printouts at a rather large printer. Storm made her way across the room to the observation window, "I think that our little mystery is awake," she said pointing at the window.
The girl was on the other side ripping the various wires and probes she was attached to off. Sean ran through the door connecting the two rooms, "Hold on there, lass."
"I'm sorry," she said, "But I can't stay here." She tried running to the door, but it was blocked by Emma and Storm.
"Where do you think you're going, little girl," Emma said viciously.

***



Marrow's muscles tightened at the silence. She slowly began to creep towards the bushes. She tried again, "Who's there ... Come out!"
"Whoa, Marrow," Paige said as she stepped into the clearing, hands raised above her head.
Marrow dropped her arms, "Don't do that, Cornball," she said almost sounding relieved. Turning around she whispered, "You could get yourself hurt, and we don't want the pretties to get hurt."
Paige cocked her head to the side at that last remark, "Wha..."
Suddenly she staggered then fell to her knees, "Marrow," she breathed before her face hit the ground.
Marrow turned back around to see Paige lying face down in the grass, "Cornball?" Suddenly she was hit with an intense psychic blast. Staggering she instinctively dove behind a tree.
"Where is she?" a voice echoed in her head.

***



Emma staggered suddenly feeling the echo of the psi-assult, and leaned against the wall for support.
"Emma, what is it?" Sean asked.
"Its him," the girl said shifting nervously," you have to let me go!"
"She's right, Sean, someone's here. They're in the biosphere," Emma said, now standing up.
"But Sara and Paige are in the Biosphere," Storm realized.
"Trust me, " the girl pleaded, "He's really dangerous."
Sean looked from the girl, to Emma, to Storm, he sighed, "If it's a danger to our students then we have no choice but to believe you."
With that he scooped Emma up in his arms, "Can you fly?" he asked.
"Does a dragon have wings, " she said suddenly brightening.
"Err ... so that’s a 'yes'," Sean asked slightly confused at the saying.
"Yes." Suddenly her chest began to brighten, then it spread throughout her body, and in a flash of light, and a sound similar to rushing air, her body was engulfed by flames. She exhaled deeply, the strain of changing obviously written on her face.
"Shall we?" Storm asked.
"We shall," Emma answered, mocking Ororo.

***



Upstairs in the girls' dorm Jubilee was just lying down to go back to sleep. With the soothing sounds of Hole blasting in the background, she had hoped for a good mid morning to mid afternoon nap
Suddenly she was jarred awake by an echoing wail. She ran to the window, and saw three streaks of color soar towards the Biosphere.
Banshee wouldn't be wailin' like that for no reason, she thought.
Grabbing her yellow rain coat she dashed out the door.

***



Marrow shook off the last of the psychic blast. Still a little groggy she glared up at the figure that had attacked her, he was now standing over the unconscious Husk. Without thinking she pounced on him, bones extended forward, she landed.
Almost instantaneously she bounced off a shield and was thrown into a nearby tree.
The shadowed figure walked towards the recovering form of Marrow, "You have become an annoyance". He held up his hands, suddenly a large explosion rocked the ground.
"Step away from the girl," Storm commanded, quickly taking charge of the situation.
Banshee flew overhead while Emma and Storm created a barrier between Husk, Kaylan, and the intruder.
"This doesn't involve you. All I want is the girl, you give her to me and I'll leave you AND the kids alone."
"How do you know about the children?" Emma asked.
"Guys, what’s up?" Jubilee asked running up behind the group, followed by the rest of the group.
"Stay back!" Banshee ordered.
::Sean, that man is a powerful psionic, I'm not sure if I'll be able to disable him by myself:: Emma spoke into his mind.
::We'll just have to stall:: He thought back.
He began to shower the intruder with blast after blast of sonic energy.
::It's not working Sean. I'm trying to bypass his psionic barriers, there's just too many of them:: the strain evident even in her psychic voice.
"Storm get the children out of here," Banshee wailed over the sound of his own voice.
Storm swept up a wall of wind and began forcing the students back and out of the biosphere. Trees creaked, and began to uproot at the force of the winds.
"Stop this," the girl said finally speaking up. "This is all my fault." Once again there was the sound of rushing air and a flash of white light.
"You want to take me back?" she said moving towards him. "Well it's gonna have to be done the hard way."
Kaylan focused all her energy down into the pit of her stomach. Her body flared with pain as she suppressed the energy that, at one point, had flowed freely from her. But she ignored it, trying not to notice the mind numbing pain that typically came with her chancing such a dangerous maneuver. Still she pressed on, until the moment she couldn't hold it anymore. She let loose in a wail of agony, one that would have shamed the Banshee himself.
Energy burst from her chest. It curved itself into a pulsating ball of white-hot energy. Almost with a mind of it's own it shot out towards the intruder, dodging trees and bushes, until it struck the man directly in the chest. It melted into his body, illuminating his mouth with the same eerie glow that it produced. The glow spread out until his whole body was also glowing. The intruder’s body began to pulse, getting brighter and brighter with every passing second until the students, teachers and friends looking on had to cover their eyes.
The sound of rushing air once again filled the biosphere as the intruder exploded, sending out wave after wave of energy shooting out across the area.
Banshee fell from the sky, hitting a tree on the way down. Emma clung desperately to the ground, while Storm tried her best at keeping the fire pulses away from the children.
The fire pulses faded, leaving the onlookers to gather themselves. In the center of the pulse knelt Kaylan, looking down into her hands.
"My god, what did ye do tuir him," Banshee asked coughing at the kicked up smoke.
"I ... I," she sobbed, " I killed him but there will be more ... I promise you."

***


"Sean, I'm telling you I felt something. That girl just doesn't have the usual fire manipulation powers of Sunfire or Sunspot, " Emma yelled.
"Now how do ye know that?" Sean said staying calm.
"Like I said I felt psionic energy in that pulse."
"How do ye know it wasn't residue from the intruder?"
"Trust me Sean. Every person with just a smudge of psionic power has an energy signature they send out when they use their powers. I've become used to Jono's, and I can vaguely remember the intruders signature." She was now slamming her fist against the desk. "Now, that signature that was sent on those pulses was an altogether new one. I'm, positive that it came from that girl." She sat down in a chair.
"Okay Emma, assuming that it did come from the girl. What do you propose we do?"
"I think we ... should ..."
"Exactly, you have no real complaint other than the fact that yuir afraid of her powers. This girl obviously needs help controlling her powers, and WE are here for her."
Emma stood up and placed her hands on his desk, she bent down to put her face close to his. "Sean Cassidy, if this is a mistake may it be on your head!" She stormed out of the office, slamming the door behind her.
God man, this better be the right choice he thought placing his head on his desk. The light on the wall flickered for a second, faded, then went out, leaving him in the darkness.

***


Kaylan sat in a chair outside of the huge Headmaster's office, sobbing into her hands. After all that time, she thought You'd think that I'd be happy to be free, but not like this, not here with HIM, not after what I just did.
Suddenly the door to the office swung open, Kaylan sat up in her chair and began to wipe her eyes. Emma Frost stormed out and glared down at the girl, then quickly turned and walked off into the darkness of the long hall.
"Please come in," Sean called from his office.
Kaylan stood up and walked into the office, sliding her feet half from exhaustion half from shame.
"Sit down please." he said as he lit another lantern.
She did, trying to cover holes in her blue and black uniform.
"Now I know that ye may or may not know what is going on here." He stood and waked around to the front of the desk. He sat on the edge facing her, " This is the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters. We are a private school, endorsed by Professor Xavier we train young mutants on how to use their powers."
"Whoa hold on ... Xavier as in mutant activist Xavier," her eyes suddenly grew large ," Ohmygawd," she whispered.
"Well I suppose so. Anyways we are here to help you, I offer to you a place in our school, as a student."
She looked away from him and out the window Should I stay, she thought I don't know, HE's here. I don't know if I can handle it. "Can I have some time to think about it?" she asked.
"Um ... sure take as much time as you need. In the meantime you can stay here until you make up your mind." He stuck out his hand, she took it. "Hi I'm Sean Cassidy, welcome to Generation X..."

***


About an hour later Kaylan still sat in the office, receiving information about the school. Sean told her a little bit of the history of Generation X, the X-Men, and Xavier's connection to the X-Men.
"You mean to tell me that Xavier is the brain behind the X-Men?" she said.
Sean chuckled, "Aye he is." He looked down at his watch, "Tis time fer ye to go. I'm sure that your room is ready. I believe that ye'll be roomin' with Monet." He walked with her to the door.
"Um ... Mr.Cassidy, I want to thank you. Thank you for offerin' to take me in, I have no where to go."
"Tis alright lass, it's what we do 'ere." Sean opened the door. There stood Monet looking just as perfect as ever. "Kaylan Carter, this is Monet St.Croix, Monet this is Kaylan."
The two girls shook hands. Monet stepped back and looked Kaylan up and down," I think I like you," she turned around and walked down the hall. "Follow me."
Kaylan looked back at Sean, he nodded. She sighed and walked after Monet.

***


The walk over to the girl’s dorm was in relative silence. Soon they arrived at the door to the dorm entrance.
"These are the girls dorms, right now it's only four of us, and even though we have over 200 rooms Mr. Cassidy and Ms Frost insist that we share rooms." M pushed the door open and guided Kaylan to their room, 3B. She pushed this door open too, revealing their living quarters.
"I'd think that you'd want to a shower," Monet said looking down at Kaylan's torn outfit.
"Yea, I guess so."
"The showers are down the hall to the right, you can't miss them. In the closet you will find a whole new wardrobe, and that dresser over there is yours, it is also full. I hope that they fill your own needs," she walked over to the door, " I will be back at seven, we have a meeting downstairs." With that she opened the door and left.
"Gee, thanks," Kaylan said to the door.
Kaylan looked around, surveying the room, taking a glance at everything in the room. She walked over to the closet and opened the two double doors wide. Her eyes grew large at what was before her. Never before in her life had she ever seen so many clothes in one place, well for her at least. At the Stronghold she had been to the uniform factory but that was it. She shook her head, trying to shake away the thoughts of the past, I can't think of that now, I'm in a better place now. She reached in a pulled out a pair of Jeans and a small T-shirt. She then walked over to the dresser and pulled out some undergarments.
Smiling, she made her way out of the room and to the showers. I think this just might work out she thought.

***


Kaylan walked into her room drying her hair, there on her bed sat Monet.
"Hi Monet," Kaylan said.
"It's almost seven," Monet said candily.
"Okay hold on, let me finish drying my hair." Kaylan ran her hands through her hair. Slowly her hair began to dry." Just a little trick that I picked up on the road," she said smiling at M.
M, surprisingly, smiled back, "C'mon follow me."

They walked across the campus and into the Rec-cottage. When she they entered they were greeted with the other kids sprawled about the room doing their own things.
"C'mon in," Jubilee chirped while cracking her gum loudly.
Kaylan and M walked over to the counter where Emma and Sean were.
"I just thought that ye needed a day of, so we cancelled class for the rest of the students." Sean and Emma walked to the door, "Don't be messin' with the lassies lads," he called back winking. Emma pulled him through the door, closing it behind them.
"Great, lets get this party started, "Jubilee yelled bounding over to the stereo. She pressed the play button, and Hole blasted through the speakers.
"Oh make me over, you're all I wanna be, a walking study in demonology. Haaaaaay!! ..." Jubilee and Everett sang in tune with the music.
M and Kaylan sat at the counter, looking on in amusement as the two teens lip-synched to the music.
"I've never heard this one before, Kaylan said. Considering I've been locked up for the past 7 months"
"I don't care too much for this type of music, I'm the classical type of girl," Monet replied.
Kaylan was surprised at Monet's tone, so playful, Monet didn't strike her as playful. Uptight, yes, but never playful. " Oh I see," Kaylan said smiling.

Moments turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours, and hours turned into slices of eternity, and Kaylan saw herself in the arms of the young man that sat across the room from her. He wrapped his arms around her, and they sat perched atop a cliff, overlooking the ocean. The wind whipped sharply through her hair, and she reclined deeper into his embrace. By now she had her head resting on his chest, her hands holding his as they looked off into the ocean. The waves rocked and rolled in the endless sea, and she found herself sighing deeply. He brushed a stray bang away from her forehead, and bent down to kiss her on the cheek ...

"Kaylan? Kaylan?" M called out to her.
She shook her head clear of the thoughts that plagued her, "Yea I'm still here," Kaylan explained. She found herself still staring at the young man across the room, "Can I go get some air?" she asked, not really looking for an answer. She walked past the group, and out the door.
"What's up with her jubilee asked," as Kaylan stormed past her.

Kaylan sat down on the step out in front of the building. She sighed heavily and placed her face in her hands. Why can't I just be somewhere alone she asked herself. without HIM being there?
She sighed even deeper, Why did I think that being free would be so much better?
Her question went unanswered as she sat in the silence, nothing but the steady echo of her breathing to comfort her.
"Hey chica," came a voice from behind.
She didn't even have to turn around to know who it was, "Angelo ..." she spat.
He walked down the few steps and sat down next to her, "Chica what's wrong?" he asked.
"Don't play that crap with me Angelo," she said looking straight out at nothing. "You know what's wrong with me."
"No I don't," he said a slight edge in his voice.
"You don't do you?" She turned her head to him, a single drop in her eyes," I told myself that I'd never cry again, and I still believe that. I also told myself that I'd be happy when I was free, and I don' t plan on letting you screw that up ... AGAIN."
She stood up and shot him a heart breaking glance, then turned and walked off. The street lamp catching her body as she disapeared into the night.

Angelo looked after her, his eyes wide. Then his shoulders slumped, not even feeling like standing her just sat on the step, wondering just what Kay has been through the past year and a half. What could have made her this way? He thought

ThanX for reading my fanfic I'm really glad that U did. Send me any comments that you might have and I'll answer any question. THANX SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Generation X R © of Marvel Comics and R being used without permission. However Kaylan Foxfire Carter is MINE and U MAY NOT USE her in any fashion or form without asking me first. This is a non-profit page so don't sue me!!!!


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page