IN LOVING MEMORY written by K-Man



Disclaimer: All characters in this story belong to Marvel, and I just like to take them out and play with them. I am not making money from this, so don’t sue me.J

Story: The original Generation X gather for a very special reunion.

Send comments and criticisms to K-man@idmail.com

In Loving Memory

By K-Man


Jubilation Lee rode up to the front gates of the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters on her Harley. She had rode up to Snow Valley to attend the grand re-opening of the Massachusetts Academy on the same Harley she had gotten 8 years ago as a graduation present from Logan and Gambit.

The School here in Snow Valley had closed three years ago after the School was destroyed in a Sentinel attack. With the prevailing anti-mutant hysteria plus the death of Professor X it was decided not to re-build the school. Now, with funds from a most unexpected source – The Juggernaut – the school had been rebuilt and ready to receive new students. Before that however, there was to be a very special christening of the new school.

"So you just gonna sit there Lee, or you goin’ in?" came a very deep rumbling voice from behind her.

"Hello Juggy." Jubilee said without turning around. There was a time when that voice would have had Jubilee turning ready to attack. Since the death of Professor Xavier, Cain Marko has become one of the X-Men’s greatest allies. Apparently Cain Marko took his stepbrother’s death harder than anyone, especially himself, had expected.

"So whatcha waiting for Lee? A golden invitation?"

"Just taking a trip down memory lane I guess. How come you aren’t inside, Cain?"

"I needed a walk. Everyone was thanking me for getting the school going again. I guess I am still getting used to walking the right side of the law."

Jubilee chuckled. "Hanging with the X-Men isn’t exactly treading the "right side of law" I have at least 15 outstanding warrants on me, that I know of. But I know what you mean."

"Yeah, well you haven’t exactly been "hanging" with the X-Men for awhile yourself. You are still considered a member of the team, you know."

"I know. I guess I just needed some time by myself after…"

"Yeah, I know." Cain Marko said.

Jubilee smiled. "Well, shall we go in?"

"You go ahead. I have a friend I have to visit."

Seeing the far away look in Marko’s eyes, Jubilee understood. It was only a little ways away that Black Tom Cassidy lost his life to his cousin, Banshee. "I’ll see you later then or should I make your excuses for you, if you don’t feel like coming back?"

Marko grinned. "I always liked you Lee. But don’t worry, I’ll be back for the opening tomorrow. Tonight though is not for me." Marko said over his shoulder as his massive frame disappeared into the woods.

Looking back at the gates, she sighed, got back on the Harley and drove up to the front door. Standing outside the front door, leaning against the door jam was Angelo Espinosa AKA Skin.

"Hey Chica." He said taking a drag of his cigarette.

"Angelo!" She screamed jumping off her bike and giving Skin a big hug.

"I thought you weren’t going to make it. I was told you were still in Mardipoor with X-Force."

"I was, but things in Mardipoor got cleared up… sort of. Besides, Cannonball pretty well told me if he did not let me come see his sister he was not going to be able to go home again… ever."

"Damn right." Came a voice from the doorway.

"Paigester!"

"Boy, it has been along time since I have been called that."

"I don’t know about you two ladies, but I am starting to get a chill, and I have a lot more skin to keep warm."

"Yeah," Paige said, "Let’s go inside, there are still a few more familiar faces Jubilee hasn’t seen yet."

Walking into the new school, Jubilee was taken back by how much the "new" School looked exactly liked the old school. "They built it to look exactly like the old school."

"Pretty much. There are a few new additions. Come on, I’ll show you up to your room. I set you up in your old room. You can freshen up before the big do"

"I’ll see you two later, I’m going to find a drink." Skin said heading towards the kitchen.

Husk led Jubilee upstairs to her "old" room. Opening the door Jubilee got another shock. "My God Paige, It is exactly the same. You even found another Pikichu doll just like I had. How did you do this, why did you do all this?"

"I just thought it would be nice to give you an old fashion homecoming. Since no one has seen nor heard from you in two and half years."

"I kept in touch."

"You kept in touch with Wolverine. And he has not been very sociable for quite awhile. You know I had to go all the way to Canada to talk to him. After three weeks of traipsing through the woods of Alberta, I finally tracked him down in a little cabin in the middle of nowhere. It took another week of camping outside his cabin before he would invite me in."

"How did you get him to tell you where I was?"

"Four days of non-stop talking." Paige smiled slyly "A little trick I learned from on old school chum."

"I can’t believe you did that. What’s more I can’t believe Wolvie didn’t through you out on your ass."

"He did… Twice. Luckily I husked into something more solid before I hit the ground."

"I wish I had been there to see that."

"If you had I wouldn’t have had to dealt with Logan or eat his Venison gumbo. I swear the next time I see Gambit I am going smack him for teaching Logan his Gumbo recipe."

Jubilee smiled. "I knew Logan liked you. He doesn’t make his venison Gumbo for just anybody. Thank God. I remember the first time he made it for me. It was my seventeenth birthday. It took all my willpower not to gag. Although, Logan knew right from the start I didn’t like it. I never could pull a fast one on Wolvie."

"Few can. By the way he said I lasted a full ten seconds longer than you before grimacing. You miss him don’t you?"

"More than anything. But I just can’t be around him right now. I am surprised I am here. I almost didn’t come."

"Look, Jubs, I can’t say I know everything that’s going on with you, but I just want you to know that you always have a place here if you want it. Generation X and the X-Men are your family. We are here whenever you need us."

Jubilee turned away from Paige and wiped away a tear that was starting to form in the corner of her eye.

"Well, we better get back downstairs before Angelo drinks all the complimentary champagne." Paige said standing up and heading for the door. Besides there are a few others here you haven’t seen yet."

"Paige…"

"Yeah"

"Thanks."

"Well, will wonders never cease? Jubilation Lee actually thanked somebody."

Laughing, Jubilee said, "When did you go and develop a sense of humor."

"I’ve always had a sense of humor, it was just to intellectual for you to comprehend."

"Oh god, now you sound like Monet."

"She certainly does not sound anything like me, Jubilation."

"Hello, Monet. It’s been a long time."

"Four years."

"Like I said long time."

"I see you are as eloquent as ever."

"And I see you are as arrogant as ever."

"Would you two stop it and hug already."

"I do not hug, Paige." She walked over to Jubilee and gave her a kiss on each cheek. "I kiss cheeks, it is more European." She said smiling.

Jubilee looked up at the dark skinned beauty that had been her nemesis, rival and friend all rolled into one. "I think I missed you most of all, Scarecrow." Jubilee said doing her best Judy Garland impression.

"Oh Lord, Let’s get downstairs before this turns ugly." Paige said.

All three went down the stairs and entered the main room. Skin was beside the table drinking a beer, talking to a dark skinned young woman.

"So how are things in the New Excalibur, M?

"We are all quite well, thank you. Nicole and Claudia are members of the team. Although they will be leaving soon to become part of the new class here."

"Not if you keep letting Nicole talk to Skin. It looks like he is about to convince her to leave Excalibur for X-Force."

"Or for himself."

"Do not even joke about that, Paige."

"If you will excuse me, I have to see to some preparations." Paige said heading into the kitchen.

Jubilee and Monet went across to the couch and sat down.

"I thought there would be more people here."

"Well, tonight is just for the original class. Tomorrow is the big celebration.

"Original class. So far I have only seen the three of us."

"Jono will be along. He took a later flight than Nicole and I. Penance, Artie and Leech are around. I think they were checking out the new Biosphere.

Just then two tall young men walked in, one green the other pink.

"Jubilee!" Leech screamed running up to her and giving her a big hug. Artie made a holographic picture of Jubilee, as she was when she was young.

"Are you trying to say I look older, Artie?"

With that a holographic picture of the Virgin Mary popped over Artie’s head.

"Don’t try to play innocent with me. Now come here and give me a hug."

"So are you two going to be attending classes, when the school is re-opened?" Jubilee asked.

"Yes, both of us along with Franklin Richards. He couldn’t be here tonight. He has some official function with the Fantastic Four to attend to." Leech said as Artie projected a hologram of a very bored Franklin sitting beside his father, Reed Richards as he stood at a podium speaking in multi-syllable words.

"Your holo-projections are getting very detailed, Artie. I’m impressed." At that Artie projected a hologram of himself bowing."

"Your welcome."

"So are you going to spend all night with those two plonkers, or are you going to come over here and give me a hug." Came a telepathic "voice" from the doorway.

"Jono." Jubilee said getting off the couch and giving him a big bear hug. "Monet said you would be coming late."

"Better late then never."

"If I remember correctly, it was usually Angelo that was late for class, Lad. Don’t tell me ye have taken up his bad habits now." Came a deep Irish baritone voice that could only belong to one man.

"Sean. I didn’t know you were coming tonight."

"And miss this. Not on your life."

"And where is the new Mrs. Cassidy?"

"Ach, dinna let Emma hear you say that. She was very adamant ‘bout keeping her own name after we wed."

"That’s right Sean, dear. You know better than anyone, though I may be your wife, I am still my own woman." Emma said holding her and Sean’s new baby in her arms.

Sean and Emma’s flirtation finally blossomed into a full-fledged romance after the death of Moira MacTaggart. Before Moira succumbed to the Legacy Virus, she had some private words with Emma Frost. The two were far from friends, so it came as a big surprise that one of the last people she wanted to see, besides her daughter, Rahne, was the former White Queen. It was in her room on Muir Island, as Moira lay on her deathbed that she asked Emma to take care of Sean after she was gone. To love him like she knew Emma wanted to, to make him happy. It was one of the few times in Emma Frost’s life that she lost her composure and broke down and cried, promising the dying woman that she would do everything in her power to make Sean happy. From the look of love and adoration in Sean’s eyes as he looked at Emma and his new daughter, she succeeded. They named their baby daughter in honor of Moira.

"Emma, it is good to see you and this must be Moira."

"Jubilation Lee I would like you to meet Moira Frost-Cassidy. Would you like to hold her?"

"Could I?"

"Of course, you are one of the god-parents." Emma said laying the baby Moira in Jubilee’s arms.

Jubilee rocked the baby back and forth as Moira cooed. "Hello there, little Moira. I’m one of your three godmothers. I am sorry I couldn’t be there for your christening in person but I am sure Monet and Paige did their best without me. I promise I will make it up to you. Perhaps when you get old enough I will teach you the joys of how to shop."

"Oh Lord. There goes my bank balance dropping." Sean said laughing.

Moira started to fuss and cry in Jubilee’s arms.

"It looks like it is time for Moira’s feeding. Emma said taking her daughter into the kitchen so she could feed Moira in private.

"Well, Seanster, I would say little Moira has your lungs."

"Ach, that she does, lass. My sonic scream is nothing compared to a wee bairn’s cry for attention."

"And how is Emma getting used to the domestic life?"

"I know you may find this hard to believe, Jubilee, but she is turning out to be quite the homemaker. Between running Frost Enterprises, helping the Mutant Underground and taking care of Moira she has even learned to cook one or two things that actually taste half-decent."

"That I will never believe." Paige said coming into the room. "Well, it looks like everyone is here that should be here. Why don’t we all gather outside for the ceremony? Emma said she would join us there after she gets Moira settled for her nap.

The group followed Paige outside and across the manicured lawn of the school grounds to a building with a large white drop cloth covering the front of it. They stood gathered in front of the building. Penance was already there waiting for them. She approached each one and gave them a candle, while Emma came up and joined them.

"Thank you, Penny. It is good to see you again." Jubilee said. Penny smiled and nodded her head.

Paige climbed the steps and faced the gathering of friends.

"As you all are aware of, tomorrow will mark the official re-opening of Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters. Tonight however, is for us, the first teachers and students of the original class of Generation X. we have all moved on with our lives since those days. But each of us continues to work for Charles Xavier’s dream of mutant human peace in our own way. Whether it is with X-Force like Angelo, or the new Excalibur like Monet and Jono or working with the Mutant Underground as Sean and Emma continue to do, or in my case as the new Headmistress of this new school. We all remember where we came from and why we continue with the struggle. Tonight we are here to honor one who believed in the dream with all his heart. A man who has fallen in the pursuit in that dream."

Paige stopped speaking, trying to hold back the tears. "I’m sorry. I thought I could get through this without crying."

Jubilee mounted the stairs and put her arm around her friend. It’s ok Paige. He was my husband. I think I should finish what you started here."

Jubilee looked out at the faces of her friends. "Well, for the first time I am at a loss for words. So why don’t we just do this."

Pulling the cord, Jubilee unveiled the sign on the front of the building. "Friends, I give you the Everett Thomas Memorial Student Center."

Later, as the gathering broke up and headed back to the main house, jubilee stood alone looking up at the new building which bore her late husband’s name.

"Well, Ev, I hope you like your new building." Jubilee raised her hands in the air and for the first time since Everett Thomas died trying to save Professor X’s life, she used her mutant gifts and lit up the skies of Snow Valley with the most spectacular plasma fireworks display the likes of which had never been seen before or since.

The end.


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page