Some More so Than Others

or

3 Dates and a Movie

By: Kat & Amphitrite

 

The jeep swerved into the parking lot of the local mall at a dangerous speed. The bass beat was loud enough to scare off seagulls well before they could even see the car. The six teens piled out of the car, laughing, arguing, and in once case, bouncing around and chanting "popcorn, candy, mountain dew, popcorn, candy, mountain dew, popcorn..." Jubilee's trademark yellow trenchcoat swirled around, and the edges whacked Paige in the face.

"Ouch. Ya think ya could stop the spinning, Jubes? Keep that up and you're gonna puke before you eat all that ungodly candy." That horrifying thought calmed Jubilee down somewhat, at least relatively. By some miracle the entire ensemble composed of, Angelo, Everet, Jonothon, Jubilee, and the reluctant Monet and Paige made it into the lobby of the movie plex in the mall with out losing anyone to the temptation of the mall's various attractions, facing any major crisis involving any maniacal-malevolent-monster-mutants, or killing Jubilee who was still chanting, "popcorn, candy, mountain dew,...". Everything would've been going perfectly had they only been able to decide on a movie. The major roadblocks to making this otherwise simple decision were Monet and Paige who at first had been reluctant to see the new slasher flic but who now were all out refusing to see it in light of their discovery that the movie plex was playing the newest tear-jerking chic flic, "My Darling, My sweet, My funeral". A which every other person in the group rolled their eyes at; It wouldn't have been a problem for the girls to go to their movie and everyone else go to the other flic except that Paige wanted Jono to see it with her.

~Uh-uh no way! Sorry luv but some reason the emotional crappy dribble that spews from the screen durin' those flics makes me cross-eyed; Considerin that my eyes are the only intact feature I have left I'd like to keep them as functional as possible.~

Paige fluttered her big baby blues at him and winked in a suggestive manner saying,"But Jono, don' ya wanna spend some time with me? In a theater? A dark theater? With the lights out? An' me all emotional an' fragile an'..."She gave a little smile,"Ya' know, do stuff?"

In the background Jubilee made a rather loud and realistic retching sound. Angelo closed his eyes a pained expression on his face as he watched Jono's resolve delude to the consistence of putty in the face of Paige’s feminine assault. Again this arrangement would have presented little trouble, Angelo, Jubilee and Ev go to see the slasher flic; Monet goes to see the chick-flic, while Paige and Jono go to...snuggle in a manner counterproductive to the movie watching experience. Once again however a dilemma arose. Monet, not wanting to be alone and crying linked her arm in Everet's and placed a soft kiss on his cheek whispering an invitation for him to join her for the movie. "Carumba! The poor guy didn't even have time to fight back. Damn that's tragic."

"Yeah,'Jubilee agreed with Angelo,"It's always sad when one of your own goes down like that. Unless of course they surrender!" Jubilee said pointedly casting a rather dark glare at Jono, who simply shrugged his shoulders and leaned a little more on Paige’s shoulders.

"Well Jubicita I guess that's it's just you and me then." He smiled a conspirators smile at Jubillee who returned it instantly. After buying the aforementioned popcorn, candy, and Mountain Dew for her, Jubilee quickly led Angelo to the back row of the theater where the new slasher flic was playing. Their plan had worked; the headmasters thought they were all together at the same flic each chaperoning the other and the girls had been set up to believe that their was no romance playing which when they found out that there was they would drag Ev and Jono off to see it leaving the two of them alone for a private movie screening, without revealing their relationship yet. Teen minds can work in mysterious ways, and every now and then a plan actually does work.

Lights dimmed, and the previews came on. For what the public can tell, its a silent rule that previews can have nothing to do with the actual movie you're there to see, and are made strictly to annoy. No one really knows that they actually contain subconscious messages......oops, said too much. Anyways, the unlikely couple sat next to each other, making stupid jokes as the previews went off.

"'The Care bears in their new motion picture' why cant they just all die already? I mean, they've been around HOW long? Someone should just pull out their stuffing. I'll get you, you little pastel monsters!" Jubilee did her best wicked witch cackle, inspiring the people two rows in front of her to turn around and 'ssssssh' her. Angelo just laughed.

"Chica, what did the Care bears ever do to you?" When she just pouted. he armed his resolve not to go down in flames, especially after just watching his two amigos fail so horribly. He cleared his throat and tried again this time applying his masculine charm,"AAAHh i see they obviously hurt you very deeply; Well you just never mind the stupid bears," He said, placing his arm around her and pulling her close,"I swear to you if I ever see them I'll wrap my skin so tight around them that the stuffing pops out like an overheated jiffy popper!" Jubilee leaned her head against Angelo's shoulder confident in her femine ability to connive him into the whole protective 'Me Tarzan, You Jane' routine. Paige said it makes them more pliable to manipulation if they think their doing things for their own reasons, protecting you, their supposed property, instead of your reasons, getting the fringe benefits of couplehood, out of them, your territory. *Sucker...* they both thought simultaneously as the movie came on,*I can see this relationship is going to go better then I thought.* Again, in silent unison.

The movie's plot was the basic slice 'n dice type thing. Girl meets weird guy, girl falls for guy, oblivious to the fact that whenever he's around people die very messy deaths, with lots of expense towards the special effects department. It finally clicks in the chicks brain that her boy's the psycho when he goes after her with his weapon of choice, be it axe, saw, rope, poison, needle or Ginsu knife. Near the end, where the chick is almost hacked up into sushi-sized bits by aforementioned psychopath, Angelo stretched his skin out and pulled her to the direction he wasn't in. She screamed as loud as she could, letting loose a few neon 'pafs' before realizing it was just Ange and throwing the remains of the popcorn at his head. He ducked, and it rained down all over the seat next to him. The people in front of them 'sssshhhhhhed' her again. along with disdainful and startlingly Monet-like mutterings of "Teens. What can you do." Somehow they didn’t notice the pafs, or simply thought it was aftereffects of 4 boxes of peanut M&Ms.

The movies ended at relatively the same time and all the teens piled into the jeep to head back to the school. Angelo was driving as usual and Jubilee sat in the front seat next to him talking excitedly about the coolest, which were coincidentally the goriest parts of the movie. Paige and Jono were conspicuously silent in the very last bench seat of the jeep while Monet couldn't seem to stop herself from her perpetual b$%^&ing at poor sweet Everet for his 'inappropriate' laughter at the most tear-jerking moment of the movie. "I'm sorry I just happened to find that particular scene funny!" He said, defending himself against her arrogant pretensous battery of big meaning less strings of words that could have been narrowed down to two syllable words that Ev would've had a better chance of understanding. However she was not feeling considerate enough towards him to dumb down her lecture for him and continued with," Well Mr' Thomas i most certainly do not share your morbid sense of humor. I cannot believe I went to see that lovely film with such a crass, machosmic, uncouth, insensitive, uncultured, uncouth, sycophantic member of the ever-Mtv worshipping unholy covenant of the western world! " She finished with a huff and all while looking down her nose at the slouched Everet who was praying that 'please someone, anyone, just shut her up and save me!'. as it turned out his best friend Jubilee saw the pleading look on Ev's face and read his mind. "J'ya know M, ya just used 'uncouth' twice, how imperfect of you." She purred out slowly letting a grin seep across her face enjoying every moment of M's perturbed silence obviously deaming Jubilee's comment beneath her attention. She snorted an aristocratically snort and muttered in a voice just loud enough for Ev to hear,"There is nothing funny about a man's lover choking to death on the engagement ring he romantically hid in her Champaign glass." to which Ev responded,"HaHAHaHaHaHA!"and continued to laugh until M gave him a slighting glare at which he nobly tried to choke down the offending noise with only moderate success; the occasional snorting chortle escaping from his tightly clamped mouth.

The rest of the car, however, weren't so polite, howling with laughter, Paige the exception. But after a few minutes, her resolve cracked as well and she was giggling helplessly. By the time they got to the schoolgrounds, even M was having trouble hiding the smirk on her face, but that could have been because of Jubilee. After one of his infamous turns that sent gravel spraying in all directions, Angelo poked the end of his Zippo lighter into her arm. Jubes squealed, then glared at him suspiciously as he chuckled. *after all,* she reasoned, *the chick in the movie just thought her boyfriend was joking all the while too.......boyfriend?!?!?*

~Alright, guys, 'eres the deal. We need to set our story straight so that Emma an' Sean don’t find out what we were up to an' blow a fuse. Any input on what movie we actually went to go see?~Jono commented.

He looked around the car questioningly. If Emma had the initiative, of course, she would find out. The art to this was to be so unanimous that she had no reason to suspect anything, a hard task as she was more suspicious than Sculley and Mulder. Fortunately, they had become relatively adept at this and had reduced the 'art' down to a debate worthy science, and step-by-step procedure. Kinda.

"Seeing as the majority of us went to go see 'My darling, My sweet, My funeral', logically we should say that as a group, we attended that film." Monet, eternally as logical as Doctor Spock, was trying to salvage her dignity from the beginning of the car ride.

"Oh yeah, M. Like Frosty's gonna buy that. Think about it, brainiac. Would I EVER watch a mushy, lovey-dovey flick? Pshhhhh....yeah right. Not a chance." Jubilee rolled her eyes. "Hmm..okay well, ah got it!" Paige exclaimed, her accent slipping," how about we tell them that we couldn't decide on a movie an' so we went to see the one we liked so much last time!" it was fool-proof and perfect and 3/4 of the car wondered silently why they hadn't thought of it. "because ah'm the leader." Paige responded to everyone’s unphrased Question. They all turned to look at her, suspicion, confusion, and general looks of 'where did that come from?' were plain to see on everyone’s face. "What? don' tell me ya'all weren't thinkin' that! I just guessed I swear!" she exclaimed uncomfortably trying off the disconcerting stares.

"Oooookay," said Angelo, "I like Paige's plan. We all remember what the other movie was about?...Good. then get the h%^^ out of the car so I can park it!" The kids were so preoccupied with remembering the last movie they'd seen they didn't notice that Jubilee didn't get out. The car sped quickly away towards the garage and neither of them could be found for quite some time later.

Emma and Sean weren't phased at all by the story that the kids fed them and took it hook line and sinker; for which all of the kids were extremely relieved. Some more so than others.


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page