UNEXPECTED MEETING Part 6: Flip Your Wings and Fly Up High written by Jenni


Flip your Wings and Fly Up High (part 6 in the Songbird Saga) by Jenni Summary: Monet drags Marie to town to try to make her a little more elegant and classy for the upcoming X-people reunion. In short, Monet wants to make another M. Just a fun little short story. DISCLAIMER: Anything here that I don't own is property of Marvel comics, which pretty much means all I own is Songbird. _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ "That color is NOT me." I shake my head. Monet has another thing coming if she even THINKS about trying to get me into that dress. "It is a designer name. Everyone in Milan is wearing it. It would not kill you to look decent for just one event." Monet can not take the hint and is actually holding it up in front of me. I mean, its mustard yellow! I roll my eyes and stuck out my tongue to show my disapproval. She sighs and gives up, moving to another rack. "Well what about this?" She holds up one of those long Titanic dresses. "Well, its nice but right now its 1999! I wanna party and actually wear normal clothes." "This black one with the camisole is normal." She holds up another icky dress for me to view. "Monet, when you were in the Penance shell, did you lose all concept of fashion?" "Marie, this is designer wear. This is what they are wearing in Paris and Milan!" I roll my eyes and sigh. "We are in the U.S.A. though. When I'm in Paris I'll wear that, but now I want something a bit more cool. I've had it. We're going to the Rave." "That is a type of party Ms. Waite, not a store." Great, Monet's gettin annoyed with me, and since she can hold grudges, thats not a good thing. You think that a Ms. Know-it-all like her would know about a small store like that. "C'mon." So I drag her up to the third floor to a store with a brightly lit sign that simply says *The Rave*. Inside, I see all these incredible dresses that are just calling for me to buy them. Makes me wish I got more of an allowance. "What a *quaint* shop." Ha, Monet looks so funny when she's disgusted! Wish I could laugh, but I have to be the good friend... "Look at this long black silk dress! It has slits in the skirt on both sides! Monet, if you wore this, you'd look like Aaliyah did in the Somebody video!" "But, its not designer." "Hey, I won't tell if you won't. Besides, I bet Ev won't be able to even form coherent sentences if he sees you in this." Now I got her hooked, she'll def buy this now. She holds it up to herself and looks at the price. "That is a good selling point. Its just a shame that he's escorting Jubilee to this reunion." Ah, gossip time. This is why its good to be friends with someone who knows all. "So what exactly IS the deal with them. Are they or aren't they?" Monet places the dress on the hanger and hangs it on her arm. "Ms. Lee wants him. I wouldn't mind him..." She starts to get a little smirk. "Gaia wants him. And Everett? Well, Mr. Thomas doesn't know what he wants, but he does know that he doesn't want Ms. Lee." I scrunch my face up. Ah, the tragedies of not being with a team from when it first forms. "Gaia? Who's that?" Monet holds both her hands up and shakes her head. "Don't even get me started. Lets just say she was before you and was after Everett too." I shrug my shoulders and pull a transparent blue shirt w/ black tank top off the rack. "Good enough for me." "You aren't going to wear a shirt set and pants to this thing, are you?" Hmm, Monet horrified, haven't seen that side of her yet. "No, this is for New Year's Eve. I'm thinkin bout sneaking out to go club hoppin." I look at the size and decide to get it. "Oh, don't scare me like that. Hmm, this dress would be good for you, and its your size. Bet Espinosa would leave Paige for you if you wore this." "We," I snatch the gold dragon print dress that looks chinese from her hands. I nod upon finding the two slits in the side and smile. That'll make Bobby mad. His innocent cousin wearing a dress like this. I go on with my little speech. "Are just friends." She starts to lead the way to the registar. "Oh, so Mr. Starsmore will love you in that dress. And speaking of Mr. Starsmore..." I cut her off by talking to the clerk. "Hi, we're ready now." The tall 18 college guy smiles and starts totaling everything up. Luckily, Monet is so busy getting her card that she stops trying to pry. I mean, this isn't her business. I look at the guys nametag. Gotta avoid *The Question*. "Griff, thats an unsual name." He smiles and looks up at me. "Yeah, its short for Griffon. My Mom has this thing for ancient mythology. Good thing it rubbed off on me, or I'd hate this name." "Well, I think its cool. Do you go to college around here?" He's not bad, not bad at all. Maybe if it seems like he has half a brain I'll keep him. "Not right now, I need to save a little more money before I can start attending Harvard." Bingo. I've struck gold. "What about you?" "Well, right now my friend and I." I motion towards Monet, who is handing him her Visa. "We attend the Massachusetts Academy." Monet butts in. "Have you heard of it?" "Yeah, but level with me," He hands back her card and our bags. "I've heard about some strange things happening there from Dorian and Tracey. Any of it true? Is there any strange stuff happening up there?" I smile, time to test for a sense of humor. "Nope. Well, unless you count the strange sacrifices in the forest and that every 12th night of every 8th month all the dead and undead rise and gather there." HE ACTUALLY BELIEVES ME! Okay, if I weren't wearing the image inducer I could understand him believing me but I look normal right now. Nevermind, I could do better. "Um, well, thanks for shopping at the Rave." ~Tsk tsk. Flirting with that young man, what about Jonothon?~ She says, not even looking at me or breaking her stride. Fine, two can play this game. ~And what about Jonothon?~ ~Well aren't you two?~ ~No, I guess I wouldn't mind it, but he isn't ready for something like that right now. Maybe one day, but now we're just friends.~ ~Well, you two DID spend that day in Boston together.~ ~Monet, we're not.~ ~Sure sure~ ~Honestly....~ ....... (Fin)


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page