WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN written by Multi-Facets


Dedicated to my fursister Tigrr.

I try not to think about
What might have been,
'Cause that was then,
And we can't take it there no more.
We can't go back again,
There's no use giving in,
And there's no way to know
What might have been…

He came loping up to her, a red carnation clamped idiotically between his teeth. Skidding to a halt in front of her crouched form, he sat and offered it to her. He looked so silly, but the expression on his face was so tender and happy, she couldn't help but clap her hands in delight and accept the flower. Together they stood and walked through the Biosphere, watching the full pearly moon pattern the grass, the leaves and the river with silver and shadow. It's so beautiful, he said, but it wouldn't be so beautiful if you weren't here to share it with me.

She smiled and giggled silently, reaching down to stroke his cheek. Fur was sheared off and blood spilt, but it didn't matter: He healed too fast for it to hurt. Ah, it was truly a wonder to touch and be touched without worry for injury, and she knew he could look past her horrific appearance and see her soul. She loved him dearly for that, as much as he loved her.

They stayed together until the moon set. She watched as the transformation took him, leaving him half-human and naked in front of her. With a gentle, caring smile, he framed her face with his hands -didn't notice his skin being scraped open on her rough, hard skin- and kissed her. Slowly they embraced, lips pressed together, uncaring that his blood flowed so easily.

They stayed that way until sunrise, the daystar's rays rendering him completely human. Softly they broke the kiss, and he lovingly stroked her hair. "Until tonight, Lovely-Eyes," he whispered.

Until tonight, my fiercely gentle one, she mouthed.

With one last smile, he turned and vanished into the green, slinking back to his room to shower and dress and live the day with the rest of his friends, and she went to the river to bathe and relax, and dream….

"Penance?"

Penance jerked her eyes from the lake's waters, breaking the trance, and stared up at Jubilee. "Sorry, didn't mean to startle you," the pyrotechnic said, carefully patting the red mutant on a strap-wrapped shoulder. "I just wanted you to know Frost and Cassidy are having a meeting in the Danger Room. They sent me to get you."

Penance nodded and quietly followed the other girl, keeping to the shadows so she couldn't see her weep for what might have been.

No, we'll never know, What might have been….


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page