GIMMIE A BREAK written by Echo

Prologue:

Somewhere in the midwest a pickuptruck turned down a long dirt road and into the driveway of an old farmhouse. Both occupants were in no hurry to get out.
Jake Filler works at the local Pizza Hut on the other side of town. He's known the girl who sits next to him for only a month but feels that he's already in love. Unfortunately his passenger doesn't feel the same way.
"Thanks for this afternoon Jake, I had a great time."
"So did I Devi. Look maybe if you aren't doing anything later tonight we could go see a movie or go walk around the river?"
"Maybe, I'll see if I have to do anything around the house." Divine Parker had no intention of going on another date with Jake. He insisted on calling her Devi like it was his special privilage. Everyone else called her Divine.
"You know Devi, we've been dating for awhile and I still haven't met your parents or your sister. You told me you had a sister right?"
"Ummm, ya. Everyone's out of town otherwise, I'd introduce you to them."
"Oh.. um, OK"
A silence decended on the cab of the car until it was broken by the sound of a siren and a flashing red light from behind.
"Ok kiddies, step out of the truck with your hands above your head."
Both teenagers climbed out, wary of the authority figures.
"Is there a problem officer?"
"Yes, son. We are looking for a girl who goes by the name of Echo. We were hoping you might know her."
"No sir, I don't. How about you Devi?" One of the officers stepped from behind his door and looked leeringly at the girl.
"Devi, huh? There wouldn't be a last name to go with that pumpkin, would there?"
"It's Parker sir." She said sir with such a sarcastic sound it caused the other officer to stand up stiffly and slowly draw his gun. The second one just smiled and leaned against the hood of the car. He laughed as he pulled out his gun and aimed it at her.
"I think we have our answer. Devine Parkers a nice name Echo. Were'd you think of it?" He sent a laugh towards his partner. "Nope Buddy didn't even suspect a girl that young could be the one were looking for. Why don't you just walk on over hear and we can discuss the matter."
"Fat chance!" In a move faster than he could anticipate Echo grabed the pocket knife from her pocket and threw it with all her might at the officer. It went directly into his chest. She was then on him and grabbed his gun almost at the exact instance Buddy fired. His aim was bad and it missed her shoulder by at least an foot, embeding itself in the truck. She was able to get her shot off with much better aim. Jake stood rooted to his spot staring at her in horror.
"Oh my God! Devi, you just killed two cops!"
"They weren't cops genius and my names Archer." She retrieved her knife and grabbed their guns from them. "They probably stole the car."
"Wait a minute Devine, what just happened?" He looked at her causiously afraid of what he might see.
"You didn't see anything." She pulled out one of the guns and pointed it at him for influence. "You dropped me off here and then went home, got it?"
"Ya, Devi, I got it."
As he drove away Archer surveyed her handiwork then she remembered that there was still a bullet in Jakes truck. It took him half an hour to get home, his dad would see the hole before he pulled in the drive. She had about an hour before the real cops showed up at her doorstep to ask questions.
She walked into the house and began packing quickly leaving finger prints on everything. She threw one of the guns outside, at least with her prints on everything Jake wouldn't get in trouble. She grabbed her suit case when a loud clapping caught her attention. She pulled out her gun and pointed it at the intruder.
"Who in the hell are you?"
He stepped into the light. "Now Archer is that anyway to treat an old friend?"
You? What do you want?"
"I have a business propisition for you."
"Sorry, I got out of that for awhile, I have to heal after my little accident in Russia." She slapped her knee for emphasis, never wavering her aim with the gun.
"Oh, but I think you'll like this job. I'll pay you 10 million dollars for a simple assasination."
"That's were you lose me. I don't kill big wigs, only hired lacky's, like your two goons out there."
"Buddy and Rex? Too bad, they were my cheapest mercenaries. But I still want you for the job."
"Tough luck. Call the Hellhouse. There's plenty of Merc's that'll kill there own grandma's for half what your paying."
"Oh but this requires your special talents."
"What do you mean?"
"What's the saying, it takes a mutant to kill a mutant."
She lowered her gun. "Ok, who's the target?"
"I want you to kill SEAN CASSIDY!"
End Prologue.

It wasn't the music that woke him. Angelo Espinoso could sleep through an atom bomb if he put his mind to it, so what had woken him. Then he heard it again.
Bang! Bang! "Yo, Angelo are you up yet?"
"No, now go away!" He pulled the covers over his head ignoring the creek his door made as it slowly opened.
Everett Thomas peered in at his teamates sleeping form. "Hey Angelo are you OK?"
"No, I've only had ten hours of sleep, I need at least 5 more." He turned his back to the door and tightened the bed sheets around him.
"Sorry pal, no way." Everett grabbed what covers he could and pulled them off the bed. Unfortunately Angelo had become tangled in them and followed his sheets to the floor.
"Oh, sorry dude." Everett tried to hide his smile as he helped his teamate up. "C'mon muchacho, Sean want' a meeting at 0900 in the kitchen. You've got 10 minutes."
"Oh great. Wait, don't tell me, Emplate want's to challenge us to a soccer game. He's french isn't he? Maybe he thinks he has a chance."
"No such luck. I think Senior Cassidy want's to discuss some things about the future of out school."
"OH," Angelo was 1/2 in a pair of pants when he looked up at his teamate. "What's up with the Spanish?"
"What Spanish?"
"Ev, when you say muchacho or senior it sounds very forced. Any Spanish you speak sounds forced."
"Oh...even chica?"
Yikes! Especially chica." He grinned at Ev and pulled his shirt over his head. "C'mon, we wouldn't want to keep 'Senior Cassidy' waiting would you?"
"No we wouldn't want that." Angelo slapped Ev on the back in agreement.
"Hey Angelo, do I really stink at Spanish?"
"Ya man, sorry, your really bad."
"Ok, maybe I'll try Dutch."
"Good idea."
They passed Jubilee in the hall. "Yo, Guthrie! Let's hurry up in there!"
"Good morning mon chere."
"Ummm Ev, that was French."
"I know Ang, but I don't know any Dutch."
Paige burst out of the bathroom dressed in jeans and a T-dhirt with a towel around her head.
"Hey guy's what's up?"
"Oh, Everett is trying to learn a new language."
Both girls looked at him with surprise and curiosity.
"Really? Which one?"
"Well I hadn't really dec-"
"Dutch. He's taking Dutch."
"Cool!"
"Why not Chinese?"
"I'm not sure that's what I am going to take it was just an idea. I thought-"
"A shrill whistle was heard at the bottom of the stairs. The foursome peered down at their teacher.
"Are ye all goin' to be standin' there all day or are ye goin' to join us for the meetin."
Jubilee chose to answer for the group. "On our way Cassidy!"
Sean was mumbling as he walked towards the kitchen. "Would it kill her to add a mister to the front of my name." At least some of the students had some respect for him he thought. He was still thinking this as he walked into a scene of chaos in the kitchen.
Monet was sitting quietly at the table reading the latest issue of Seventeen, ignoring the race circiling the table. Artie and Leech were running around in a circle squeeling and screeching, or in Arties case throwing his hands in the air. Behind them ran Chamber trying to get ahold of whatever it was they were passing between them. Penance was on top of the refrigerator staring in silence at the circus below. Blink was sitting on top of the counter laughing. But Emma was the loudest person in the room. She was screaming at the top of her lungs as she tried to wipe off the chocalate syrup that was decorating her face and hair.
Seeing Sean gave her a larger object to focus her rage on the the two running children. "What are you staring at! Get the syrup from the children!"
At that instant Jono was able to grab Artie giving Sean only one Assailant to try and catch. "C'mere lad, it isn't funny anymore!"
"Oh, my hair...when was it EVER funny, Sean!"
"Ms. Frost? I think this will get your hair kind of clean." Blink handed Emma another towel from a drawer.
"Oh, thank you. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier."
"Probably because you were worried about your hair."
"Oh, my HAIR!" Emma began wailing again even louder.
At that moment Sean slipped on a puddle of the chocalate and went slidding into the table bringing an unaware Jono with him.
The scene that greeted Jubilee, Everett, Angelo, and Paige a few seconds later sent their hands up to cover their smiles.
Sean, Jono, and Monet were in a pile under the table while Emma stood next to the sink washing her hair.
"Ummm, hi guys. Are we late for the-uh-meeting?"
"No lass, your right on time." Sean untangled himself from the pile and helped his students up. He then set the table and a chair right sid up, poured himself a cup of coffee and ignored the glare he got from the dripping headmistress.

The meeting actually was postponed for 20 minutes while Emma went to clean up and while Sean lectured Artie and Leech on the proper way to squeeze a bottle.
"Alright let's get this meetin started!"
"Yes Mr. Cassidy, why did you get us out of our beds at the crack of dawn?"
"Angelo, nine o'clock is not dawn."
"Maybe not for you Paige, but it is for me. Especially on a saturday."
"Can ye all not be quite for two minutes?"
"Sorry Mr. Cassidy."
"Ok," Sean surveyed his students before springing the surprise on them. "Now that Monet and Penance have returned from Monoco I thought we could all go on a small trip. So tomorrow I thought we'd drive up to Boston!"
Instead of the cheers he expected, all Sean saw were vacant looks.
"Boston?"
"Sean you can't be serious? Take the children to Boston?"
"Oh, come on, no way."
Jubilee pushed her chair away from the table. "There is no way I'm going to Boston. Remember the last time we were there? This dweeb called EMPLATE captured us? Am I the only one who remembers that?"
"No, no Jubilee, please sit down. The only other place isn't a day trip. We'd be gone for a few days at the least."
Emma looked at him curiously. "Where are you thinking of going Sean?"
"I thought perhaps the Xavier Institute For Higher Learning!"
"Xaviers? Now that's an idea!"
"Really!" Paige squeeled. "We can go see the X-Men?!" She was jumping up and down with excitement.
"Yo, haysee, have a seat." Jubilee stood the chair up that Paige had knocked over in her excitement.
"Sorry."
"Do I take it you like the idea?"
"I guess it could be fun Cassidy. Are you sure it's OK to visit?"
"Yes, it is. Bastion stole everything from them. Emma is contemplating helping them out financialy."
"Temporarily."
"Of course Emma. We also wanted to talk about Emma and Jono's powers over with Storm and Wolverine. Tell them about Clarice. I assume everyone agree's with this plan?"
Considering no one argued with him, he nodded his head and smiled. "Then coonsider the rest of the day yours. We'll leave tomorrow at 8 am, so set your alarms and be packed. We'll probably stay at the most a week. We won't be shopping so bring enough clothes."
The students trickled out of the kitchen while Sean turned to have a private word with Emma. "I suppose I'll give Storm a call."
"Sean," she looked up from her coffee cup with a grim look on her face, "There's no guarantee they'll take the money. Even if they did it could be conspicuous. What if another Bastion connects our schools with mutant activities? It'll bring both schools down."
"Emma, anyone who saw the names of both the schools and didn't figure out the connection between each other is so stupid we won't have to worry about them!"


Generation X and all other comic book characters featured on this page are (C) & TM MARVEL COMICS. This is a non profit page and I hope it does respect to these characters in the way that Marvel wrote them. This is my own story. Please don't steal it. Thanks!


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page