A MERRY MUTANT ROAD TRIP Part 2 written by Cyclone


Angelo turned to see the gun go off. He saw a flash of red, yellow, and white before he hit the ground, the sound exploding in his ears. A pain in his side made him gasp and open his eyes. He found himself staring at Cyclone's back. Her yellow and red uniform covered her to her waist, where her jeans started. She must have shifted into it when the battle started. Her white streaks in her hair wiped about her and her eyes glowed a peculiar golden. The man with the gun fired again, the bullets bouncing off her chest. Her near invulnerable hide protected her from the projectiles, serving only to make her more angry. She did not like guns in the least. Angelo watched with a certain morbid fascination as the young mutant lifted the truck driver off his feet. The hand she had on his neck began to tighten. "You just can't leave mutants alone can you? You have to attack us and make our lives miserable. All of you Friends of Humanity are the same. Just like my FATHER!." The man made a bubbling noise deep in his throat. Skin jumped up and laid a hand on Nicky's shoulder, trying to calm her down before she killed the man. She turned, her eyes glowing eerily. The light softened at his familiar face and she put the man down, who began to gasp for air. A solitary tear ran down her cheek and Angelo held her until she regained her composure. They walked back to the van, where the others were. The truck drivers took off as fast as their feet could carry them, dragging their friends along. Maybe they would think twice before messing with mutants again.

*******

No one said too much for awhile. When the light began to fade they stopped at a national forest for the night. They got the tents out and built a fire. They mood had lightened considerably and Jubilee and resumed her endless sugar consumption and mindless talk. They told stupid ghost stories and Everett sneaked up behind Jubilee and scared the crap out of her. They even played a game of truth or dare.

"Okay, Jubes. Truth or Dare."

"Dare, for sure" Paige thought hard. Jubilee was hard to think of a dare for. She was pretty brave and reckless. She leaned over and whispered to Monet for a second. Monet nodded.

"Jubilee, I dare you to go skinny-dipping in the lake." Jubilee's complexion paled. 'Damn, she thought. I can't back down. But that...?' " Fine, I'll do it. Everybody turned their backs. A couple of minutes passed when they heard a splash. They tuned to see Jubilee from the shoulders up standing in the lake. "Satisfied?"

Angelo wrestled with his conscience. Should he? His conscience lost. He snatched her clothes from the side of the lake and walked back to the fire. The other members of Generation X fought down giggles and fits of laughter as Jubilee turned pink, red, bright scarlet, and finally purple as she threw streams of foul words at Skin. He finally let her have her clothes back. And the game went on. It was Jubilee's turn to ask the dreaded question. Who will face the wrath of Jubilation Lee? Paige, Monet or...?

"Angelo! Truth or dare?" Angelo wasn't stupid. Dare meant death. And what could Jubilee ask that she could hold against him if he chose truth?

"Truth." Jubilee pondered her question's direction. Well, If she couldn't take his life, perhaps she could take his pride. An evil smile passed her pixie-like features.

"Ya know, Angelo, I always wondered if you had a crush on anyone. Anyone at the Academy, perhaps?"

Angelo's features remained the same. Inside, he was not so calm. That horrible little imp! She knew exactly who he liked! He told her last week. Bad mistake. And with two telepaths in tow, he couldn't lie. They would know. He looked at Jubilee straight-faced and without fear.

"Yes, Jubilee. I do have a care for someone here." He stood up and walked to the edge of the woods. "Cyclone." The name was whispered so quietly so the others couldn't hear. Only the two telepaths heard.

*******

Skin walked to the edge of the lake about half a mile down from the camp. He didn't worry about being lost. Maybe he didn't care. He looked down at his reflection on the water's surface. He saw his gray skin and his strange eyes and sighed. "You might as well give it up, Espinosa.

No one would ever fall for such an worthless ugly vato as you." He closed his eyes. When he opened them again, he saw a second reflection in the water. One with white streaks down her honey colored hair.

"I don't think you're ugly at all. Or worthless for that matter."

Angelo looked up for a second and back down again. Nicky sat on the bank next to him. "And to tell you the truth, I'm flattered that you think of me that way." She made sure she had his attention. "I mean, I know we were friends, we'd do stuff together. But I guess I always had a small crush on you. And it grew over time. I started to notice you'd accidentally project a signal here and there. Not too many though really, mostly just feelings. And I, well, I feel the same way." She met his eyes.

Angelo's heart seemed to stop for a second. He studied her eyes for a hint that she was joking. All he saw was sincerity in those gold-flecked brown eyes. He smiled. She smiled back.

*******

"Okay, Ev. I dare you to declare your undying love to Jono. While wearing this." Jubilee pulled out her bag and produced a furry pink jacket. She looked at Everett. He didn't seem to be listening. Neither did Jono.

"You know, Lee, I'm going to quit this game and go to the tent." He turned to his friend. "You coming, Jono?" They went into the boy's tent. "I can't believe she would do that to Angelo. I know she knew something. She just had that look in her eyes." Jonothan nodded. The girls were just too malicious tonight.

Outside, there was the sound of people moving through the trees. Then a girl's giggle. A moment later, Angelo and Nicky appeared breathless with laughter. Jubilee's eyes traveled to their arms, to where their hands were held together. Nicky waved to her friends and walked to the girl's tent. She gave skin a quick kiss and ducked out of view. Angelo smiled at Jubilee and went into his tent.

~Maybe we should go find him?~

"No need, Amigos. The man is here." The other two boys looked confused at their friend's cheerful voice and happy face. Angelo began to tell the story. 'Well, Jubecita. How's that one for ya?'


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page