Changes

Generation X is property of Marvel Comics. The character Richard Cale is named after family relations. Any other reference to anything copyrighted is a chance happening.

====================================================

The phone was ringing. Sean Cassidy, headmaster of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters, ran into his office and answered it. "Hello, Sean Cassidy speaking." A young man's voice on the other end spoke, "Hello, Mr. Cassidy. Am I correct in assuming that I have reached the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters?"
"Aye, that is correct. May I ask why?"
"Mr. Cassidy, l'm a mutant wondering about enrolling in the school."
"How do you know that you are a mutant, lad?"
"Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard about mutants that can mimic powers."
"Aye, we have one like that here."
"I take it to the extreme. I can mimic abilities, as well as personalities."
"Are you saying that you can mimic a mutant yur near."
"In simple terms, yes. Change is inevitable, doubly so for me. I have a relative that has the mutant ability to project future events. After some time with them, I mimicked that ability and their personality. It was a very strange experence. Although, the reason I called was because of the Onslaught ordeal."
"I see, but how did you avoid detection of Sentinels and other devices specfied for detecting mutants?"
"When ever my ability is neutral, I can avoid detection. One time, I stood about ten feet from a Sentinel and it just avoided me."
"Well, but are you afraid of yur ability? That is usually the reason some of me students have joined."
"Fact. My mutant ability causes me to mimic personalities, as I mentioned before. I'm afraid that I may lose my personality in the process. And in some cases, I almost do. Sir, I hate to cut this short, but I must get ready. My plane leaves in a while and it is quite a drive to get to the airport."
"Okay, lad. I shall pick you up at the airport, with a couple of my students."
"NO! I'm sorry sir, but I would be grateful if you wait for me, alone. I want the students to meet the real me first. I should be easy to identify, all in black, about 21, but could you describe yourself so I can find you with little trouble."
"Okay, I have orangish hair, a slight goatee and I'll be wearing a Celtics jacket." "Alrighty then. I shall arrive at Logan Airport, on flight 341 from Newark. See you in a couple of hours."
He hung up. He didn't even say his name. He decided to call Scott and find out if the X- Men had contacted him or not.

********************************************

Sean ran over to Emma's quarters as if there was no time left in the world. But the call he had received had struck him as odd. As he arrived, Emma opened the door and said, "Something wrong?" with a sly smile on her face. He couldn't tell if she had read his mind or not. Of course, if she did, he didn't have to remind her that she would regret it. He had already told 'er once back when Penance had arrived.
"Nae, just more of a shock. I just recieved a call from a lad, 'bout Jono's age. He said that he is a mutant and wishes to join the school."
"This surprises you, Sean. Maybe the X-men contacted him."
"Nae, when I asked Scott about the lad, he said that for some reason, the lad could nae be detected by Cerebro. It was as he was nae a mutant, yet he was."
"That is indeed strange. Did you agree to let this boy enroll?"
"Emma, if he is a mutant, he is free to enroll. Tis odd tho, how he seems to dodge mutant detection devices. He even said that he stood about 10 feet from a Sentinel and wasn't even threatened by it."
"That is odd. But, how does he know he is a mutant?"
"He said, and I quote, 'Change is ineviable, doubly so for me.' Afterword, he told me about a mutant in his family. This mutant had the ability to project images of the future. He said that after a short time with them, he mimicked their ability, as well as his relative's personality."
"You mean to say that this boy may be able to mimic other mutants."
"Aye, and he said that he wants to help people, instead of letting his ability harm people, or other mutants."
"And if Apocolypse or even worse, Emplate, finds out about this mutant, everyone could suffer. How soon will he get here?"
"He said he would arrive at the airport in 10 hours. We should tell the students."
"Yes, especially if his ability is what we believe it is. I will contact them telepathically."
Sean turned and ran for the assembly hall. He hoped that everybody would welcome the new mutant with open arms. But, the lad said he would try to avoid close proximaty to the others for a while at least.

"Great, why is it just as we get settled into a routine, something happens." She understood most what change meant. She rembered that change lost her her best bud, Wolverine. She knew enough about change. It was change that was affecting the world, since Onslaught. She even remember the change that brought her to the X-Men. Change affected everything in life, and you can't just shove it in a corner and think that nothing is happening.
"Jubilee, please stop acting so juvinile," Monet had said to her. Jubilee turned to Monet. She had been starting to get along with her since Ms. Frost tried to protect the them from Onslaught. But, Monet didn't understand how much change affected everything. "Listen, Monet, when I was with the X-Men..." {Enough of the surmon, Jubilee} Jono said. He had gotten used to hating that as much as everyone else. About the only one who didn't say anything about it was Penance, and that was only because she didn't talk.
"Okay, I get the picture. I won't go into one of those stories. I mean, it not like it's my life."
"Jubilee, you shouldn't lie like that," Everett said. Since the two had gotten closer in the past weeks, it was hard to lie in front of him.
Sean and Emma walked in and Sean tuned to Emma. "Aye, everybody is here except for Penance."
"I couldn't contact her. Jubilee, do you think you could tell Penance about this when we get finished. You two are almost like sisters."
"No problem, Emma. By the way, what is this all about?"
"Yes, what's going on?" Angelo asked, relaxing in a chair. The headphones to his walkman was resting around his neck. It was obvious that he didn't want another of Sean's sonic screams.
"Alright, I recieved a call today. A lad said that he would like to join the school," Sean said.
"I take it that this boy is a mutant like us," said the calm voice of Mondo. Mondo had to have been the most laid back mutant she had ever met. She remembered that he said that life just happens.
"Aye, that he is. But, his ability is very unusual. From what we can figure, 'e might have the ability to mimic any mutant, ability and personality."
"Like, that would be so happening. I mean he could hang with me and Synch and have a triple firework show."
Monet then said, "He wants to enroll so that his ability doesn't threaten people." "That and he fears his ability, and he could be more dangerous if yur brother ever finds out about 'im."
Monet's eyes went wide at that. Jubilee understood what that could mean. A second Emplate would be twice the trouble that Monet's brother already was. "Let's hope we can get him here without Emplate finding out," she finally said.
"Exactly. I will pick him up at the airport in a while. He asked that we keep a distance for a while. His mutant ability makes him vulnerable to mutants. He wants to let you meet the real him before he joins us. He doesn't want us to get to close, since that is what triggers his ability. And no tricks, Angelo and Everett."
"Who, us?" the two said in unison. "We are perfect angels."
"The tail and pitchforks give you away, guys," Paige said. She had been on the receiving end of a couple of their jokes. Jubilee could remember many times where they had cut off the hot water in the showers. Paige's shreiks were easy to notice, even when they woke her up in the morning.
"Alright, but don't forget, he can mimic both yur abilities and personalities." The two looked at each other and realized that he could make them the victims of their own jokes. Jubilee couldn't help but laugh.
"Does that include memories as well?" Paige asked. She was abit worried about something. Jubilee wondered if it was that romance between her and Jono. Jubilee suspected that the two might be and item, but they were acting strangely for a while.
"We aren't sure about that, lass. As far as we know, it might, and it might not."
"Great, he might mimic Monet and space out until his ability wears out," Jubilee blurted out.
"That's enough, lass. We hope that might not be an extreme to his ability. We each have our flaws. If he can also mimic those flaws, he might lose his identity all together." Losing one's identity sound just like the Phalanx. He could virtually be a mutant Phalanx, but the likelyhood of that was extreme. Jubilee still remembered the Phalanx and how dangerous they had been. They had tried to kidnap all of the Gen X students at the time. It cost the life of Clarice as she destroyed the one Phalanx, that had kidnapped Paige, Angelo, Monet, and Clarice. Sean then said, "Kids, I just want ye to help him settle in. I want each of ye to pick a job to do. He needs to get familiar with grounds. Also, keep yur distance for the first day or two. He wants us to get to know him before we see his power in full force."
With that, Sean dismissed everybody. She looked at everybody. They were already picking out jobs. All of sudden, Jono startled her by saying {Do you want me to tell Penance about the boy?}
"No, Jono. I think I can handle it. The trick is finding her. She acts as she's afraid to stay still, and if I don't find her before this new guy arrives, she will find him." {How do you figure that?}
"I think that after being held captive by Emplate, she's going to check out any one who arrives.
{In case 'e might be a bloody danger?}
"Like, duh. She is still on her guard. It took us a couple months before she would let anyone of us get near her." She then remembered that Jono was the only one who could stop her rampage on the night she was left here. "I'm sorry, Jono. I forgot your part in all that." {It's okay. People usually remember action, not talk.} "What are you going to do when he arrives?" {I've decided to show him the med center, just in case he mimics me} Jubilee thought about that for a moment. Then she relized that Jono ment the large hole in him that his psyonic powers created. "I see. Who's going to show him the Grotto."
{Paige got that duty.} There was a small pain of sadness in his voice, at the mention of Paige, but she decided not to pry.
"I better go hunt down Penny. She's gotta know about this before he arrives." She ran at full bolt to the only place she knew to look for Penance, the 'Danger Grotto'.

********************************************************************

It had taken a while to talk to the class, and a good amount of time then to prepare a single room for the new lad. Sean had arrived at the airport with plenty of time. He noticed that a limo had arrived in the area. Probably somebody important was going to be picked up. He was just here to pick up the newest student at the school.
"Attention, Flight 341 from Newark is arriving at gate 12." That was the lad's flight. He headed for the gate area and waited. The lad asked him to describe himself so he could identify Sean when he arrived.
He watched the people arriving. He eventially saw a lad, about 21, dressed all in black, exiting the gate. The lad looked at him and nodded and started in his direction. This lad was apparently the new student.

He walked off the plane and through the gate and looked around. He then saw the man, slight gottee, orangish hair, and a celtics jackets. He headed for the man. That must have been Sean Cassidy, head of Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. He wondered what Cassidy's abilities were? It would be interesting to find out. He went to shift the weight of his carry-on bag when he glanced at his hand. A hole was starting to form on his hand. There must be another mutant in the area. He must be passing near this mutant. For some reason, he didn't like this. He broke into a fast paced walk. The hole quickly disappeared. As he approached Mr. Cassidy, he said, "Sir, as much I would like to spend some time chatting with you here, I would think it best that we hit the road."
Mr. Cassidy looked and said, "What about yur luggage, lad?"
"All in hand. Now, let's get the lead out. Something is screwy in St. Louis."
"What's wrong, lad?" Mr. Cassidy asked keeping about 10 feet from him.
"I'll tell you when it's safe. I have a feeling that something is waiting for me there."
The two rushed for Mr. Cassidy's car and got in. They left the airport almost at breakneck speed. He had forgotten about his usual precausions and sat up front. This was when Mr. Cassidy said, "Now, lad could ye tell me what that twas 'bout?"
He turned to Mr. Cassidy and said, "Twas about me mutant ability kicking in. I think there was another mutant there, with ill intent."
Mr. Cassidy had a shock on his face and said, "I take it yur ability has kicked in on me."
"Aye, it has. If ye need proof, find a clearing and I'll show ye."
It was just a little while until they found a clearing. He got out of the car and walked to a distance and said, "Mr. Cassidy, I take that ye' power deals with sonic screams."
"Aye, it does." With that, Rich opened his mouth and screamed at such a pitch that he started to elevate in the air. "So thats what you mean by mimicing other mutants," said Mr. Casiddy.
"Aye. But it does have a constraint to it. I have figured that the time I'm with a mutant, I hold there ability for the time I am with them, plus half of that time when out of proximity."
"Amazing, so you are able to mimic any mutant ability for as long as you want."
"Mr. Cassidy, after communicating with another mutant, I found out that if I am in proximity of a mutant for more than 112 hours, I will keep those abilities forever." It was just then when Mr. Cassidy's ability left him and he dropped. Since he wasn't to far up, he landed with no injury.
"So, that's why ye want to avoid contact, or closeness."
"Yes. It's even more dangerous if I don't make the first step. I don't hold control and there is a personality struggle. In those forced altercations, I usually just get a brief headache, but the more trauma or pain that a mutant had suffered, I suffer and might lose in the battle."
Mr. Cassidy headed back to his car and opened the back car door. "So, ye want to be careful the first couple of days. But what about at the airport, what was that about?"
He got into the car and said, "A brief worry. I hope that I don't run into that again, but I feel that will change."
"By the way lad, what is ye name? Ye didnae tell me over the phone."
"Rich Cale. My relatives came from England."
"Well, I hope you enjoy excitement. Ye will probably see alot of it at the school."
"Zalright. I just hope that time gives me some rest." He had a feeling about that other presence. He thought he dodged it fast enough, but it would return. His luck had been going good for too long. It was soon time for the bad luck to start. He just hoped that it wouldn't hurt any of the new friend he was going to make here.

Jubilee was waiting for Sean to get back with the new student. She wasn't exactly thrilled with what she had to tell Sean. After all that time of searching, she still couldn't find Penny. She had to admit that when Penny wanted to, Penny disappeared from sight all together. She saw Sean's jeep coming to a stop in the driveway. She watched as Sean got out of the driver's side and from the back, appeared a guy, about Jono's age. He wore glasses and the first thought in her mind was "Nerd." He was dressed all in black and carried a black carry-on bag, and a black backpack.
He looked around at the school. "Haven't seen anything like it since the midnight movie."
Whoa. Midnight movie. Did this guy mean her favortite movie in the entire world? Could he be a fan of the movie? This could change everything. She immedately forgot the problem about Penance and shouted, "Do you mean 'Rocky Horror'?"
Sean looked at the lad, "I guess you should be introduced. This is Jubilation Lee. I guess you hit a key point with the lass. Is yur ability kicking in on her?"
The guy shook his head and turned to her. He extended a hand and said, "Hi, I'm Brad Majors." She started to respond, but turned it into a laugh. He looked at her and said, "I always knew how to make people laugh."
It took her a while to calm down. Afterwhile, she said to Sean, "Sir, can I talk to you for a moment."
Sean walked over to her and said, "What tis it, lass?"
"It's about Penance. I wasn't able to find her. She must be in the shadows somewhere."
"If she was nearby, lass, Rich would have known it."
"Is that his name, Rich?"
"Aye, lass. And his mutant ability is exactly what we figured it would be. But, it might be more so. If he holds an ability for about a week's time, he keeps that ability, and personality. Fact being, he mimicked me and even copied my speech pattern."
"I hope that he doesn't physically change. That would be totally awkward." She thought about it for a moment, and mentally chuckled. It would have been a funny sight as well.
"I don't think that is a problem, but something worried him at the airport. 'E said that there was a mutant in the area. He had us get out of there in a hurry, but he seem to forget his safeguards, so it must have worried him."
"That ain't good."
"Aye, who is going to show him the computer."
"Monet. Why?"
"I'll ask her to make him familiar with the files we have on our enemies. This way, he knows who to avoid."
"Well, shall I take him to his room?"
"Did you get that duty?"
"I requested it. I do have some questions for him."
"Alright, lass." He turned to Rich and said, "Jubilee is going to show you to ye room. We will have a meeting to introduce ye in a little bit."
He gave a salute of sorts and said, "Okay, boss." He seemed to be a perpetual source of one-liners.
"This way to the lovely acomidations of stately Xavier Manor. I hope you like action, you might see alot." She turned and started walking to the guy's dorm. She turned her head an noticed that he was about five feet behind her. "What's with the distance?"
"Simple, my mutant ability. It is distance activated. If I get any closer, I will start mimicking you. Hell, I could know some private stuff about you. Your deepest fears, your deepest secrets, or, well I don't have to say any more."
She got the point. Imagine learning all that just by being near the person, and have their mutant ability as well. "So, you could use your ability to find out about people."
"That and I found out once that when I use ones mutant ability, I can use it against them, at least if my personality is in control."
"Wait a minute! What do you mean by that?"
"Can I explain that later? I do want to get a bit settled in."
"Okay." They had entered the guy's dorm and he was given a room on the main floor. She went to the door and checked it. "It's safe. Welcome to your room."
He went to the door. She was standing about four feet from the door. She didn't even realize that he mimiced her until he did the same thing and kicked the door open. When the door opened, he jumped away and a bucket of water tipped over and drenched the floor. He looked at her and said, "Let me guess. Practical jokers. That is totally bogus." After a couple of seconds, he said, "Let me guess, you suspected that might happen."
"Yeah, but..." He glanced at her with a wry smile and she stopped that thought. "Oh, I guess I was too close."
"Yea, but I made the first step." He walked into the room and shouted, "I love a single room, sometimes. Well, I guess we better head to that meeting. I am not getting any younger, and there are more mutants to meet." This guy seemed totally kewl. She thought, with him around, things might never be dull.

"Alright children, we must give our new student some kindness," Emma said. She had decided to mentally monitor Rich. Penance was still hiding, and they didn't know what would happen if she approached him. "Rich, why don't you tell the students about yourself and your abilities.
He nodded. He then turned to the class assembled in the hall and started to speak. "Well, my name is Richard Cale, but I prefer that you call me Rich. I discovered my mutant ability many years ago, but it has become a problem recently."
Paige had then asked, "How much of a mutant can you 'mimic'?"
"I can mimic their abilities, but I also mimic their personalities. I can learn things about them, including secrets, fears."
Monet decided to ask, "What about flaws?"
"If you talking about personal flaws with abilities, only if I am not in control of my personality. Now your own private flaws, that is another story. Now let's say, if you have an emotional problem, it also appears in me when I mimic your personality."
"What about mental and psycological problems?"
"The only one I won't mimic is epilepsy."
"Why?" It was Everett who had asked that question.
"Because, I'm epileptic. I can tell you this, if I appear to have an epileptic attack, scan my mind. If there are thoughts in there, it means that a mutant has gotten to close to me, and I am unwillingly getting there thoughts and abilities."
"Sound painful, senor." Angelo had remarked.
"It is, but it is not as painful as what happens to practical jokers that pull jokes on me." He gave a devilish smile in Angelo and Everetts's direction. Apparently the boys decided to try and pull a trick on him. "Besides, the bucket of water gag is a classic. I haven't heard of anyone being injured by being drenched. Internally, I was laughing at the reaction I would have given."
Franklin decided to ask, "What does it feel like when a mutant gets too close?"
"Well, it depends on the mutant. It can be a slight headache, or it could be...." He trailed off and collapsed. He started moving in spasms. She scanned his mind and found that there were conflicting thoughts in his head. She guessed what happened. Penance was near him.

Rich couldn't believe it. The pain, the trauma, it was enough to almost defeat his own personality. He saw thoughts in his mind, a war torn country, the image of a man wearing a mask. He couldn't picture anything else. He started moving his arms as if to knock this man away, but it wasn't working. He heard then in his mind a voice. It was sounded in a strange dialect, and language. He could identify it. He knew it as Serbo-Croatian. It sounded female. The voice was almost psionic but it was not like Ms. Frost's voice. It was as if this voice was asking him to talk to her. He opened his eyes the people were shouting at someone. He could all of a sudden remember his personality and finally it stopped. The person must have stepped away. He tried to speak, but it was a great strain. He looked at his hands. They were red and clawlike.

They all ran to the man. Penance couldn't believe it. As she approached him from the shadows, he had stopped talking and collapsed onto the floor. As she watched, he started turning into her. When everyone rushed to him, they seemed to realize something was happening and she was the cause. The girl that was related to Him, pointed in her direction and the man who was in charge started shouting something. It wasn't until Jubilee, the one that treated her like a sister motioned in a step back way. She stepped back and the man stopped thrashing.
The man started to get up and look around. He looked in her direction. His face and hair had taken on the same qualities as her. He looked like he was really concentrating and then said, "It's Okay. You didn't know about what would happen. I take it you can understand me now." It was in her native tongue. She was amazed. He was handsome in his way and she thought that he could truly understand. He then said, "We'll talk later, Ok." Upon which, he started to look normal again. Someone she could communicate with, someone who could talk with her. For the first time in her life since Him, she wasn't afraid at all.

The look of shock on his face as well as everyone else's were the same. To say that Angelo was shocked was understating the obvious. Not since his days in LA did he ever see something this shocking. The man spoke in a strange language and Penance understood every word. When he returned to a normal form, Sean said, "Lad, what the hell did ye say, and in what language."
Rich looked at everyone, then looked at Penance. He then turned back to everyone and said, "I spoke to her in her native tongue. I take it you didn't know she was Yugoslovian."
"How in the world did you figure that one out?" Monet asked. She was a bit dumb struck by this turn of events.
Rich looked at her and said, "You're the smart one, aren't you?"
"Yes, why?"
"You lack common sense. I have a relative exactly like that."
"How can you say such a thing?"
"Did you listen to what I said?"
"Of couse I did. I heard every word you said until.... Oh."
Jubilee smiled and said, "It's okay, Monet. He pulled the same thing on me."
Rich glanced in Penance's direction and she smiled. Rich returned the smile and said, "It appears I have made my first friend here."
"Lad, how did ye figured out she was from Yugoslavia?" Sean asked.
"Okay, I saw images of a war-torn country and I heard a language in my head. I somehow identified it as Serbo-Croatian. With rescent history, I do believe Yugoslavia is a war- torn country, and as part of a report on the country, I found out its language."
"You have a good memory." Everett said, obviously impressed.
"I remember trivia. It comes in handy sometimes."
"Well now, lad. I think you need a quiet tour to show you around. Angelo, I think you have the first task."
"Si, if you will follow me, Rich, I shall show you around the grounds, and over to the computer center."
Angelo headed out of the hall. In a couple of seconds, Rich fell into step behind him and said, "Lead the way, senor. By the way, what's your full name?"
"Oh, Angelo Espanosa. I come from L.A."
"So, what's it like around here?"
"It's quiet, except when there is a problem. We usually have problems that happen once a week here."
"Hey, it quieter than my home town. It was turning into the big city in leaps. I just had to get away."
"Well, it may seem you might be leaving one bad place for another." Angelo pulled out a cigarette and lit it up.
"What make you say that, other than your impersonation of a smoke stack?"
Angelo stopped in his tracks and turned. Rich had a huge grin on his face, not showing any teeth though. "I take it you have been taking lessons on smart remarks."
"Yes, I use the classics as well as making up new material."
"Well as I was saying before, you might see some troubles here. I think Monet is going to tell you about them, but we have encountered many strange things."
Rich let a smile cross his face, revealing a reason why he kept a bit of a frown. His teeth appeared to be crooked. "I like the sound of that," he said with a slight accent.
"What happened with your teeth, Rich?"
"That's the way they came in, and I didn't want braces. I know it looks strange. That is the reason that I don't smile too often."
They continued on and Angelo pointed out every place on the campus. Rich listen to everything and they eventually entered the main building. Angelo had lead Rich to the computer room where Monet was waiting. It was time for Rich to get the run down on the computer setup. Angelo had left to smoke another cigarette.

Monet watched as Angelo left. She still felt a little upset when she found out that Angelo had seen her diary. She waited until he was gone and turned to Rich. "Hello, Richard. My name is Monet St. Croix, and I would like to personally welcome you to the school."
Rich bowwed and said, "My pleasure to meet you. The way you act, you seen to come from a family of wealthy status. I hope I haven't jumped to any wrong conclusions."
"You seemed to be a nice person. Well, I have the duty of showing you the computer, as well as some of the files."
"Let me guess, Mr. Cassidy, or should I call him Sean, is worried about how I acted at the airport, and has drafted you to find out."
"I guess the secrets out."
"The truth can surface in ugly ways, Monet." She knew how true that was, but she didn't want to say anything to Rich about her brother until he saw the file.
"Well," she stepped over to the computer system, "this is our version of the Cerebro computer at the main school. It has a file on every mutant, and a copy of every enemy that Generation X has ever faced."
"Let me guess, so I know who to avoid."
"In a way, let me get a picture of the first one." She punched up the file of the X- Cutioner. A figure appeared in front of Rich and he just looked at it.
"Let's see, he must have a Grim Reaper fixation."
"In the worse way, The X-Cutioner is fixated on the termination of mutants. He wanted to destroy any mutant that he thought had commited a crime. Angelo told us that he went after him."
"Does he have any mutant abilities?"
"No." She notice that Rich made a motion as if he was thankful that this guy wasn't a mutant. "Let me show you the next enemy." She accessed the file on Omega Red. It could be a major problem if Rich turned into him.
"He looks like one unhappy camper. Did he get in the extra ugly line when God handed out looks."
"No. Science made him that way. He has the mutant ability to create a death spore."
"Yeesh. I hope I never meet him."
"Actually, only Jonothan was able to defeat him. Jonothan can't die, as far as we know."
Rich looked at the image as if he was wondering about what to do in case Omega Red did get near. "I think I should show you the file on one of our main problems." She brought up the file on her brother, Emplate. She knew that she could give them more information than what they had on Emplate, but, she still felt awkward about that knowledge. The image had came up and Rich screamed. She turned and saw him huddling in a corner, his face in his hands. "Did you see that in Penance's memories, the image of Emplate?"
He spoke in a shaky voice. "The hands. That is what Penance feared. He had seen me. I pray he didn't follow me. By the grace of God, may he not find me."
"Oh, dear. I'm going to get Sean. I think he might want to hear this." She left the room and ran to Sean's office.

**********************************************

When Monet told him that she discovered the reason for Rich's alarm, Sean was glad that they found the cause. He was not to happy with the state that Rich was in now. He followed Monet back to the computer room to see the one thing he hoped it wouldn't be. He saw Rich in the corner of the room, scared to move. What was in the center of the room was an image of Emplate. "Rich, are ye okay, lad?"
Rich was still curled in the corner and only muttered, "The hands. The hands."
He looked at the image of Emplate and then realized that must have tipped Rich off to Emplate's presence. He hadn't seen Emplate, maybe because he was not in synch with the dimension which they lived in. Maybe that couldn't be hidden from Rich. "Do you want to explain it, Rich?"
Rich's voice still shook in fear as he began, "When I left the plane and started in your direction, I had to shift the weight of my bags. When I did that, I notice holes were forming on my hands. I must have gotten close to him, but I couldn't see him. He could have attacked me without me realizing he was there. At least, he didn't approach me. But I fear he knows, I can't help but fear that he knows."
He turned to Monet and said, "I think you better talk to him about this, lass. You know more about Emplate than any of us, except maybe for Penance."
"Yes, sir." she said. Sean then turned off the file on Emplate and left the room. He figured that he should talk to Emma about this.

Rich glanced up and noticed the image had disappeared. He watch Sean leave the room and Monet was standing with a worried look on her face. He started to stand, a bit leary about what he had seen when Monet said, "I guess I should tell you about Emplate."
He wondered what in the world she knew about this monster. "What do you know about it?"
"Emplate, I am sad to say, is my brother."
He almost returned to the huddled state that he was in before. "He is your brother. My God, are you anything like him?"
"No. He hates me to the core. One reason for that is that he cannot sup on me."
"Sup?"
"He eats mutant genetic marrow. He would do the same to you, unless he can turn you into one like him."
"You mean to say, that he is a mutant vampire, and that you are immune to this creature?"
"Yes, when he revealed the relation between us, relations between the individual members and myself became tougher."
"I guess that could be a problem, to find out one of the team is related to a murderous mutant who wouldn't give a second thought to killing all of us." He could help but to keep more of a distance from Monet now, but he felt sorry for her. All because of Emplate, some members were shunning her. He started to wonder if Penance shunned her as well. "Monet, how much about Emplate do you figure Penance knows?"
She almost stopped with that thought. She gave an appearence that she was almost deep in thought when she said, "She could probably give you a personal account on what it is like to be a prisoner of Emplate. It is unknown how long she was in my brother's grip."
"I hope she doesn't mind me asking about it. I mean, after what I saw, I think I need the advice of someone who survived being his victim."
"Everett could also tell you something about that. A while back, my brother possessed him."
"I wonder who took that the harderest. Everett, or Jubilee."
"What do you mean?"
"I got abit close to Jubilee earlier. I found out that she likes Everett."
"Well, that is almost no secret, but you picked up on that before you were even told."
Rich felt abit awkward about that. That was one aspect of his powers that made him feel like he was losing control. It also made him feel like a voyeur. He then said to Monet, "I guess I should see the next item on the tour."
{That would be the med center.} He turned to see a guy, about his age, wrapped in black straps. He wondered about this.
"And you are?"
{Jonothan Evans Starsmore.}
"Oh, you are the one you defeated Omega Red? I must commend you. To defeat something like that, I must shake your hand." He started to walk over to Jonothan when all of a sudden, his mutant ability started to kick in. He felt a slight pain.
{Gov, I wouldn't suggest that...} An explosion knocked him away form Jono. He heard Monet yelling, but his ears were ringing from the explosion. He looked down and saw a flare of red right about where his chest had been. His clothing had still been in shape, but it appeared his skin and all was gone.
"What the hell happened in..." He heard Sean yell and as the Irish man saw him on the floor. "Let me guess, you got close to Jonothan, right?"
{I was going to congratulate him on his defeat of that Omega Red fellow. When I heard about it, I felt it was only right to congratulate him. This is odd though.} He then watched as his chested started to reform.
{I guess that is what will happen when ever you get close to a mutant and don't know their abilities.} Jono remarked. Rich gave him a look. This must have happened when Jono's ability first manifested.
Rich waited until his mouth had returned and said, "I think from now on, I should be informed upon everyones abilities. If anything like this is the norm, I would like to be informed."
"Agreed, lad." Sean said with an approving look. "Of those you have meet, Jono is psi- mutant. As you guessed with me, I have a sonic scream. Jubilee has the ability to produce explosive plasmoids. Angelo has the ability to control an extra six feet of skin that he has. Monet has super-strength, flight, night-vision and..."
Monet spoke up, "In other words, I'm perfect."
Rich turned to Monet and said, "Great, you don't exist. I hate figments of my imaginations."
Monet looked at him sternly and said, "What do you mean?"
"Monet, one of my hobbies is writing computer programs. In learning how to write them, I learned that nothing is perfect. Perfection is an illusion. If you were perfect, you would have to hide secrets."
Monet opened up her mouth and immediatly stopped. She almost went into a talk and then said, "Mon Deiu, you're right."
Rich then turned to Jono and said, "Jono, I think you better show me the medical center again, just in case of another incident or I have a seizure."
{Agreed.}

Paige walked into the med lab just as Jono had finished telling Rich about the features of the med lab. Sean had told her about his shake up and to be prepared. She knew that she was going to show him the Biosphere, and that Penance would probably be there as well. She hoped that there wouldn't be a repeat of the incident in the Assembly Hall, but there was no guarentee on that.
{I see that Paige is here,} said Jono as Rich turned to see her standing at the door. She nodded and he smiled. {I guess it is time that you see the Biosphere.}
Rich looked at him with a certain look that Paige couldn't identify. She knew that there was a bit of sadness in Jono's tone. Part of her was still hurt by his outburst back at her home, but part of her was upset. He jumped to a conclusion that was totally false. She turned to Rich and said, "Rich, Ah am Paige Guthre and Ah will show you the Biosphere." She motioned for him to follow her and she left the med center.
Rich followed her at his usual pace and when they were outside of the building, he said, "So, who made the mistake? Who let their mind or heart take control?"
Paige stopped and turned in defense. She was shocked at what Rich had said. Did he learn that from Jono. Sean had told her that he had Jono's ability briefly, and she figured he might have learned that. She decided to act as if she didn't know what he was talking about. She sternly said to Rich, "What do yah mean by that?"
Rich stopped and said, "If you think that I learned that from Jono, I didn't. He hasn't had as traumatic a life as Penance had. I recognized the look of lost love. I have had that look. In most cases, it was my mind that took control when my heart said it wasn't right. But I think that it is the other way around in yours and Jono's case. I think that your hearts both know it's right, but somebody's mind did the thinking and said it wouldn't work. Am I right?"
His tone was almost stern, but he didn't shout it. She stood still. Paige felt abit ashamed. She said, "You're right. Jono let his mind do the thinking, but you can't understand what it is to deal with?"
"I can't understand what it is to deal with a heart that says it will work, and a mind that says it won't? I can understand that. I was in a similar situation. My mind knew it wouldn't work between one girl and me, but my heart said it would. In some cases, the heart is right, while in others the mind is right. I think in your case, the heart is right. But, time will tell."
She let the words sink in. Rich seemed to know what he was talking about. She felt ashamed for thinking that he used his mutant ability to learn that information. She said to Rich, "Rich, Ah'm sorry for accusing you of using your abilities to find out about that. It's just, Ah haven't told anyone about that. Ah feel the only person that knows about that is Ms. Frost. Ah just thought that, well.."
"I understand. Believe me, its hard to keep things from me, especially if you are a mutant. I hate that part of my ability. It makes it hard to keep friends."
She smiled and said, "It's Okay. I think that your ability might make you more friends here than you know. Now, come on. You must see the Biosphere." She ran in the direction of the round building marked Biosphere.
"Hey, Paige. I was just wondering," he yelled as he tried to stay at her pace, "what is your mutant ability?"
"Oh, Ah'm a metamorph. Ah have the ability to transform myself into different substances, just by shedding my skin."
"Weird! I like it," he yelled as they reached the Biosphere. She opened the door and let him enter first. He then shouted as she entered the building, "Utopia."
"Beg ya pardon?"
"Utopia. Paradise. It appears to be a virtual paradise in here. Let me guess, Penance spends alot of time here."
"Yes, she does. We might run into her while we're in here. Ah hope she doesn't cause you to, well, you know."
"You mean like back in the assembly hall. Don't worry. I think she would rather have me as a friend."
"You are the first person to ever communicate with her. Ah think you might be a gift to all of us. Well, let me tell you about the Biosphere." Paige prepped for her prepared lecture on the Biosphere when she realized that Rich had stopped moving. She turned and saw that he was starting to change, but this time it wasn't as painful as it had been earlier. She then noticed standing about four foot from him was Penance. Penance seemed to be happy. Paige walked over to the two and pulled out an apple.
Penance looked in her direction almost cautiously and then saw the apple. Paige handed the apple to Penance and said, "Here you go, Penance. Ah figured you would be here."
The apple was instantaniously sliced, but Penance managed to hold onto the slices. She then took half the slices and handed them to Rich. He said something to her that Paige, herself, couldn't understand, but Penance understood as she smiled. The two just ate the apple and Paige decided that her lecture on the Biosphere wasn't as important as the possible chance at communiacting with Penance was.

Rich could tell that Penance was happy to see him. After the first encounter, he guessed that she trusted him. When he realized she was nearby, he stopped and looked at her. She came out of hiding and smiled. When Paige came over to them both and gave her an apple, he watched as it was instantaniously sliced in her hands. Penance then held up some of the slices to him. It was then he realized she also had psyonic abilities as she asked {Would you like some?}
He thanked her, aloud and watched as Paige just watched. He then said to Penance, {Penance, is that what everybody calls you?}
{No. Jubilee calls me Penny from time to time. She treats me like a sister.}
{Is that your real name, Penance?}
{No. My real first name is Yvette.}
{That is a lovely name. It seems to suit you.} She appeared to blush, but it was hard to tell because of how red her skin was. {Would it be Okay if I called you that?}
{I think that would be nice. You are the first person to ever comunicate with me.}
{Didn't any one else talk with you?}
{Alright, the first person I feel totally safe with. The firey one, he spoke with me a couple of times, although I didn't understand what he said. I got the impression that he and the others didn't want to hurt me, although I hurt her.}
Rich looked at Paige and said to Penance, {You mean Paige Guthrie.}
{If that is her name, I'm not sure. We are communicating in, I guess, my language. I'm surprised that you understand it, being American. When I first arrived, the only thought in my mind was to leave and live free. I had been a prisoner of Him for years. When the skin-ripper attacked me, I fought in defense.}
{Note to myself: Do not get on your bad side.} He saw her act as if she was chuckling. He had made a friend for sure.
{You are funny. I hope you never run into Him. You might lose that and your life. I'm still recovering, which is why I very rarely trust any one. Jubilee, the one with sparks, is the only person I truely trust, but I can't talk to her. When you arrive and could speak to me, I felt safe for the first time since Him.}
Rich started to shudder. He started feeling the fear he felt earlier. He felt that he better try and ask now than later. {Yvette, my mutant ability is allowing me to talk with you, and use your abilities. On my way here, I think He saw me. I sensed Him, and I am scared by this. I'm afraid I might turn into Him. Can you tell me what it was like? I may need help.}
Yvette seem to shudder for a moment and finally, {I will tell you all I know. I lost my parents in the war. I lost most of myself to Him, I don't want to lose someone like you to Him.}
Rich's eyes went wide. Did he just hear what he thought he heard. He said {Yvette, did you just say what I think I heard?}
She looked like she was almost embarrassed. She finally replied, {Yes. I think I might be falling in love with you.}
When he heard that, he felt like he could have been knocked over with a feather. {Well, now. I haven't just made a friend. I just might have made a girlfriend.} He let a small smile show and said, {Later on, I'll stop by and you can tell me about Him, or as they call Him, Emplate. I might even try to teach you some English.}
Yvette smiled. {I think that would be terrific. I could talk to Jubilee, the noisemaker, His relation, the firey one, the skin-ripper, the one that extends his skin, the glowing man, the changer, or even the mind witch. I could also talk with the little boys or, most importantly, you.}
{Ok. See you here tonight, Okay} She nodded and bounded off. He glanced at Paige and she seemed to wonder what in the world had just happened. He then heard what sounded like some children coming their way.


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page