CREATIVE COOKING:
How to Put the Fear of God Into Your Classmates
written by Amphitrite



"I'm hungry.....we got any double-choco-chunk cookies left?" Jubilees face was hopeful, eyes dancing. Her sugar buzz was fading, and she was craving sweets.

"Sorry, chica. Es no cookies left. Artie and Leech had an after dinner snack, which ended up being the entire bag." Angelo stretched out his arm, changing the channel on the TV manually without moving from his spot on the couch. Penny had tried to flip stations with the remote last weekend, and it was reduced to plastic and metal bits before anyone figured out what she wanted. Sean hadn’t been out to Radio Shack to pick up a new one yet. It would be the third new remote since January. The Radio Shack employees must be getting suspicious.

"We got any sugar bombs?" Jubes grinned, thinking rapidly.

"Ummmm....." Paige turned away from "5th element" playing on HBO. That was a dangerous question. Around 10 pm on a Friday night, Jubes was particularly unpredictable. "Yeah. There was a two for one sale at the grocery store, we bought an extra box for ya...." Paige's voice faded down to nothing when the other girl sprung out of her chair, vaulted over the back of the couch, almost knocking it over.

~'ey Jubes! Where ya goin all of a sudden?~ Jono watched her sudden burst of activity warily.

"Gonna make some Sugar Bomb Treats!" She giggled happily. This couldn’t be that hard. After all, there were only 3 ingredients. Marshmallows, butter, and Sugar Bombs.

Jono, Paige, Monet, Ev, Penance and Angelo looked at each other. This couldn’t possibly be good.

"Angelo, if explosions start, you'll go see if its safe, right?"

"Nuh-uh M. I'm not bein your sacrifice to the pagan goddess of sugar over there. There is NO way..." The rest of Gen X turned and looked at him. His argument struggled, wilted, died, turned to ash and blew away. He sighed with the attitude of a martyr. "Alright, alright....."

Jubilee shoved her hair out of her face, squinting at the directions on the Sugar Bombs box."Who needs 'em anyways? All I gotta do is melt the butter and stick the rest of the stuff in. No biggie. Maybe I'll just improve on the recipie a little bit." After turning on the oven and sticking the biggest pot she could find over the burner, Jubilee picked up a stick of butter. *huh. don’t remember how much to use...might as well use the whole thing. *She dropped the butter in the pot with a splat. It melted quickly, so she emptied a bag of marshmallows in the pot. Then the cereal. *Oops. wasn’t supposed to do that. I'll just mix it up and it'll be fine...wonder what else'd be good in here.* Stirring the mix until it refused to move around and would only cling to the spoon, the cabinet for the baking supplies caught her eye. "Hmmmm...."

By now, the clattering and not quite right smell of Jubilee's cooking had reached the rest of the students. Ev nudged Skin in the side. "Go check. No one knows what she could possibly be making in there."

"Ya'll, maybe if we lucked out, she found a way to beat Emplate." Doubtful looks shot in Husk's direction. "Jus' tryin to think positively..."

Reluctant to leave the safety of the group, Angelo headed to the kitchen.

"Oooh! Multi-colored sprinkles!" Sprinting over to the pot, she dumped half the bottle of condensed sugar into the already multi-colored mix.

"Hey Jubetica. Whatcha doin with those Nerds?" Angelo stuck his head cautiously into the room.

"Nerds? Thought they were sprinkles. Oh well. Its fruity flavored now!" She declared triumphantly. After setting the container down next to half a dozen more on the counter, she turned around. "Wanna try some?"

"Lemme see what you cooked up first chica." Approaching the pan cautiously, he looked inside. Instead of a proper white and cereal colored mix, Jubilee's creation was colored green with what he hoped was food dye, Nerds and what he thought were sprinkles all stuck to the marshmallow goop. "That’s, er....interesting. Good science project?"

"Nope. Good snack." After tossing in a handful of Pez for good measure, she set about cleaning up the kitchen.

"Shure....lemme help you clean up." They cleaned in relative silence, Jubilee humming "Who Needs Sleep?" by Barenaked Ladies happily. Angelo said a silent prayer to whatever gods may have deigned to listen right then that he'd make it out of the kitchen in one peice.

"The chaos seems to have died down in there. Perhaps we should check in on our dear team mates?" Monet looked from face to face, seeing only fear or disbelief. Penance simply pretended not to hear. Or maybe she really didn't.

~'e can get himself out of this one, Sunshine.~

With a little bit of work, the kitchen was actually back to normal. Normal in this case meaning that there was evidence of a floor, and that all boxes and containers were shoved into whatever cabinets may bold them. There was a definite, spill-free path leading from the door and around the kitchen. The pot was resting in a sinkful of scalding hot water in hopes of dissolving the excess batter. Compared to an average day, this was immaculately clean, suprising Angelo, since it had looked more like the Keebler Elves had waged a war with 'The Powers That Be' at Nestles when he first walked in.

"Angelo, your arm's in the butter."

"Chica, I'm all the way over here........oh. Sorry." Pulling his skin back, he wiped the butter off. A quick poke proved that the Sugarbomb Treats (and I'm calling them that loosely) had congealed enough to be consumed. Wielding a Ginsu Knife to cut through the inches of sugary-goodness, Angelo still struggled. "Uhm...Jubetica? Any idea why these are so...stiff?"

"Yup! I added Cherry 7-Up!"

"Ta-da! Who wants some?" Beaming happily, Jubilee bounded into the living room, displaying a plate overflowing with her concoction. The rest of the team exchanged looks of confusion and mild bewilderment at the plate of oddly colored, overly shiny, candy filled cuboidal wonders that sat on the plate she set down in front of them. Penny scratched at one with her index finger, and yanked back her hand, startled when it stuck to her finger like superglue, and proceeded to dangle from the end of one clawlike digit. She shook her hand back and forth furiously, and the sugarized-miracle glided gracefully off of her finger with the sound of snapping bubblegum, soared for a blissful moment, hovered, and landed with a distinct *splatt* on an old TV guide. Penance examined her finger carefully, then gaped in shock at the lumpy collection of sugar, marshmallows, and more sugar laying on the old magazine, devising a plan of attack.

"Ah...Ah'll try one." Husk picked up a green square delicately between her fingers and bravely took a bite. "Hey, these aren't bad!"

FIN

Ps: A quick note from Amphitrite:

As much as it may disturb you, this is based on an actual experience of mine. My friend and I were horribly bored and paused the movie we were watching to make ourselves a snack. What started off as Rice Krispies Treats ended up pink, supersticky, with both Nerds and Cherry 7-Up mixed in as well as sprinkles, Pez and M&Ms. They are now called "Sugar Bomb Treats" and we have actually recorded the recipe, vaguely. >Insert evil laughter here< E-mail me, and I'll send it ta you.


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page