THE COMING OF CHANGE written by A.J. Mathews


The Coming of Change

(For the record… Italic words are telepathy, and this is a sequel, of sorts, to Monet’s Breakdown.)

Chapter 1.

Sean! Sean Cassidy, get up right now! shouted Emma Frost in her fellow headmaster’s mind, standing outside of his door. Sean murmured something under his breath at the mental intrusion.

I don’t care if you have a girl in your bed right now! We just received news from the X-men. Of course, if you’d rather not hear what they said… Emma added sweetly.

“Ah! I’m up, Emma! What is so important?” he asked as he slammed the door open, and came out in his pajama bottoms.

They want to know if we can take in some new team members, since the newest X-babies have graduated. What should I tell them? Emma sounded… unsurprised.

“You don’t sound too surprised. I’m not sure everyone would welcome new recruits right now, especially with Jubilee being pregnant… Then again, when is a good time to bring in new recruits?” Sean wondered.

I’m surprised they didn’t ask sooner. I knew it was coming since most of the team joined X-Factor, and we have empty rooms. I don’t know, though. You might be right. I’m intrigued by one of them– a girl. She is one of the most powerful telepaths on Earth, according to Jean Summers. She may even surpass her and Rachel one day, according to Foresight. Emma mused.

“Emma, please talk out loud. Ye are giving me a headache! It’s too early in the morning for this!” Sean said in an irritated tone. “Another telepath, eh? Who else is on the list for us?”

Emma muttered, The things I do for you… “They also want to send us two boys– one who can shape rock, and another who can float in mid-air. The downside is their ages: 14, 15, and 16. All of our team members are 16 or older... What do you think? Should we?”

“Might as well. Maybe it’ll give Jubilee a chance to relax– maybe stop Everett from fretting all the time, at least about her,“ stated Sean. “Give them the ok, this time. I’m going back to bed.”

Don’t you mean you’re going back to your lover? Emma snickered softly, as she walked towards her office.

“EMMA!” Sean turned beet-red. He slammed the door to his room

Emma almost floated to her office, happy to have one-upped Sean Cassidy.

Chapter 2.

The next day, Monet, Paige, Jubilee, Everett, a few of the other boys, and the headmasters stood waiting for the Blackbird to land.

“What will they be like, Ah wonder?” said Paige in her hayseed accent.

“We won’t know until they get here,” said Jubilee, as Everett massaged her shoulders. “Oh, that feels good.”

“Look, there it is!” cried Monet.

Remember to behave yourselves, team, said Emma firmly. We don’t want to give them a bad first impression.

“Just act like yourselves,” Sean added, as the Blackbird landed on the grass in front of them.

The doors opened, and Rouge and her husband, Joseph, walked off.

“Welcome back, Rouge and Joseph!” cried Jubilee.

Rouge smiled, and said, “Generation X, may I introduce you to-” a tan boy with long brown hair walked off, wearing a pair of blue jeans and a sleeveless yellow t-shirt, “Wind Chaser,” a second  boy walked off, with exotic-looking silver hair and eyes, wearing a blue t-shirt and black jeans- “Shale,” and a petite looking girl followed Shale, with very long silvery-red hair and emerald-green eyes, wearing dainty sandals on her feet, dangly earrings, with a royal-purple shirt on that emphasized the roundness of her eyes and the severe thinness of her face and arms, with a blue jean skirt on, that showed her legs were very thin, as well, “and NightScream. I do hope you will make them feel at home here. We,” she gestured to herself and Joseph, “have to return as quickly as possible.” “Next time, we’ll come back for a longer visit, Jubilee,” said Joseph gently, seeing the hurt in her face. “But the X-Men are in the middle of a project, so…”

“It’s ok,” Jubilee said, all the time feeling a bit resentful that they couldn’t feel the need to stay and talk a while longer, that they could spend more time with strangers than her.

“Bye, guys,” Rouge called as they boarded the plane and took off again.

Well… I think the first order of business is to get the real names– not code names from our new team-mates, said Emma on a tight telepathic band to the older Gen X team, putting an emphasis on team-mates.

NightScream looked over at Emma, and frowned slightly because the ‘pathing had not been sent to herself, Shale, and Wind Chaser. You know, that’s kinda rude, she said in a crystal-clear voice, making sure everyone heard her mental voice.

What? Emma said, looking over at her with surprise and shock.

Ignoring us like we’re not here– talking about us behind our backs. It’s rude. Wind Chaser frowned, and Shale looked at him nervously.

I didn’t mean to be rude, NightScream, Emma said in a neutral tone, at the same time wondering how the girl had managed to penetrate her ‘pathing. “What are your real names, then?”

Wind Chaser stepped forward confidently. “My name is Kevin Rasputin, son of Peter and Kitty Rasputin.”

Shale and NightScream looked at each other to see who should go next. Shale cleared his throat and said, “My name is David, son of Rouge and Joseph.”

Sean and the others were surprised when he didn’t state a last name.

NightScream stepped forward, and with a surprising Irish lilt in her voice, she said, “My name is Katerine.”

“But who are your parents, Katerine,” said Monet jealously, trying to figure out where this girl– who had all of the guys except Everett and Sean Cassidy staring at her, got her looks and genes.

Katerine cocked her head to one side. “My mother died when I was born. I don’t know who she or my father were.”

“Oh.” Monet thought Katerine was trying to hide who her parents were, and sent a private thought to Jubilee, who, was the only person so far who could hear her limited telepathic voice. She’s not very friendly, is she? Trying to act all high and mighty on us by hiding her parents from us.

Jubilee looked back, and shrugged. It could be she really doesn’t know who her parents are. She seems… shy. Maybe she’s just nervous or tired.. After all, it was a long plane trip, even for the Blackbird.

I think she thinks she’s too good for us. Just look at the way she talked back to Emma– who is now her headmaster as well. And you better guard Everett around her. Look at the way the guys are drooling– it’s disgusting, Jubilee.

Jubilee frowned, and looked over at the guys. All of them were staring, except for Everett and Sean. Everett’s not looking at her that way. Anyway, I trust him.

Katerine frowned again, looking directly at Jubilee and Monet. She was tired of people ‘pathing behind her back. Emma caught sight of the frown, and looked over at Jubilee and Monet. She could hear their ‘pathed conversation, which meant Katerine probably could too, judging by that frown.

JUBILEE! MONET! Stop ‘pathing to each other right now! Emma motioned for Sean to escort Katerine, David, and Kevin to their rooms. You know, Katerine heard every word you were saying. You may want to apologize to her, because that is exactly what I did not want to happen. You, Monet, will go straight to your room. Jubilee, you will help those three settle in instead of cleanup. Let that be a lesson to you.

Katerine, David, and Kevin walked in silence behind Sean, who was worried. Katerine was reflecting on what the X-Men had told her about how friendly the GEN X team was. Not with that Monet around! she thought, feeling more hurt than angry. She cast a look at David and Kevin. “Hey, David and Kevin, after we get settled, will you come to my room?” she asked, with her backpack making her arms look even thinner

“Sure,” they agreed. David thought Katerine looked like an angel and kept shooting admiring glances at her.

Sean looked back at them. “Monet didn’t know any better, Katerine. She doesn’t know ye very well yet.”  The girl was truly nothing but skin and bones he thought. They’d have to get her up to her proper weight again.

Sean sighed. “Monet tends to be a little arrogant at times, Katerine. Give her time.”

Katerine nodded quietly, as she opened the door to the room he gestured to. Sean wondered why she only had one backpack while David and Kevin both had two suitcases, but decided not to question her right now. “Come down for dinner around 8, ok? Ye have three hours until then to get settled.” He walked down the hallway to show Kevin and David their rooms, then proceeded to go to his office.

Katerine entered her room, walked to the bed and sat down. She opened her backpack, and took out a few clothes, books, and toiletries. She placed her clothes in the closet, her toiletries in the bathroom, and her two books on the bookshelf. Even to her eyes, her room was pathetically bare. She laid down on the bed to wait. When a knock sounded on the door, she said, Come in, thinking it was David or Kevin. Instead, Jubilee entered. Oh… I thought it was Kevin and David. What is it? Jubilee’s eyes widened slightly as she took in the few items that had actually been placed in the room by Katerine. She noted the few clothes in the closet, before turning to Katerine, who had a wary expression on her face. I came to see if you were done packing yet? I also wanted to apologize. Monet and I didn’t mean to offend you. We’re just used to, well, to not being overheard.

I see. “How far along are you?” Katerine asked, her curiosity getting the better of her.

“Six months next week,” Jubilee said with a smile.

“Is it a boy or girl?” Katerine asked, suddenly feeling one of her other powers growing. Her power to ‘see’ things rarely kicked in, but when it did it was always right.

“I don’t know, I wanted it to be a surprise, but then the baby never got in the right position. Are you ok?” Jubilee asked worriedly for Katerine had suddenly gone slack and paler, with her eyes closed. “Katerine?” Katerine? Jubilee was getting worried. EMMA! she cried when she got no response.

Katerine heard Jubilee faintly through a haze, as her ’vision self’ gazed at another Jubilee, lying near death, with the baby gone. But where did the baby go? she asked, as she wondered how she even knew that the baby was gone. She began looking for it– a girl, she suddenly knew. A little girl.

Katerine? Emma Frost started to get worried. The X-Men never mentioned this. SEAN! Something’s wrong with Katerine. I can’t get her conscious.

Sean jumped at the mental intrusion. He raced down the hall into Katerine’s room, nearly running over David and Kevin, who followed him, thinking something was wrong. “What’s wrong with the wee lass, Emma?”

Didn’t you hear me? She can’t wake up? Jubilee, now what were you doing.

Nothing! We were just talking. She asked me when I was due and I said six months… then she asked me, “Boy or girl?” and then she just went like this.

Katerine drifted in a haze…. She had never been lost in a vision so long! Unsure of where and when she was, until she remembered. Not again… Please! Not again! I don’t want to be here alone anymore!

But you can never escape me….. Never! No matter where you go, I will find you. You cannot escape from me again! I am Eclipse! I would have had you long ago had Professor Xavier not interfered. You will be mine…. Body and soul... forever!

NO!! Katerine felt other voices near her….

Katerine, come back…. Please come back!

HELP ME! she cried to the voices.
Monet was sitting in her room, remembering the hurt look on Katerine’s face when she had overheard her and Jubilee talking. For some reason, the new girl seemed almost familiar, like she’d met her somewhere before, in another time and place. As she traced the scar across her right eye, she suddenly gasped. She wondered, could that girl- Katerine- be Katya? Suddenly she heard a mental cry: HELP ME! She was stunned, for it was Katerine. Why would she ask for help after the way I treated her. Monet felt guilty about that. She regretted that she had acted so jealously and hastily, in judging her. DON”T LEAVE ME ALONE! The cries echoed in her head. She reflected on the voice and then gasped. She flinched, then walked to the doorway. When she opened the door, she looked down the hallway and saw a crowd gathered at Katerine’s room. What’s going on, I wonder? Monet walked down the hallway, wincing as the cries continued. She felt an overwhelming sense of loneliness, a despair and fear… “Headmaster, what’s going on?”

“What do you mean,” Sean asked.

Monet pointed at Katerine, flinching as the cries continued. “I can hear her screaming… inside my head. Cries for help.”

Monet? You can hear her? cried Emma.

Monet nodded silently.

Try ’pathing to her. None of us can reach her!

“Ok, Ms. Frost. I’ll try. Only Jubilee has ever heard me, though.” Monet thought back, and remembered that she and Katya had been able to ‘link’ powers almost a year ago. Katerine? Katerine, can you hear me?

Katerine was despairing of ever finding her way back when she suddenly heard Monet’s voice reaching through the haze. Monet? Is that you? Katerine was too relieved to be angry.

“My god, she heard me. Ms. Frost, I thought only Jubilee could hear me!” Monet sounded stunned.

Try to reassure her that we are trying to find a way to bring her back, Emma Frost said urgently.

Katerine, Ms. Frost says she’s trying to bring you back, but something is blocking her ability.

I’m afraid.. . Katerine’s fear was felt by Monet, who physically trembled.

Try to follow me back, then, if you can’t follow Ms. Frost.

Ok. Katerine psychically grabbed onto Monet’s mental voice and slowly began dragging herself back to awareness.

As Katerine opened her eyes, she was aware of Jubilee’s tears and David’s fear that she was dead. Did I miss dinner? she asked, still feeling groggy.

The whole room let up with cries. “You’re back!”

Ms. Frost looked straight at Katerine. What, exactly, happened to you, young lady? She sounded worried and angry.

Katerine looked at Monet and Jubilee. Should I be worried that she looks like that? Ms. Frost looked stern, worried, and angry. Both nodded, with amusement.

I’m not sure what happened, Ms. Frost. I got...trapped somehow and couldn’t get back.

“I thought we’d lost ye, lass,” said Sean.

Katerine looked at Monet. Thank you for helping me… I know you don’t really like me, do you?

Actually, I’m sorry for the way I acted earlier. I was jealous… All the guys think you’re so pretty.

Me? Pretty? Katerine sounded so stunned that Monet knew she wasn’t joking. She also noticed that Katerine didn’t have many belongings in her room, but didn’t say anything.

Know what, Jubes? We need to have a party for our new friends.

So you decided that they aren’t so bad after all?

No, I just want to throw a party. Something in Monet’s face prevented Katerine from saying anything.

I’m sorry I scared everybody. I didn’t mean to.

I’m more curious as to why it was Monet who you could hear instead of us, mused Emma.

Monet looked at her teacher, and she shrugged.

Maybe it was guilt? Or maybe you two have more in common than you thought. How she heard you in the first place, let alone used you as a beacon to come back from… wherever she was, is astonishing.

“All I know is that it terrified her… because it terrified me. She was deadly afraid of that place.”

Emma looked surprised, then nodded slowly. Strange… you could feel her emotions? I wonder if you two are soul mates, Monet.

I’m not sure about that, Ms. Frost. I think I know her… from almost a year ago. Katya! I think she’s Katya. She looks just like her. She did promise she would come back.

You could be right, Monet. She still has that incredible aura of power surrounding her, a year later. But she’s so much older than she was.

Monet thought back on how young Katya/Katerine had been then and how old she was now. She walked over to Katerine. Katerine, this might sound crazy, but do you remember, when you were a child, getting kidnapped by a man who tried to drain your psychic energy? Do you remember being rescued by a group of mutants? Was your name Katya?

Katerine gasped. How did you know that I keep having dreams like that?

Monet shook her head. I remember it, because it actually happened. Monet turned her full face towards Katerine.

You got that from him, didn’t you? That bad man. I was too young to remember most of the details. It was you! You rescued me from him, Katerine gasped. You were my friend. And afterwards, I had to leave. I couldn’t stay any longer. But I promised to come back because we were friends. You do not appear as unhappy now as you were then. Come; let me heal that for you. Katerine held her hand out, and gently touched the year-old scar. Everyone in the room gasped when it glowed for a minute, then healed over with smooth, new skin.

My face! It’s back to normal, after so long! Thank you so much! Monet said. She could ‘feel’ that Katerine was pleased to have made her happy. Maybe we really are soul-mates, she mused.

Would you mind being soul-mated to Katerine? asked Emma Frost her quietly.

Monet looked over at Katerine slowly, who had for once not overheard the question. She watched Katerine talking to David and Jubilee softly. She smiled, and then she shook her head slowly.

The End


tigrrwildcat@hotmail.com
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page