An Alternate Ending Part 2 : Daria
By ME! Otherwise know as Jeanne!

"Sure you won't reconsider?" Jubilee yelled into Daria's ear. Even so, Daria barely heard her for the force of the wind rushing by.

"No! I have an idea!" Daria yelled back, diving steeply to avoid another plasma blast. Jubilee squeeled, grabbing tightly to Daria, squinting her eyes shut. 'Guess she doesn't like being a thousand and more feet up!' Daria thought hysterically.

For that matter, even she wasn't very comfortable up this high, not that Daria would ever admit it to herself. It wasn't too long ago that she'd thought of herself as a normal human girl, before she'd found out that there was nothing left of her humanity but a few shreds of DNA and alot of machinery.

A second and third plasma blast shot by Daria, making her pull up sharply and almost knocking Jubilee off. "We need to get away! We have to hide!" Jubilee screamed.

Daria kept silent, her eyes searching the ground below. A steady murmuring sound behind her was coming closer, the sound of Prime Sentinals hunting their prey. "Hang on!" she yelled back to Jubilee. 'I hope she heard' she thought numbly 'because if not, she's in for a surprise! '

Then, without another word, Daria fell from the sky.

If Jubilee screamed, Daria couldn't have heard her over her own fear. The wind rushing by...the agitation of Primes behind her, sensing their escape...the shock of the impact, so close she could almost feel it, smashing her body, spreading pieces of atoms over the desert floor below...

For one precious moment, Daria didn't act.

Then, all that was left was action. Daria pulled up as gently and slowly as she could, still going fast. Above her, a sound like a falling bomb overtook them and passed. The Prime hit the ground and exploded, an arc of fire drifting lazily upwards before any sound could be heard.

The light illuminated a nearby canyon, and hardly thinking, Daria turned landed in it. The walls rose up thousands of feet, blocking out the sky and the hunters. It was peaceful, quiet inside, almost as if the fight above was from another world. Daria dropped hevily to the ground, Jubilee sliding off and hitting hard.

"Jubilee?!" Daria asked anxiously. She looked over to where Jubilee was.

"Ohhhh, my head," Jubilee moaned. She weakly lifted her head up from the ground and looked around. "Oh, good, we lost them. Wake me up when the world stops spinning."

Thunder came from the sky, disloging a few rocks and causing a small landslide. "I didn't hear that," Jubilee said, "It was a figment of my imagination." She sat up suddenly. "Can they see us?!"

Daria looked around her, then pointed to a small building in the distance, on top of another plateau. "No, see that up there? That's a radio station, it confuses the Prime's senses below a hundred feet. You should be safe enough if you stay down here."

"If I stay down here? What about you?" Jubilee asked.

"There's a highway about twenty or so miles away from here. Stick to the path through here, and you'll come up to it. You can hitch a ride somewhere if your lucky." Daria ignored Jubilee's question.

"What are you going to do? Daria?" Jubilee asked again, stubbornly.

Daria looked Jubilee squarely in the face. "Someone has to drive the Primes off. They're not the brightest of all, but they're smart enough to figure out that if they're up there, then we're down here. If the Primes dont' get us, the Hounds will. One of us has to drive them off, make them think we're still running scared."

"And your going to do it." Jubilee state flately.

"Yes."

"NO! You can't do it! The XMen never left a friend, and I'm not going to start the tradition." Jubilee said empethetically, stabbing her finger at Daria.

"Try and stop me then. You still have a chance to escape, Jubilee. TAKE IT." Daria turned and was in the air before Jubilee could so much as open her mouth. Soaring into the line of fire, Daria had no hope left...not for herself, anyways. There was plenty left over for Jubilee. Every lost dream Daria could not recall...every hope she had lost...every fiber of her being...all joined together for one, final strike.

:There's the Daria unit! Get her!:  :Where's the mutant?:  :Get the Daria unit, and Bastion will force it out of her!:

The drone of the Primes behind her chilled Daria. To think of murder so coldly, so cruelly, as if it was only a tool to be used. This, she relizes, is why she helped Jubilee escape. Why she now sacrifices her own existance for anothers.

Daria didnt' even have to look over her shoulder to know that the Primes were right behind her. 'Fine' Daria thought furiously 'You want to play, we'll play!' She banked to her left, and dropped a few feet down. An overeager Prime, anxious to catch her, grabbed her leg. Daria kicked out viciously, hitting him in his face and sending him off balance. It fell, hitting the one behind it, and with comical slowness the two fell.

A third Prime on the sidelines opened up with his plasma blasts. Another came up on Daria's other side, trying to box her between them, but with a twist and a kick, Daria was away, the Prime's last shot scorching her shirt before taking out the other Prime dead center in the chest. 'Four down, several hundred to go,' Daria thought darkly.

A bullet suddenly ripped thru Daria's arm. Drops of blood followed her down as she lost her balance and fell a few precious feet. The Primes closed in, sensing her weakness, not allowing her a moment's respite. With an effort, Daria closed off her pain sensors, concentrating on staying out of reach.

A movement off to her side. Daria's head whipped around, but she was too late. The Primes where all around her, their red eyes glaring, murmuring mechanical voices speaking in a code that surely meant nothing good for her. With a feral grin, Daria devised a plan.

She fell...


And with her last breath, screamed a battle cry, a cry of agony for herself and all the others destroyed by one man's insane visions.

She smashed herself into the ground, the Primes falling after her. Dust and sand flew up into the air, the explosion right behind them. A fireball blossomed.

And when Daria hit, she did it with a smile.


clm@nbnet.nb.ca
Back to the Main Page
Back to FanFiction Page